Home

Petition lucasarts to rerelease old games in flash

Porkspam

The more obvious option that many suggest is to put the older games up for a pay download, which would take no work (and if they don't bother to update them, there's always SCUMMVM).

Of course, my opinion is that LucasArts is going out of their way to make sure a lot of older games are unavailable, but that's just me.

They really like to speed up the process of making a game 'old' now, too, by shoving it out the door as quickly as possible. (Jedi Knight 2 is a 'classic' already? Armed and Dangerous is a 'classic' already? I saw them both in the lex classics packaging for bargain prices at the store.)

Originally posted by RemiO

I think they should have been made free by now, at least the pre-Full Throttle games.

Well, that would be ideal ;), but this is LucasArts. I'd be thankful to get Maniac Mansion (the enhanced version), Zak, Indy3, and Loom back to availability at any reasonable cost. It seems as though that's asking too much, though.

Originally posted by RemiO

I think they should have been made free by now, at least the pre-Full Throttle games.

The thing is, the ones they do sell (eg Monkey Madness CD) do still make them enough money for it to be worth their while to keep selling them. Sadly, in their shortsighted way, they think "well it makes enough money to remain profitable without us even touching it, so why should we even bother risking investing money trying to clean them up to potentially make more money?"

Investing to update the titles or even pay someone to set up a pay download store (which would require some sort of DRM and other garbage that they'd have to pay someone to figure out and implement) just isn't worth the cost to the bean counters when Monkey Madness, Full Throttle jewel case edition, etc, in their current form, are still consistantly bringing in a trickle of cash.

Well, I think that fans should do it. I mean, look at the Maniac Mansion and Zak McKracken games that were ported to the windows platform, actually free to download. They use the FMtowns graphics, and are win32 applications. The same grouplater made a new Zak McKracken game that followed where the other left off. I am still suprised that LEC hasn't chopped their heads off.

A LucasArts adventure pack, which had every LucasArts adventure ever made in it on one DVD would be cool. That way LucasArts would still technically be selling their old games, but it would be *practically* giving them away.

Won't happen though. ;

Originally posted by Gabez

A LucasArts adventure pack, which had every LucasArts adventure ever made in it on one DVD would be cool. That way LucasArts would still technically be selling their old games, but it would be *practically* giving them away.

Won't happen though. ;

you ignorant putz

maybe if you'd said that on irc i would've read it

I'm a heavy supporter of scumm type games in flash. I think the idea of recreating old scumm games in flash is ingenius. Especially if they can become multiplayer enabled, with flash that makes things a whole lot easier. For example: imagine maniac mansion as a mutiplayer game, Each player (3 players) would get to be the character of their choice, nuff said! Of course the gameplay might have to change slightly but I think it is possible. With Implemented chat (as if the characters had walky talkies) would be cool. I actually have a desire to create a flash game that is similar to scumm games. But i need to get crackin on some macromedia studies. But here are links with examples of what is possible with the creation of Scumm-like flash games.

http://justadventure.com/IndependentDevs/PinheadGames/index.html

Pinhead games - scumm-like adventure games in flash! Case of the crabs and brain hotel!

http://www.face-engine.com

face engine is a site that offers a flash program that creates scumm-like games for flash, however, the site hasn't been working properly lately, I don't know why, and the site is in german (just look for the british flag to get the site in english).

P.S. Hopefully after revenge of the sith is released in theaters and its following merchandising, lucasarts will get crackin on their SCUMM games! Just a dream, not a reality, sort of like the matrix! I will be unplugged. I'm beggining to feel like the rebel alliance with all this anti-lucasarts crap.

Originally posted by Gabez

Won't happen though. ;

That'd be awesome, if they fit every game I'd pay 40 bucks for it. Every game being all the 2D adventures, since I think Escape from MI and GF would be too big to fit into that single DVD:

Maniac Mansion

Zak

INdy 3

Indy Fate of atlantis

Day of the Tentacle

Loom

Monkey island series

Full THrottle

Sam and Max

etc.

As we've told LEC several times, the ScummVM team is more than happy to help them reissue games through any means (freeware, pay-download, etc). Not flash, but still, ScummVM runs on almost anything :p

It's not really a matter of resources (apart from whatever legal), just non-community orientated thinking.

(On that note, I'm working on some New cool stuff - non-LucasArts :)

Originally posted by SpiffyTheDog

You're just TC for the IRC.

Don't try your hip lingo on me, sunny, I *wrote* the book on that shit. I also wrote the screenplay, but so far it's been badly recieved. But that's not the point.

It ain't no sin to be fed up of IRC after a year or whatever it was. Get over it. ;

Jokemaster - I reckon a DVD would fit EMI and GF on too, actually. They don't take up that much, despite coming on two discs, and DVDs have squillions of MB to burn.

That said, I'm probably wrong.

I'd say a dual-layered DVD could fit every LucasArts adventure from Labyrinth to EMI.

And ****, just wait until Blu-Ray (the one we WANT to win the big battle) becomes standard for data storage. Once multi-layered blu-ray discs become standard...hell, we're talking Ballblazer to...the fabric of time and space. And Outlaws.

Archived