Home

The One Year Thread Redux

I told yall it would return! And we're gonna do it this time. From Jan. 1, 2005 to Jan. 1 2006 we're gonna have a post for every day, mark out every frickin ass holidary, whatever the hell I said we'd do in the first one. Now put on your T.O.G.A.s men, raid Niner's wallet, bust out Thrawn's SSD, get SETI up in the, bring out the L337 Crew, open up with the slave girls, onward with the Rebel Loyaltist Newbie Bitches and lets do this mother****er!

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

doesn't anyone remember being disappointed in the lack of substance from the last Year thread? I think we should try to make this a kind of blog or something to record what is happening in our lives, how we think about things, so that we can compare ourselves a year or more later.

yeah that sounds like a good idea....

time to start up Halo 2 on Legendary since I beat it on all the other settings.

yeah...

i'll be without a job in a month. go me.

i currently work at the jay group packaging bottles of listering in a factory/assembly line thing. i'll miss this job as it's so damn easy for $8 an hour...

--- January 1st, 2005

Woke up early this morning a bit after 8 AM and proceeded in playing Planescape: Torment. At about 12 PM I decided to stop because I felt like I've been spending too much time already in this game and I wanted to do something productive like studying and reading on various subjects of interest. Alas I failed and have been procrastinating up until now. I should have kept on playing Torment.

I will play some more tonight after diner and hopefully tomorrow I will be reading on stuff that needs to be read and studied on my behalf.

I've been playing so much because the past year I've haven't seriously played any games and now that I have a bit of free time I can.

I will conclude with a message for myself in the future: I hope you've managed to control your procastination and have gone far in learning what you are currently studying in your free time right now. And I sure hope you don't waste you're time doing nothing like you end up doing most of the time.

I know we have secrets... I just forget what they are.

edlib's journal entry 1/1/05

Slept in a bit late since I had to work last night. Did sound for 2 somewhat mediocre local bands.

Practiced guitar for about an hour. Did a little sketching.

Got an e-mail from a buddy from college that I haven't heard from in a while telling me of a change in his e-address. Took the opportunity to e-mail him a much longer message back. (I will strive to stay in better touch with old friends this year.)

Watched a couple of DVDs I picked up real cheap on an excursion to a local Wal*Mart: "The Missing," a western with Cate Blanchett and Tommy Lee Jones (pretty good... a little long) and "Frankenstein" with DeNero and Kenneth Branaugh (also good, although some of the acting was a wee bit overboard. I understand that this adaptation is the closest to the source material ever captured on film. It certainly was different from all the other versions I have ever seen. I need to read the book now. I wonder if I can find it on the web? It must be in public domain by now...) Also, Helena Bonham Carter is a serious babe. And watching both these movies back to back (as well as "Gangs of New York" the other night) has given me a renewed appreciation for the appearance of women wearing corsets. I'm sure they're uncomfortable as hell, but... damn!

I think I'll play a bit more guitar now... after a look through a few more threads around here. Then I have to start thinking about dinner.

Captain's Log Stardate January 2 2005. Point four.

I spent all day watching college football. Also Utah had some really hot cheerleaders. Perhaps I will look into Utah for grad school.

I recently have come to enjoy a new band and one singer. The band is Lillix and I am uncertain why this appeals to me. The singer is Hayley Westenra and she has probably the best voice I have ever heard in my entire life.

I acquired additional ideas concerning my book/novel/poorly constructed series of events. The cute girl is a jerk to that guy. Future-me will understand what this means when I forget this sometime tomorrow and read this in a week, I hope.

Originally posted by Nute Gunray

... Lillix and I am uncertain why this appeals to me.

Hmmm... I think might be able to venture a wild guess...

falling-uphill-large.jpg

Cute girls. I've never heard thier music,.. but I think would go see them. Didn't they appear in a contact-lens commercial?

The Pussycat Dolls is another group that I would travel almost any distance to see, regardless of the fact I have no idea what kind of songs they do. Honestly,.. it doesn't matter! Check them out: http://www.pussycatdolls.com/media.html

Hubba hubba!

Anggun is an old favorite of mine as far as pure pop female vocalists goes. She has a new single and video. This one feels more influenced by Beyonce-style modern pop than anything she has ever done in the past... but despite the fact it really doesn't showcase her prodigious vocal chops, it is still catchy and sexy.

http://www.anggun.com/Clip.html

Originally posted by edlib

Cute girls. I've never heard thier music,..

Very pop-rock-pretend-punk-Avril Lavigne-whatever. Same producer as Avril, I think, even. One of their songs (Its About Time) is used by some show on the WB or some such. I recognized the song once I got the CD, but didn't know who had performed it previously. They also had a song in the movies Freaky Friday (the Lindsay Lohan remake obviously) and the Jennifer Garner Big rip-off 13 Going On 30. Big was an awesome movie.

Big is indeed one of the time-tested classics. It's funny to think when it was made nobody really took Tom Hanks seriously.

1/2/05

Went out for breakfast (the one meal I never want to cook.) Went grocery shopping. Almost too much excitement for one day.

Returned e-mail to friend, promising to get together soon. Must hold myself to that promise and make it soon and not procrastinate over it.

Watched DVDs of 3-day festival Clapton put on last summer as a fund-raiser. Some great guitar playing, but was overall a bit disappointed in the general blues-heavy set of songs chosen, and the exclusion of both Jeff Beck and Pat Metheny from the DVDs, although they both played.

Also watched "Intolerable Cruelty." Another quirky Coen-brothers production. Although not quite up to the standard set by thier other classics: "Fargo" "Raising Arizona" "O Brother Where Art Thou?" "The Hudsucker Proxy" and especially "The Big Lebowski," it was entertaining.

Clooney was pretty good, sutably charmimg but smarmy as a highly succesful divorce lawyer; and of course Ms. Zeta-Jones was lovely to watch as his comic foil, and romantic nemesis. However: It should be noted at this point that I would pay very good money to watch any piece of footage involving Ms. Zeta-Jones... (including but not limited to her doing the dishes or taking out the trash...) so I might not be the most reliable critic to listen to when it comes to one of her performances.

Back to work tomorrow. Ugh. Just when I had gotten used to the taste of freedom...

Although looking at the jornal entries for just 2 days it's obvious what a couch-potato I have become. (Granted, all my gifts this season were DVDs, or gift cards to video stores... plus Wal*Mart had that big bin of DVDs for less than $5.00 a piece when I was there the other day!)

Going back to work, moving around, and being on my feet for a couple of hours a day will do me some good.

Originally posted by Nitro

1/3/05... This is my most nerdly moment thus far this year.

Ahh... but the year is still young, me boy! Plenty 'o time to shine in that way only you know how!

By the way... I'll never be able to hear someone refer to the term "multitasking" (especially if they are at thier computer at the time) without thinking of your unique set of talents. Congratulations!

Archived