Home

Units

Guest DarthMaulUK

Guest DarthMaulUK

From the early screenshots and from the early preview, the following units will be in the game

Empire

Ground

AT-AT Walkers

AT-ST walkers

Tie Crawlers

Various Troopers

Drop Ships

Space

Star Destroyers

Acclamator Assault Ships

TIE Fighters

Rebellion

Ground

Various Tanks

Various defences - Turrets

Various Troopers

Space

Mon Calamari Cruisers

Nebula B Frigates

X,A,Y-Wings

Corvettes

These are taken from the screenshots. Over the coming months, they will no doubt be adding to this list

DMUK

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well while Battle for Middle Earth has many flaws I like the way that the Heroes (key characters from the movies) were done. If the key chracters of Star Wars are done in a similar way I'd be pleased. (As long as they are not like they are in Battlefront e.g. unable to be killed without landing on them)

I would like to see the units sticking to the movies with little branching off. I know that in order to create a good playable balance between the two civ's that's impossible, so some EU will have to get involved. I would just like to see a great RTS game that is movie driven as much as possible, I'm just that way. EU is good too to put it, it is part of the Star Wars universe anyway, just don't make up any units just for the sake of it if it can be helped, which it can.

Guest DarthMaulUK
Originally posted by Nokill

i hope these units will move like real persons and the ships will also blow up like in real movie live

how detaild are the ships anyway and the litle ground troops?

in a scale from 1 to 10

From the screens I have seen, there's Air(Snow)Speeders flying around on fire after being hit by an AT AT Walker.

The trooper scale seems very small but its difficult to tell at this very early stage.

DMUK

what's the scale on the fighters in space?

are they little dots like in Rebellion...I mean I assume they have much more detail...but I guess I'd also assume them to be selected in squadrons...and gnat sized in comparison to the capitol ships. At least I hope they're gnat sized in comparison...or at least fly sized...*blinks* wow...that was an odd analogy...but hopefully you get my drift. heh.

If they don't use EU material, it's going to be a boring game. The Empire would only have the 2 star destroyer types you see in the films, plus the 3 TIE's (maybe the Lambda class Shuttle).

The Rebels on the other hand would have a larger array of ships, though largely much smaller capital ships, like the Corellian Corvette and the Nebulon-B Frigate. The Calamari Cruisers would start to compete with the smallest star destroyer type, but if the game starts 2 years before Ep. IV then it's gonna take a while before the rebels can use this ship.

The ground would be a slaughter. :p

The Empire would wipe the floor with the rebels. :D

Ok, having looked at the screenshots I can identify a number of ships.

REBELS

Corellian Gunship (it looks similiar to a corvette)

Bulwark Cruiser

2 Different Mon Calamari Cruisers

IMPERIALS

Interdictor Cruisers

Victory Class Star Destroyers

UNSURE

A ship that looks like a Dreadnaught.

There are a few other ship designs which I don't recognise, which maybe designed specifically for the game or maybe they're part of Episode 3.

Anyway, if you don't recognise the ships I have just listed, you can find them in Rebellion and X-Wing Alliance.

• 2 weeks later...

As Lord of Star Wars Purists, I feel I need to rant here about EU.

Jan Gaarni said that without EU the game would be boring. I disagree fundamentally with that, but I understand the point of view, and it is a valid concern. Personally I don't mind a limited number of units to choose from (since that's how I play RTS games) but I can understand why people want many units to choose from and in all honestly it is a better selling point.

Yet the inclusion of EU is a delicate matter. So much EU doesn't fit in all that well with the movies, and in my opinion changes the distinct Star Wars "flavour". The TIE Crawler is the perfect example, because it is one of my personal favourite stupid EU creations. The TIE design is for aircraft; it makes sense for them but not for a ground vehicle. But more importantly the TIE Crawler does not fit into the Empire's forces because their vehicles are WALKERS: they always have been in the movies and always were even when the Empire was the Republic. Suggesting the Empire would even entertain the idea of building a small, terrain-limited tracked vehicle alongside their much better armed all terrain walkers is rediculous.

So my point is that while "EU" units should be included to make up numbers, they should still necessarily fit in with the aesthetic and ideals of the factions in question, which the TIE Crawler does not.

The inclusion of the TIE Crawler in the promotional material this early in the process does not give me high hopes for the Star Wars feel of this RTS.

Archived