Home

The One Year Thread Redux

1/3/04

What I did today.

Got up ungodly early to take out trash and get ready for work. Good thing I wasn't in a rush because after over a week living without any routine it took me forever to get moving and out of here this morning.

Work was boring. A little paperwork, a few e-mails, no phone messages to return. Started testing the 10 new wireless mics that we got in September that have been failing at an astounding rate. Don't know what's up with them, but we need to figure out which ones are really bad so we can send them out. set them to running to see which ones stop transmitting first, and make a note to how long it takes. One went down after the first half hour. The rest stayed alive until I shut the whole thing down for the night.

Puttered around office for as long as I could stand until I found myself doodling on a piece of scrap paper, and decided to bail out early and call it a half-day.

The subway car I was on broke down between stations. That's always a blast. :rolleyes: Fortunately it wasn't crowded, so everybody had a seat which always means a lot less complaining when it happens.

Dozed off watching the News Hour with Jim Lehrer. I think I'm saturated on tsunami reports. I think it's just too overwhelming and my brain doesn't want to handle it, so it just shuts down. Or I'm not used to getting up early. Either one works... take your pick.

Woke up in time to catch The Simpsons rerun (the original Sideshow Bob episode, quite the classic.)

A bunch of folks over in the Monkey Island forums want the rest of the tracks from that session where I recorded Hot Dog Sally. So I converted them all to MP3 and am planning on e-mailing them instead of making and mailing a bunch of CDs this time. My ISP is gonna love me! Oh well.

I guess I'll stay up to see if it's a new Daily Show tonight. If not I'll probably head straight to bed.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

First Officer's Log, Supplemental, er, January 4

Originally posted by Keyan Farlander

Zapp Brannigan's influence?

Perhaps.

I didn't sleep last night. I had to get up at 6:30 anyhow so I could make a chiropractor appointment at 7:30. My back was really out.

Then I slept til 5 or something.

I finally maxed out my Tiger Woods 2005 golfer, and she now has 110% in everything. I'm almost finished with the Legends Tour.

I didn't get to watch the Sugar Bowl like I wanted because everyone took the TV.

Tomorrow afternoon, I head back to my apartment after being home for two weeks. Hopefully my house is still there, not robbed, and my mailbox isn't entirely full like I fear it to be. Classes don't start until the 10th, but I want to get back there soon and get to work getting my sleep cycle working and working on my book again. Or rather just getting started on it.

My resolutions for this new year decreed that, at the earliest convience, I shall dupe a female into getting me to spend my money on her. Perhaps I will go into "public" armed with my notebook and write in "public" while trying to lure females into my trap. I am uncertain what type of bait to procure.

From the secret diary of Adrian Ray:

Dear diary, today i clicked the refresh button of my browser until it broke. I can't wait any longer until someone else besides edlib "rejoins" the XWA-Seti team on the BOINC site. I looked up and found Nitro already and it says he is part of the team, but he doesn't show up in the team member list. Same goes for Rogue Nine. But Mr. Nine is still using the old software, although the new is so much better. OK, there is a bright side: I crunched myself to the top already.

On another note on January 5th Stargate is on air again with "new" episodes. Hoo-Ray!

Originally posted by Nitro

... if you want I can rip the disc you sent to me and upload it to my webspace... Me and a buddy lease a dedicated server, so we've got bandwidth coming out our asses.

That might just be a possibility... I'll let you know. I'm still a wee bit reluctant to put these up since the other guys still don't know about it.

I've already e-mailed the first 2 tracks to one person. I'm just waiting to hear back to see if I totally horked his mail service.

I tried converting the tracks at a reasonable rate (160) so that they sound good, but still aren't overly huge. I can't stand the washy phasiness you get in the high-end, especially the cymbals, when you rip MP3s at too low a rate.

Ray: I'm waiting on the move to all our work machines to OS 10 (yes, they are Macs) before I put SETI back on there. Then maybe I can can show you some real competition in the group. ;)

Hmmm... OK! Go for it then. Thanks! :)

Don't rush on it, though. Get around to it when you get the chance. Rhett has already given me his real name and address, (I'm taking offers from any and all potential blackmailers! Start your bidding now!;) ) and I already have the CDs put together and ready to go for him... and I've sent out a few MP3s to the others who have expressed interest and PM'ed me contact info.

1/4/05

Another slow day at work. More puttering and light maintenance.

Left early again... I'm turning into a lazy slug. :indif: I'll do more tomorrow. Really. I will.

More CD ripping (and a little re-mastering) to get this project out the door.

I have to re-do all the CD jewel-case labels again since I upgraded to Office 2003, and when I opened the old files the formatting was all screwy.

Dear Future Rebel Loyaltist:

You're at it again! This time your One Year Thread has paid off, and all is well in XWA.Net! Hopefully you've lead one more successful war against the other jackasses. Anyway, the last time you did this, you were looking for a girlfriend, and I'm happy to say that your ass finally has one! Good job kid, keep it up. Grades......you'll survive, yes you've seen Episode a few thousand times and no, I'm no son of a bitch. Oh and your 1.7 Ghz computer, your mom took it, crazy woman, but grannie got you one so it's all good son. Stuff is indeed cool in 2005, will be cooler in 2006 though, that's for damn sure. Anyway, hope you're kicking college's ass, your girlfriend and yourself and doing better than ever, that your own place is dope and that you're tighter than ever. I leave this message for you as a sign of how much you kick ass.

I hope you're getting good grades. You'll need em. How's your 1.7 GHz Computer? I hope it's working well. Have you found a girl yet? You'd better have or I'll make sure their's no future you....... j/k. You've probably seen Episode 2 a few thousand times already you lucky son of a *****. I leave this message for you as a sign of how lame my life is. I hope suff is cool then.

1/5/05

Actually put in a full day at work! :D

Spent the day playing with levels and eq of the PA to solve a few problems people have been complaining about.

CDs are ready to go out, and all the files have been e-mailed.

Nothing else new to report.

Here's a few words and phrases I hope to work into my posting in the coming weeks:

"Lactation"

"Domo Arigato, Mr. Roboto."

"Mung"

"Spit Valve"

"... And I would have gotten away with it too, if it weren't for you meddling kids!"

Look for them in a post near you, soon!

checked grades, got a stupid C this semester and my worst GPA in about 2 years, stupid 2.9! dropped my cum gpa to a 3.44, better sack it up or I wont be able to get a job with the CIA

work is work

car is running well finally with the new rebuilt motor

Figured I'd make my first post to this thread bragging about Boston College's win over defending national champion UConn in men's basketball last night. It was the first win by the Eagles over the Huskies at the Hartford Civic Center since 1987. They even did it with team leader Craig Smith sitting on the bench for good chunks of the game with foul trouble. BC is off to their best-ever start (12-0) and will probably be ranked in both polls next week provided they take care of business @ home against Providence Saturday night.

Originally posted by edlib

Look for them in a post near you, soon!

Yes it is stupid.. but..
"Lactation"

"Domo Arigato, Mr. Roboto."

"Mung"

"Spit Valve"

"... And I would have gotten away with it too, if it weren't for you meddling kids!"

I FOUND ONE!!

:dozey:

What? It is near me.

05/06/01

After 2 years trying I finally made it. I now can use linux. The modem in my notebook is a software modem and needs a commercial driver to use it. I'm not crazy and refused to give them 15 bucks for a linux driver. Now for some strange reason I got this bluetooth modem set for "christmas" and exact 79 bucks that i didn't payed.

Dear future Ray: GET DSL (damnit)!

1/6/05

Remind me again why I choose to live in the Northeast?!?? :rolleyes:

Spent the morning digging out of an overnight snowstorm before daylight, only to have to drag my sorry carcass all the way into work to attend what turned out to be an excrusiatingly pointless morning meeting. I was hoping the whole thing might have been canceled (or at least postponed) due to the inclimate weather,.. but no. Turns out that the college I work for will only close up because of the weather when classes are in session. Between semesters the staff are expected to fend for themselves and get in any way possible.

I did use the time after the meeting to trudge down to the post-office to mail out CDs.

After that, so disheartened by the morning's futility, I just sat out the time until my boss (also my ride home most afternoons) decided to bail and go home before traffic got really stupid.

1/7/05

Took the day off of work. I couldn't really figure out any reason to go in. Done all the maintenance I can possably do myself... and there's very little office work to my job. Besides, I have something like 30 to 40 days of paid time-off coming to me that I have built up... might as well use 'em.

We start to get busy next week, and after that it's pretty much non-stop till Spring Break. If I don't take the time now when I can get I'll be kicking myself later when I'm exhausted.

I basically lazed around the house. Slept in late. (There's a lot to be said on the subject of the simple, yet sublime pleasures of wasting a perfectly good morning sleeping-in late. Perhaps it is a subject I will explore further in a later post.)

Did a little light housework (picking up up clutter... no genuine cleaning impliments were harmed in this activity) did some reading, computer maintenance (Microsoft has an Ad-Aware-like Spyware detection/ removal utility now... seems to work OK) and watched my traditional Friday-Night weekly-wrapup political gab-fest on PBS.

I'm wondering how long I can keep finding things to post in this thread. Taken on a day-to-day basis like this my life (as is, I believe that of most people) is remarkably dull. Mostly just work and tedium. It's actually a bit disheartening to look back over a week of my life in this way and see how little I actually accomplished.

I wonder how the hard-core bloggers do it? I think seeing the minutiae of my daily existance, my dull day-to-day life spread out in this way over the long-term would send me spiraling into deep depression and despair.

On the other hand; if I had kept a journal of my life during the 3 or so months that I lived on the road... now that would surely make some interesting reading today! Alas, I was too short-sighted to actually do it at the time. :(

I also wonder what happens when I get truly busy at work again. I will surely miss whole days, if not weeks, in the continuity of this thing I have started.

Figured I'd get the Jan. 8 portion of this thread started b4 someone else does. :D

I dread bad weather on days when my brother takes me food shopping. Usually, we luck out and it's a decent day, but not today. It was raining throughout, occasionally mixing with sleet. Glad the shopping is out of the way now, though.

I'm a football nut and normally I'd be giddy with anticipation for the start of the playoffs, but not today. The Patriots will likely play Indy in the next round, and the Colts don't play until tomorrow. The Jets/Chargers game tonight is appealing, but my TV will be on NESN for BC/Providence basketball when that game starts.

1/8/05

Indeed, the weather sucked big-time today. It didn't know WHAT it wanted to really do... so it gave us all of the possibilities.

A particularly nasty mixure of sleet, snow, and freezing rain off-and-on where I was all day. Last I looked, the street I live on was a solid sheet of ice. I watched a couple of folks slide down it, after chipping away the accumulated encrusting of solid frozen precipitation.

Needless to say, I didn't leave the house today, despite needing to go a few places. Hopefully tomorrow will be better, and I will have to get all my errands done then.

So I stayed in, and (couch-potato that I am...) watched DVDs. :D Surprise, surprise.

Speaking of "Surprise"... I watched "Master and Commander." Not bad... good action and what I believe is a fairly realistic depiction of the rather harsh conditions aboard a ship like that back in the day... but seemed like they easily could have edited about 20 or 30 minutes from it and I never would have noticed.

Also: "Lost In Translation" I don't know what I was expecting... but I don't quite get why this was so universally critically acclamed. It was cute in parts, a couple of chuckles, but pretty slow overall, and not nearly as funny as everyone led me to expect. I was expecting a comedy, and I got a somewhat unconventional love-story. Nice for waht it is... but since that wasn't what I was anticipating I was a little let down. Perhaps I should watch it again sometime now that I know what I'm in for...

Still, seeing Tokyo is amazing, and the scenes where he is dealing with the Japanese clients are spot-on.

ughghghghghghghghghghgh

i came home from work the other night to see a envelop titles 'department of motor transportation' i opened it and apparantly got 3 points taken off my driving license for 'careless driving' it makes me mad because everybody else drives like 20 times worse, and where are the cops then? oh and the other day i almost hit a cop....some idiot was tailing me when it was raining like mad out, and i didn't want him to wreck into me, so i went to get into the other lane, quickly checked, nobody was there, so i turned a bit and double-checked-good thing i did, and swerved back to where i was.....almost side-swiped a suv cop...scared me a bit. :D

1/9/05

Guess what today was?!?? Go on... you'll never guess!

I'll give you a hint... It's everybody's favorite day! Ever!

That's right! Today was:

LAUNDRY DAY!!!!!

Yay!

*Does happy dance*

Ahem... that's enough of that.

Yup. That's right... Excitement incarnate. Doing the wash.

I'll spare you the details...

But between loads (you guessed it...) I watched movies!

"We Were Soldiers"

Gut wrenching. Sure takes the glamour and excitement right out of being at war. Kinda like "Black Hawk Down" but only with an even less clearly defined mission objective. Some people might see it as hopelessly P.C.,.. but I liked the fact they presented some of the enemy troops as humans, with fears and hopes of thier own, and not just endless hordes of bloodthirsty faceless cannon fodder.

"A Fistful Of Dollars"

The classic spagetti western. One of the great Clint Eastwood horse operas. Based on a Japanese tale, filmed by an Italian director, shot in Spain, with an American star. What's not to love?

Surprising how bloodless and tame the violence appears after seeing the Mel Gibson movie.

Of couse. I've already seen this one before, but the DVD was so cheap I just had to get it.

The digital transfer was kinda crappy though. :( Especially the audio.

"Heavenly Creatures"

Not a DVD, but on one the few movie channels I get. Peter Jackson's first (only?) movie that could possibly be called a "success" before Lord Of The Rings. I had never seen the whole thing before. Of course, anytime you put the word "lesbian" with the word "schoolgirls" you already have my interest. Add the word "murder" in with that lot, and rabid timberwolves couldn't keep me away!

A disturbing little tale... presented lushly and gorgeously by Mr. Jackson.

1/10/05

Spent the morning changing house lights at work. This is a 4-person job, minimum. That is because about half of the lights are only accessible using scaffolding. The process goes like this: Build scaffolding, change light, disassemble scaffolding, move, re-build scaffolding, change next light,.. repeat until finished.

We only do it about once a year. Fortunately it's fairly lightweight aluminium scaffolding that clips together quickly. Still, it's always a miserable experience. Is we ever redesign the place we got to make it easier to do this.

Later in afternoon the college's new president gave a speech to the faculty. He is one of those guys who, when you look at his resume, make you wonder "What have I really done with my life? Where exactly did I go wrong?" The kind of guy who accomplished more by the time he was my age than I have ever imagined doing in my life. Makes me feel that I really should try to more. Of course, while thinking that, I came home and dozed off while watching a Simpsons rerun... Y'Know,.. that just might have something to do with it. :indif:

I woke up this morning to find my cell phone....missing....it was in my sister's car. i went to go see about getting health insurance, and the boss at the temp agency said she called and asked if i got the messege, and i said no...and she said there was no work today.....so that leaves me out of $64 minus tax. also found that i enrolled like a month too late to get insurance. so yay.

I actually felt quite well this afternoon, must have been because the sky cleared and it wasn't too cold. But it seemed to relieve some stress for some reason. It also could have been because i drank a can of mountain dew right after i took a shower.

Watched Matrix Revolutions widescreen w/my dad after lunch, i dunno care what the critics say, but i really like that movie.

I played a little halo 2 on xbox live and sucked horribly. I got put on one of the most annoying maps, my whole damn team left, and there was 7 minutes remaining, so instead of letting the other team have a quick-victory, i decided to stick myself with plasma grenades and got like 32 suicides before the time ran out. :D

I think the job i'm temping for is gonna end before schedule, so it looks like I'll need to find something else. sucks that my only choices are factory work or restraunt work.

Archived