Home

The One Year Thread Redux

Yesterday or today or whatever:

Monday the 10th was the first day of Spring Semester 2005, and my standing number changed from 06 to 07 which means after many, many years and a total of nine semesters of college, I'm at long last a senior in college. Only two more semesters to go after this one (six years to graduate egad).

Italian 1 was ok for hte first day. My prof is much better than my italian 1 prof last semester. Only once have I done worse in a class when taking it for the second time.

Art History 202 is probably going to be boring. Its all architecture and whatnot, which is neat, but I get a boring vibe off it.

HIST 001 (oh yeah) was cancelled. I've had specialty classes in both Greek and Roman history, so going back over the same stuff but condensed into one class plus other stuff makes this one an easy class. They really should have made it so people htat already took 200 level history classes can't go back and take 000 level classes.

HIST 143 is going to rock the casbah as it were. While the catalog calls it "Fascism and Nazism," this class is actually called NAZISM AND THE THIRD REICH. My prof for this seems really cool and was funny, which I always like. Like the third thing he said when he started talking was "Who doesn't like Nazis? They're just so sexy with the black uniforms and the silver trim and the death's head on their hats. Well, I mean the Jews and Gypsies and all those people didn't like them, but the Nazis are just so movie evil. You couldn't make this stuff up!" If I had a different prof, I'd be learning about Mussolini and Franco and all the other flavors, but I'll trade that for getting to watch Triumph of the Will on a giant screen as Hitler intended.

Tomorrow I have CAMS 044, which is Greek mythology. I know very little other than some guys hung out on Olympus and one of them was named Zeus.

My classes have a total of 19 books i have to buy. That's a lot of books, considering I usually only have about six a semester.

I'm all sore all over from being all hunched over walking around in the cold and wind all day. I made three round trips to campus today which comes out to about ten miles. Plus being largely immobile since December 17th meant my legs are being punished now.

I went to Office Depot to get a new desk chair, but I couldn't find anyone to provide me with service and allow me to buy the chair.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow! You are taking even longer to graduate than I did! That's an accomphishment! I took 11 semesters too (a little over 5 years) to finally get enough credits to move on. I changed majors 3 times before I settled in one long enough to take all the required classes... although when I left I was only about 4 credits shy of graduating as a dual-major. They have since changed the requirements of the major I was short on, so I would have to take a lot more classes in it now if I ever wanted to go back and finish that one up too.

It's funny... one of the benefits of working at this college is free classes if I want them every semester... I just haven't been able to bring myself to do it yet, although every year I kick myself for not taking advantage of it.

Next semester...

I never did either... but when a staff position opened up in the area that I had worked in as a student on work-study they thought of me. I happened to be still living in the area, and at the time was between freelance gigs.

It works out great, since they know that as long as they keep me employed I can make payments on my student loans. :D

I'm really just laundering thier money for them.

w007! just got a call from my temp agency boss.....no work at jay group til further notice......i'll miss that job. :( i'll miss the sight of millions of bottles of listerine....and all my puerto rican friends. waaaaaah :( of course there was a position at the same place but in a further way place for 3rd shift.....and hells no! that's too far away and 3rd shift is yucky.

ok..time for me to literally go out and look for something more real i guess. meh...$6 an hour here i come. :rolleyes:

Six majors, three colleges. Its amazing I'm going to pull it off in six years at all.

We got our first real snow of hte season today. Its been a very mild winter and will continue to be one. At about 9:30 this morning, flurries were in the air. I went into class then and when I came out at about 10:30, there were almost two inches on the ground. By 11, it had stopped and we had three inches of snow. By now the temperature is climbing and its switched to rain. Its going to be 61 tomorrow. The weather machine must be broken.

But if you get a job as a sorter or loader I hear it can be a total pressure cooker... with a high burnout rate after a couple of months.

1/11/05

Not much to write tonight. Standard blah, boring day at work. Crappy commute home. More slushy precip predicted for overnight, which means an early morning to dig out before commuting back in.

Better try to go to bed early.

Maybe I'll try to write more in the a.m.

heh all i need is a few months, then i can reenlist and go to war. :)

the tep place called me back and said that i could go to work tomorrow..i dunno what the hell is up w/that, so i guess i'm still employed. which is good cause i am in need of money.... =\

I finally got past Cairo Station level on Legendary in Halo 2. plasma pistol + battle rifle helped alot.

Today update #2 because I'm bored and technically its the 12th now.

I bore of xbox live. I suck at the Halo 2, NCAA Football and Madden players are chumps that give up or pick only to use the best of the best teams or use the (legitimate) cheats available, and no one ever is around for me to play Tiger Woods against.

Here are some crummy pictures of my golfer:

darcy1.jpg

darcy2.jpg

darcy3.jpg

darcy4.jpg

In Halo 2, regardless of what I do, I cannot inflict kills and die with incredible ease. After the 900,000th time I shot someone in the face with a shotgun and they didn't die, I refuse to play anymore. I also hate being killed by people that, as far as I can tell, aren't anywhere near me. I just fall down and then all the sudden someone runs past my corpse. Its like they teleported in just for the occasion, didn't appear on my radar, and then killed me like my Master Chief was cleverly constructed from papier mache or however those french faggots spell it. I also hate any sort of CTF, particularly since the time three of my friends and I watched someone score without doing the important part of bringing the flag back to their base. We had encircled their flag dealie and no one ever entered the room to score. I was baffled.

It was whatever they call Blood Gulch these days. I never play on Waterworks for some reason. I always wind up on Blood Gulch, Midship, Colossus, or Ascension.

http://www.bungie.net/Stats/GameStats.aspx?panel=stats&gameid=42111585

Observe the game viewer. This was the round that made me give up. I couldn't buy a kill and I got frustrated to the point of being done forever.

1/12/05

I have a really old Boss chorus pedal. I rarely use it anymore, but it sounds nice.

I've always wanted one of those T.C. Electronic chorus/ flange pedals... man those things sound sweet! Expensive though.

I really don't play enough (except around the house) to justify spending money on gear when I already have stuff that works.

Just today a guy I work with (another person on our staff) who is a drummer brought up the idea of playing a show together. I played him the "Hot Dog Sally" mp3 to prove to him I can actually play. He laughed. I don't know if I impressed him, or just walked my way right out of a gig. Hmmm...

I found out the reason why the place I temp at closed down for 2 days....the people in charge decided to change the product. now i'm making boxes for and packing neospore....hm maybe i'll call the UPS thing off and see how much longer before the job completely ends?

11/13/2005

Went to see a mechanic about my car. He was surprised a '93 Ford Tempo was running as well as it is. The problem lies in my ETS whatever, all i know is that it controls the idle speed and it sometimes doesn't work right, forcing the car to stall. suck. but it wasn't doing it at the time, and since we think we have isolated the problem, he said it would be a quick fix.

Slacking on my Model United Nations work, need to fix that.

World of Warcraft is going well. Need to change the info in my sig,but i really stopped caring.

Soon i will have my associates in Political Science. Yay! Let the rush for power and wealth begin. >.>

Kinda got some credit card debt. about 500 USD, not much, but enoough to set me back a few months. damned money. Made a note to restrict pruchases for a while. need to save for trip to NYC for the M.U.N.

1/13/05

Almost forgot to post today!

The foggiest day around here that I can remember in a long time. Thick as pea soup. It was really cool! Made for some tough driving in spots though...

I've been thinking seriously about upgrading all my computer equipment. My newest PC is quickly approaching the 5-year mark and something will have to be done soon.

Those new under $500 mini-Macs have got me thinking that I could use one of those. I could run music software off of it, as well as make it a server for my whole network, dumping all of my mp3s and other media files to it (especially if I upgrade the hard drive when I order it, or get an external Firewire one...)

There are also those under $500 Linux laptops that have grabbed my attention. I really could use a laptop for certain things... but I don't want to pay the full cost for one. That's a possibility too.

Still, it's my main Windows desktop that I really need to do something about. I'd like to wait until the new BTX form-factor cases and motherboards really start to take off, since I think that's how everything is eventually going to go... but it seems they're a bit slow getting out of the gate, and I'm not sure I can really wait any longer.

I'm pretty sure that by summer I will have to do something about it one way or another...

didnt go to class yesterday as I have summer tires on the car and 2 of them are almost bald

and it snowed 2 inches, and the last 3 days rain froze everything to all hell

dont worry nute, undergrad for me is just finishing in may, 6 years, 3 schools, 3 majors, one degree

01/14/05

I woke up just in time to watch the UPS guy pull out of the driveway with what I'm assuming was my chorus pedal, so now I've gotta wait 'till Monday to drive out to the @#$&ing airport to pick it up...

The good news is that I was up when my pedal boards came in, so while I don't have my chorus pedal for tomorrow night, I don't have to worry about replacing 10 dead 9-volt batteries on a regular basis anymore... Christ on a bicycle those things are expensive.

1/14/05

Sad day...

I took the day off from work and was puttering around the house when I got a call from my mom this morning telling me that my uncle is in the hospital. I didn't think much about it since he's been in and out of the hospital on a nearly constant basis for the last couple of years (more on that later.)

I knew something was up when she called back sortly after and asked if I had showered yet. "Get ready, I'm leaving work and am coming to pick you up. Print out directions to the Brigham and Women's Hospital from there too." That's when I knew it was bad...

See, my uncle had a full heart transplant 13 years ago. Then he got (and beat) cancer. Then he suffered through gout. Then, last year, he had to go on dialysis.

Well, today he got the message that this is the end of the road... that the doctors really can't do anything else for him at this point except try to make him comfortable for the next couple of days. His heart is finally going into total rejection, and all the arteries to it are almost completely blocked. Also, his blood pressure is currently so low that it is impossible for them to try to do the dialysis. So if his heart doesn't fail in the next couple of days, then his kidney failure is sure to kill him.

So we all rushed in to say our goodbyes. Unfortunately it's almost impossible to find the words in that situation.

He's actually pretty cheerful, and generally in better spirits than most of the people around him. I suspect he has been mentally preparing for this moment for a long time.

If he makes it through the night, we'll be going back in early tomorrow.

He's one of my favorite relatives, and one of my favorite people in the whole world. One of the truly nicest people I have ever met. I don't think I have ever heard him speak an angry or unkind word about anybody, ever. I know I've never heard him raise his voice in anger.

It's really too bad that the last years of his life had to be filled with such suffering.

There's more I want to say... but it will have to wait for now.

Archived