Home

Mobile SCUMM in buisiness

masterdebator

Alright, now many of you may know about my failed attempt at bringing the world of Lucasarts adventure gaming to the world of cell phones. You laughed at my ideas using a JAVA based scripting, and you called me an idiot... the screen was too small, the games crashed, and the cell phone bill I recieved that month had over $50 worth of download charges, which is a big deal when you have no job... But I am here to say, that with a little bank loans and credit card debt, the world of mobile gaming is underway once more, as I try and develope the SCUMMVM® MD. (mobile device). A handheld computer system running on a minimum system requirments basis and an auto boot into the SCUMMVM system, no windows or palm screen, just SCUMMVM with a memory card reader that can read SD xD and compact flash cards up to 2 gigabytes of space.... Now, I need lots and lots of help.... for more info, please email me at M.Debator@gmail.com....

Thank you.

:(

Why is this so funny, I am dead serious. I really want to get this out there so that people can play these retro games from aywhere. I know it is a big job, but someone has to put forth the time and effort to do it. That person is me. I will spend the next portion of my life in research, developement, marketing, and legalities of this device that I think every big fan of the lucasarts adventure games will love to play. This is no joke, it is only been my dream to make this happen, so that people of all walks of life, who cannot afford to buy pocket pc's or color Palm's can use this to be able to take it on the road. Please, if you want to do something, don't discourage me, help me.

MD

But I have evidence that this can be done, as I plan to have an actual computer with a hard drive of 10gb and an LCD 256 color display set at 640x480 native and 320x240 fixed, so it can play the retro games and COMI. It will be a fix of the ScummVM program, only it will be an OS version, that is automatically booted when you turn on the mobile device. This is not a cell phone, it is basically a stripped down mobile C64. 128mb ram, and weighs in at .98 lb. so it is the size of the ipod only horizontal, and has a multi card slot, and is controlled by a trackball on the right side, and button below the trackball. A roland speaker emulation, and directx compatible graphics interface. It will be like a MINIMUM SYSTEM REQUIRMENTS type thing in a handheld. You know just enough to run smoothly. I haven't worked out the details, but a prototype should be ready by 2-06. A long time to wait, but only five people have agreed to help...

I think it's a cool concept and a great idea, but I can't contribute with much.

I know 2 things about coding and programming; Jack and s***. And Jack just left town.

And I'm not good at electronics and physics.

But it'll be interesting to see what comes out of this.

If the product gets finished and it works well, I'll even buy one.

As long as the price is affordable.

I feel the screen should have to be bigger than on an iPod. I like to be able to see what I'm playing.

But it's not going to be like a cell phone?

It's strictly for LucasGaming™* purposes, right?

*Not really a ™

Well, you see making a cell phone would be too difficult for me to achieve, as it is a piece of highly complicated machinery, plus the whole SIM card thing is just too much to deal with. The final outcome of the project would not only play LucasArts games, but also fatty bears fun pack's, flight of the amazon gueen, and all of those other ScummVM compatible games.

and I will impliment the auto-update feature, so that when ScummVM is updated, we'll make our patches and send you the update email, so you can use the provided SD card in the multi cars slot and the ScummVM Mobile program will automatically launch it.

Well, the overall pricing will come to about $75 to start with, but then when I have made enough profit to cover the cost of research and developement, it will be at cost. You know, no profit to me, just whatever it took for me to make it. I am not doing this for money, but for the joy of Adventure gamers everywhere.

I know this doesn't sound very promising, but I am putting everything I have into this project, I may just be throwing myself into a pile of debt, but can't someone just please come with me. The more people that help out, the more promising this is. You see I need your help as fans of these games. So come on, even if you have no experience whatsoever, throw your gloves in the ring.

Not for you, not for me, not even for little Billy down the street, whom spends all hours playing gameboy, but do it for Dave who fought hard and died thousands of times trying to save his girlfriend, and for Sandy, who was locked inside the mansion without hope. Do it for Guybrush, who bravely went where no man has ever gone before to become a pirate. For Leslie and Melissa, who all we can tell that for the last ten years have been in Mars refilling their helmets, waiting for the day that the van will actually go to Earth this time and not just be stuck in space, only to find that it always ends up back at mars. Do it for Elaine and Herman, for Indy, for Bobbin Threadbare, for Sam and Max (and the guy who dies in the beginning being poked off the stairs). Do it for THESE people, the people you grew up with, that made you laugh and cry and hit your computer thousands of times in frustration. These people who taught you exactly what it means to be a team, to be a winner, to give voodoo cursed diamond rings to you girlfriend then get it all better again, how to save the world.

So come on does no one care about Le Chimp anymore?

Now who's with me?

Well, MD, still it sounds more like a dream than an actual project that appears to have a "reachable" aim...

But maybe I just can't comprehend this whole thing well enough, because I could never pull it off... lack of abilities in that field AND lack of dedication as well.

Go for it, and give all of us the finger.... and of course one of those devices,

Perhaps MD could reveal how he is planning to use the innards of a "C64 mobile"(?) to interface with a 10Gb harddrive and 128Mb of RAM and then bundle and sell it all for $75?!?

Last time I checked, a 20Gb iPod with a B&W LCD screen, not much memory and only the ability to play MP3's cost waaaay more than that.

Perhaps you could post pictures of this "prototype" MD? :D

Anyways, if you had any common sense you would simply try to adapt ScummVM for the next generation of mobile phones.

Currently you can get emulators for MAME, Commodore 64, GameBoy, Spectrum, NES and MSX. I don't see why ScummVM shouldn't find it's way onto them one day too (with the older games coming first, obviously).

You should just rest easy and wait for the technology to catch up.

MAME for Mobile Phones: http://www.harmonicode.com/EEMame/

Tons of other emulators for mobiles:

http://www.harmonicode.com/EEMame/

At this point, I'll mention that ScummVM runs on a TON of mobile and home devices.

PocketPCs/HandheldPCs... Tablets (I assume, never seen one to test it), various Symbian devices (via an UNOFFICIAL port, doesn't function all that well).. and Palms (some, with various limitations).

Eg, don't be a moron. If you want a portable SCUMM platform go buy a el-cheapo 2nd hand or reconditioned ipaq.

If you want a home PC device, get an modded Xbox and put Linux on it (or run the unofficial and unsupported native xbox port). Or a Dreamcast, although Xbox supports more games with better performance.

As everybody else has said, this thread is absolutely silly :)

I hope it was all a really really bad joke.

You see, that's just it, I know this could work out. I have the abesolute dedication to this project, and I can get it done, with your help. I don't want tot do the cell phone idea, mainly because it would really suck on a tiny screen and a button cursor. You see, the reason Apple Ipod's are so expensive are because the company that sells them makes them for a large profit. You see, I am not making these for a profit. On average, a Hoover vacuum cleaner costs about $175, it costs about fifteen dollars for them to make the vacuum. Now, the screen is color lcd, it is about the size of 5x7 notecard (not exactly, but about that size only with the standard 3:4 ratio of 320x240/640x480. The cursor, instead of being all buttons will be an actual trackball that you use with your right thumb, and the buttons under this mouse ball. I haven't yet made the prototype, as I have no marketing team, just a bunch of IT guys and a few friends who like computers. In fact only one other than me even knows about the LucasArts game series, and this is through me... I CANNOT DO THIS WITHOUT YOUR HELP. WITH YOUR HELP WE CAN DO THIS. We have most the people we need right here. And one of my A+ certified proffesionals actually works in Atlanta in a support bureau for HP's pocket PC division. I am dead serious. No lying, joking, no dreaming, this is REAL. I think that this product would be a great leap forward to this community, and even a huge step forward for LucasArts, ScummVM, and the fans. This product would be really cool, and highly marketable. Come on, won't somebody help me? Maybe if I drew up the plans and the budget, and the 3d modelling for the prototype, then maybe you'd help. Although I kinda need help there too, but whatever.

Archived