Units

Guest DarthMaulUK

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by OverlordAngelus

I have spotted a new TIE design.

Screenshot

There are three of them towards the bottom left of the screenshot.

They look fairly bulky. Maybe they are a bomber that proceeded the TIE Bomber?

Oh wait, I think that's the rumored TIE Heavy Freighter, often used as a dropship for the ever popular TIE Crawler main battle tank. I've also heard rumors of a TIE Mega-Super Star Destroyer, a TIE Trooper, and a Dark Lord of the TIE.

The preceeding message was satire, provided merely for your reading enjoyment. And now back to our regularly scheduled programming...

That's a cool pic - makes me wish we could pilot fighters in first-person, and land them in the docking bays on that station, and then exit our fighters, and run around exploring the place, and if needed, engage in first-person ground combat. That would be ultimately cool.

Originally posted by StarWarsPhreak

Or perhaps the fleets of Star Destoryers wer eblocking the escape route and the rebel ships were too close to Endor's moon's gravity well.

That certainly was the case, though I have to ask why Interdictors weren't included as well just for reassurance.

Admiral Piett: "Hold here."

Naval Officer: "We're not going to attack?"

Admiral Piett: "I have my orders from the Emperor himself. He has something special planned. We only need to stop them from escaping."

Naval Officer: "Perhaps we should have brought along some Interdictors to aide us in that task?"

Admiral Piett: "Where's the challenge in that? I'd rather just rely on the gravity from Endor. Lord Vader let me off for the whole Millennium-Falcon-hyperdrive-deactivation-fiasco, I'm sure he'll be fine with this display of incompetence too."

On Topic: How would Interdictors work in game anyway? Will jumping to hyperspace even be possible?

Yes Vostok they would stop all escapes to Hyperspace in the Null area they create, they would also drag out ships that pass through the gravity sphere meaning that you can set up an ambush with a fleet in hyperspace if you know it's coming.

Vostok there may have been interdictors there though they do need a minute to charge up their generators after coming in from hyperspace so why show scenes of a charging up ship?

The real life explaination is, that the consept of an interdictor wasn't really thought up back in those days (when RotJ was made) as far as I know.

George Lucas can't think up everything, and indeed he doesn't (and I don't just mean cause he has a whole crew of people doing the thinking for him on many things :) ). That's why we have the EU.

Interdiction fields work by "faking" a planets gravity. It doesn't have to be as large as a planets, as long as it's strong enough for the hyperdrives safety switch to detect it and shuts itself off to prevent collision. This switch can be circumvented manually, but for obvious reasons this is not advisable. ;)

This is also the reason why you have to move away from a planet before you can activate the hyperdrive.

In order to escape an Interdictors gravity field you would have to outrun it, or destroy it.

Ingame, an interdiction field will probably work in the entire battle area.

Hopefully they will add a way to shut it on and off, something that was missed in Rebellion.

So you will only be left with option number 2: Destroy it.

Far too many times I had to deal with losing too many valuable ships (not to mention expensive and time consuming to replace ;):p ) because I had an interdictor in the fleet. This prevented the rebels to escape (cause they would have had they been able to) so I could call in additional forces to strenghten the fleet protecting that sector, and deal with the problem at alittle later date.

Maybe ships will be able to hyperjump in the game. In Homeworld, you could jump to different parts of the map, and I think Catacylsm and Homeworld 2 had gravity well generators that stopped incoming and outgoing jumps. Gave me warning of an attack :D

<3 Vaygr Battlecruisers

I'm pretty sure I read somewhere hyperspace exists. And since there is an interdictor in the game, it probably will be as you said, where there is an interdictor, they will stop ships from escaping and hopefully if you try to make a jump from one system on the other side of the galaxy and you go through another system, they can ambush you and blow the snot out of you! A switch is probably important for withdrawals, I'm hoping it has some sort of negative effect on the interdictor, like it drains weapon systems or is a relatively weak craft.

• 4 weeks later...
Well while Battle for Middle Earth has many flaws I like the way that the Heroes (key characters from the movies) were done. If the key chracters of Star Wars are done in a similar way I'd be pleased. (As long as they are not like they are in Battlefront e.g. unable to be killed without landing on them)

And I hated it. Stop throwing things in games just because they were in movies. Gollum? An idiot walking around on four legs doing nothing. But he was in the movies, so he "had to" be in the game.

And when a hero dies, he's resurrected. "Finally, we've rid the galaxy of Darth Vader! ....No, wait, here he comes again...":p

Nope, didn't like it. And don't get me started on the Jedi in Battlefront!

Special units like generals, sargeants, etc.? Yup. But to make Luke a trainable hero? Nope. He wasn't in every battle and it makes no sense to have heroes to train like in Middle Earth.

I like the idea of interdictors, though. In X-Wing Alliance you had to destroy them to retreat, which means they were often mission objectives. I love that they're in the game.

And yes, you can probably tun them off. I don't think this game will be as bad as I've heard Rebellion was.

In order to make the jump to lightspeed, they would have to get past the star destroyers. If there were Interdictors (assuming there wasn't), they would have to get past the star destroyers. So what's the difference?

Nothing suggest that they could not retreat. Ackbar gives the order to retreat when the Death Star II fires for the first time, doesn't he? And then he's outraged when Lando orders the fleet to attack the Star Destroyers. This implies that

1. The fleet could retreat.

2. The fleet didn't have to go trough the Star Destroyers to retreat. I mean, look at the battle. The fleet has the DS II in front of them and the fleet behind them. Still plenty of other escape routes (up, down, left, and right).

They didn't retreat because, as Lando said, "we won't get another chance at [destroying the Death Star". They fled, they lost the whole Civil War.

Originally posted by Dagobahn Eagle

Nothing suggest that they could not retreat. Ackbar gives the order to retreat when the Death Star II fires for the first time, doesn't he? And then he's outraged when Lando orders the fleet to attack the Star Destroyers. This implies that

1. The fleet could retreat.

2. The fleet didn't have to go trough the Star Destroyers to retreat. I mean, look at the battle. The fleet has the DS II in front of them and the fleet behind them. Still plenty of other escape routes (up, down, left, and right).

They didn't retreat because, as Lando said, "we won't get another chance at [destroying the Death Star". They fled, they lost the whole Civil War.

My point was that there was nothing for the fleet to accomplish by having Interdictors with the Star Destroyers, and that is still true. If the fleet could get out of the Death Star/Endor gravity well, they could have gotten out of the Interdictor gravity well with the same amount of resistance. Having Interdictors in the battle would have been redundant, and they could be better used elsewhere.

Archived