Home

Now, here's a wtf for the kids

Mike Windu

This entire website is about helping parents teach their kids values. Wouldn't ya know it, there's a video game review section!

We'll use their review of X-Men Legends as an example. For more silliness go to the Fire Emblem review.

clicky

Cultural/Moral/Ethical: 17 out of 20

Poor value decisions are promoted through the game, but not required to progress. (-3 pts)

During Alison’s phase of the game, you walk up to Beast, a blue furred mutant with genius level intellect and super human agility, and ask why mutants are how they are. Beast gives a grade school lesson on evolution. Disappointing? Yes, indeed. Then you’re probably wondering why not more points taken off? Because in the same phase, you encounter a demon looking mutant named, Nightcrawler, also blue in appearance, with a pointed tail and fangs. His ability is teleportation and is an Olympic caliber athlete. Curious-er and cursious-er you say? Here’s the real irony. Nightcrawler was written into the comics as a devout believer in Jesus Christ. I’m not talking about just mentioning a “higher power,” I mean a full on heart for God. I remember one episode of the X-men animated series where he actually witnesses to Wolverine and pleads with him to give his heart and life to God. In the game it is more of the same. Alison meets Nightcrawler and wonders why he mentions God all the time. In a short blurb, he thanks God for who he is and how He made him, even as a mutant. Encouraging in a video game? Of course.

Taken from Fire Emblem: Nudity/Sexual Content: 17 out of 20

Characters clothing is sexy or accentuates their sexuality(Ex. tight clothing or low cleavage)(-3points).

A couple of the female characters wear tight fitting clothing, and extremely short skirts.

NO WAY! Not... SHORT SKIRTS!

Occult/Supernatural: 7 out of 20

Fairy tale type magic is used in game by player.(-3 points)

Occult magic is used by the player.(-10 points)

The main enemy of the game has people sacrificed so he can steal their quintessence (souls). These sacrifices give him more power. Two of the characters you control shape shift from dragons to humans, and back again. One of your characters who was killed is resurrected by a mysterious magical character. Near the end of the game, the main good character goes to an altar to summon his dead ancestor. This dead ancestor then gives him a weapon that has been charged by his soul, and will bond with him. It is a minor part of the game.

What I found even MORE interesting is that they recommended Halo 2 tied Fire Emblem.

Here's a killer from Paper Mario 2:

Occult/Supernatural: 8 out of 20

Game takes place in an environment with minor occult references (-6 pts)

Borderline magic (hard to tell if occult) is used by enemies, but not by players (-6 pts)

This is the part of the game that bothered me. There are different magicians or mystics (I don’t recall them ever being given a title) in the game that you can visit to help you. There is one who will level up your characters, one who will look into some cards to help you if you need a hint and one who will put a good curse on you to randomly help you in battles. But the part that bothered me the most was that you had to fight a demon at the end of the game that possesses Princess Peach’s body turning her into a powerful witch queen.

:p

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I read a movie review (for The Polar Express) like that once. It was kinda trippy.

Personally, I think people are starting to take it all a bit too far; it just seems silly to try to dissect pop-culture in that way to me,.. but if that's what really floats thier boat, more power to 'em.

I took a look at their Halo 2 review. They actually cut it more slack than I thought they would (I was suprised they found nothing wrong under "Cultural/Moral/Ethical" after giving such low ratings for violence and language), but I couldn't help but laugh at the disclaimer they put in...

Editor note: Even though this game receives a passing grade, parents should proceed with extreme caution. There is evidence that the "thrill of the kill" can be very addicting. We have concern that the player must kill others non-stop to be successful in this game.

I assume they mean "killing" computer opponents or virtual entities of other gamers when they say this. I think anyone who's ever played a shooter game knows that killing "non-stop" is to be expected. :p

I really can't see how this website could be particularly useful to that many parents. A good rule of thumb is to check the ratings that are put on every copy. There's a reason for putting "T" and "M" ratings on certain games; content in those types of games are (usually) too intense/violent/potentially disturbing for very young children. Ultimately, it's really up to the parents to take the responsibility of teaching the child the facts of life and living at a pace that doesn't shelter the child, yet also doesn't overwhelm and frighten him or her either. I think the greatest piece of advice the website had to offer wasn't the reviews, but what was said at the bottom of them;

The problem may not be the game – The real problem is

How are you going to communicate your values to your child?

Sorry, but that's not how you review games. Look here:

Enter the Matrix receives a 65 (D) [see Rating Definitions] for its stylized violence, profanity, the lesbian kissing scene, and vampires.

Oh noes, not gay people! :eek:

I give Jedi Outcast/Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy a 79 (C+) primarily for violence and supernatural elements.

:roleyess: The Force! It conflicts with my Christian beliefs! Eeeevil!

From Grand Theft Auto:

LANGUAGE

There are hundreds of profanities in this game, some strong and some milder. The Lord's name is also frequently taken in vain. In both these situations, people use this language in their everyday speech. There are also a few profanities uttered on the radio stations you can listen to.

While I agree that the constant F-words are annoying, I'm sorry, but using "The Lord's name" in vain does not deserve to have points taken off. I don't care how much of a hardcore Christian you are.

From Call of Duty:

As a Christian, I didn't enjoy fighting as a Nazi online, but I suppose it was necessary for balanced teams at times.

Wow, you're not stereotypical at all. You think every Nazi soldier is some evil person, and not just some young guy who wanted to join the military? Believe it or not, the Nazis were people just like you and me.

I could go on and on.

Originally posted by TK-8252

Wow, you're not stereotypical at all. You think every Nazi soldier is some evil person, and not just some young guy who wanted to join the military? Believe it or not, the Nazis were people just like you and me.

That is the smartest thing I heard all day.

EDIT: No, I'm not being sarcastic, I seriously mean this. People think Nazi soldiers were all evil and think that Germany is still evil because of what happened like, 60 years ago. I'm kinda sick of it. ;)

Originally posted by Mike Windu

But the part that bothered me the most was that you had to fight a demon at the end of the game that possesses Princess Peach’s body turning her into a powerful witch queen.

They just ruined the end of the game for me. :(:fist:

Anyway that is stupid. Who cares about a demon who is fully flat. And those so called mystics are fortune tellers. :p

And in Halo 2 you dont have to kill each other senseless to win. Thats only in MP. :p

That's really sad.

Sure i'm a christian, and I have a good mom and dad, but back in the day when I and my bro and sis were younger they tried to pull some of that on us with rpg games (ooo, brainwash) and the force (ooo, magix) (although they did take us to see star wars at a young age because they knew we'd like it, which they're awesome for that.) but we protested, and when they brought us to grandmas house to spend the night, we went out and got Mario RPG, turned out to be the best game evar.

But, yes, I have fallen victem to Dungeons & Dragons, i'm scarred by our talks about the evil magic. :(

Good thing I have good parents otherwise, only thing I have against them is that they took our religion a little far back in the day, but they know better now. :p

People killing people in cold blooded murder (Ex. Grand Theft Auto 3) (-10 pts)

Hehe, GTA is awsome

Swear Words found in a PG-13-rated movie are used in the game (-8 pts)

Swear Words found in a R-rated movie are used in the game (-10 pts

PG-13 – A**, B***h, B*****d, S**t used through out or F-Word used once or twice

R – Same as PG-13 but F-Word used throughout

they have the same words just a 2 point difference???

oc·cult Audio pronunciation of "occult" ( P ) Pronunciation Key (-klt, klt)

adj.

1. Of, relating to, or dealing with supernatural influences, agencies, or phenomena.

2. Beyond the realm of human comprehension; inscrutable.

3. Available only to the initiate; secret: occult lore. See Synonyms at mysterious.

4. Hidden from view; concealed.

1. Medicine. Detectable only by microscopic examination or chemical analysis, as a minute blood sample.

2. Not accompanied by readily detectable signs or symptoms: occult carcinoma.

People should start realising that Christianity is a form for occultism too. :-/

And yeah, that site is full of crap.

Originally posted by IG-64

After looking through the site I have to simply say welcome to the real world.

In their little world everyone would be vegetarian eskimos.

And reading bibles while playing games with no violence in them. ;P

TiE

Originally posted by Pie™

People should start realising that Christianity is a form for occultism too. :-/

indeed. and a rather boring form at that.... when compared to some of the more fun stuff, like the people that believe in the magical bunny.

Originally posted by IG-64

I.E. Pong.

Tetris > pong

A similiar website would be http://www.ccgr.org , which is kind of like that website but not quite so bad.

Anyway, I said it before and I'll say it again. Kids don't become gangsters, rapists or serial killers because of playing voilent games. Sure, the games might be intense or scary, but if the kid doesn't want to be scared then why are they playing it in the first place?!

Also E (everyone), T(13+) and M(17+) are pretty broad categories and IMO to be really accurate there should be something in-between. And really I've seen nothing in an M rated game (that's 16+ or 18+ for us Europeans) that a 12 year old can't handle.

I can see where they are coming from with the whole violence/nudeness/swearing thing, but what the **** is wrong with magic in a game? should kids not read "The Hobbit" because it has magic in it? what sort of a Ned Flanders steriotype would you have to be to think that?

EDIT:

*remembers the video game the Flanders kids were playing i one episode*

"Convert those heathens"

*chuckles to myself*

I weep for the future of mankind...

There is already a rating system for games. If parents just took responsibility and read the ratings which is displayed on the front of every single video game box I own, there wouldn't be problems. The ignorance kills me. I wish I was a judge for those courtcases where parents sue game companies for their bad parenting and giving their children the idea to shoot their brother.... [/angry babble]

Archived