Home

Best albums of 2004

Pie™

So, seeing how we already have lists for almost everything else, I thought it might be interesting to see what people think were the best cd releases of last year. :)

So, go ahead and list your favourites!

Mine;

5. Cradle Of Filth - Nymphetamine: Good album which really captured the feeling of symphonic metal, even with Dani Filth's screams.

Favorite song: Nymphetamine Overdose

4. Edguy - Hellfire Club: Amazing power metal album with many catchy and memorable songs which hit you from the very start.

Favorite song: King Of Fools

3. Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds - Abbatoir Blues/The Lyre Of Orpheus: It's both a double cd and the best of Nick's works in years; what more can one ask for? :D

Favorite song: Let The Bells Ring

2. Nightwish - Once: Inredibly epic and bombastic, without ever becoming too much. Tarja's vocals are angelic, and the backing orchestra just add to the feeling that each song is like a mini-soundtrack. This is experimenting done right.

Favorite song: Dark Chest Of Wonders

1. The 69 Eyes - Devils: My favorite band the last 6 months, and this release doesn't disappoint me at all. As good as all of the songs are memorable, and the album is packed with a nice goth n' roll mood. The helsinki vampires are taking their music a bit towards punk, but manage to keep it almost as good as their previous release Paris Kills, something which I salute them for.

Favorite song: Only You Can Save Me and Jimmy

Disappointments:

Danzig - Circle Of Snakes: Crappy vocals, and only 2 or 3 songs on here are memorable at all. Glen Danzig seems to finally have lost the touch, sadly.

The Cure - The Cure: Could have been so much more, but a nu-metal sound ruined the general The Cure experience for me. :(

The passings of Quorthon and Dimebag: Metal lost two of it's greatest pioneers, both passed way too soon. :(

Albums I should have listened to more but didn't:

Skinny Puppy - The Greater Wrong Of The Right

Darkthrone - Sardonic Wrath

After Forever - Invisible Circles

Ministry - Houses Of The Molé

Sonata Arctica - Reckoning Night

I've probably forgotten about a lot of albums though... Your turn ;P

My big one for this year was John Scofield - EnRoute ... I absolutely love that!

Rounded out some older stuff I had on albums back in the 70's and 80's that didn't survive, and tapes that died, mainly rock and jazz.

Lookign forward to the new Pat Metheny group coming out at the end of January.

Mike

EDIT - Giving reasons why :p

The Killers - Hot Fuss - This is a great cd blending 80's synth rock with current day rock. Excellent guitar work, synth work, incredible and catchy lyrics *see signature* make this my favorite of the year.

Favorite song - All These Things that I've Done

Green Day - American Idiot An amazing punk rock opera over an hour long with great guitar work, fast and slow. Some would argue that Green Day now falls in with the emo crowd. If thats what they think, then they're a DAMN good emo band. Excellent guitar work by Billie Joe Armstrong, excellent lyrics, tied with the Killers for best album of the year.

Favorite fast paced song - St. Jimmy

Favorite slow song - Wake Me Up When September Ends

Usher - Confessions 4 chart topping hits. Great voice. Great snare, great beats, good lyrics (if not comical at times) make this a grand R&B album. Kudos, Usher.

Favorite Song - Confessions Part I

Outkast - Speakerboxxx/The Love Below (don't recall if this was late 2003 or early 2004 >>) Come on, it's Outkast. Funny lyrics, great songs, amusing dance beats, classic dance cd

Favorite Speakerboxxx song - Church

Favorite Love Below song - Dracula's Wedding

Runner up-

Jay-Z/Linkin Park - Collision Course - Badass.

The only album from 2004 I bought is Aerosmith: Honkin' On Bobo.... I didn't really think it lived up to the name of Aerosmith, but still a gem. I also got the Aerosmith DVD, You Gotta Move, which came with an audio disc...... but I'm not sure if that counts. :)

Best albums? Phew. In no particular order:

After Forever - Invisible Circles: Amazing album. With it, After Forever blends the line betwee gothic metal and heavy metal, by experimenting with new sounds and more growls and grunts. The effect? Bombastic, imponating music, with an awesome way of working out a lyrical theme.

Favorite song: Victim Of Choices

Within Temptation - The Silent Force: Sharon's vocals got a step closer to perfection, the guitar riffs are more melodic, and the drumm rythms have become faster and more powerful. However, the keyboard work and the background choir is what truly set the mood for this atmospheric masterpiece. Great album.

Favorite song: It's The Fear

Nightwish - Once: See Pie's post

Favorite song: Ghost Love Score

Therion - Sirius B: Beautiful opera metal, awesome sound to it. The bombastic guitars combined with the serene vocals and choir backup is an amazing combination, and the track order is just perfect.

Favorite song: Son Of The Sun

Sirenia - An Elixir For Existance: Beautiful guitar riffs, and by that, I mean beautiful ones. Amazing solo's as well. The grunts ad high-pitched opera vocals vary enough to completely intrigue mostly anyone. Impressive piece of metal.

Favorite song: A Mental Symphony

Originally posted by Ragnos

How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb was the best one this year :D

I liked Linkin Park Jay Z-Collision Course to.

Originally posted by Dave Grohl

I thought How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb- U2. Was prett good.

That reminds me of this: link yoinked due to something or another-Cap

Caution youngsters, there are some words used at that link that some people, (like your parents) for some reason, might not like you reading, even though they don't mind at all yelling them at you, or letting you watch movies that feature the same words all the time.

One of my personal favorite moments in that link is this:

"8. How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb - U2 - Crumbs From Your Table

This song is about how America and its wealthiest people don't do enough to help solve world hunger. The title suggests that crumbs from our table could help starving people in Africa. Bono indicts America for being hypocritical with these lines:

Would you deny for others

What you demand for yourself?

Bono could not be reached for comment as he was stepping off his private jet and into his limousine."

For the record, I've not heard that album, but I've got enough U2 listening experience under my belt to agree with the author on every point, and know that I don't want to hear it.

I think the reason that these threads degenerate so quickly and people end up banned as a result is that people use the opportunity to denigrate others' choices and tastes in music.

I'm no U2 fan, nor of any rock or pop music in general, but I believe that passion for music is a wonderful thing, regardless of its' form.

So let's just allow people to express their love for stuff that came out this year, and leave it at that.

Mike

I don't have any problem whatsoever with people liking U2, or their music. If posting the above link has given you that impression, I will simply remove it rather than waste either of our time with a very insincere apology, even though I don't see how your saying you don't like U2 and me posting a link to a bit of humor is any different, except for the fact that my post contained said humor while yours contained just the complaints...

Originally posted by CapNColostomy

I don't have any problem whatsoever with people liking U2, or their music. If posting the above link has given you that impression, I will simply remove it rather than waste either of our time with a very insincere apology, even though I don't see how your saying you don't like U2 and me posting a link to a bit of humor is any different, except for the fact that my post contained said humor while yours contained just the complaints...

I did not say I don't like U2, I said I was not a U2 fan, but perhaps you lack the linguistic acuity to see the distinction. The reason I mention that is to state that my point has nothing to do with any particular group, but rather the nature of singling out and berating someone else's choice.

The difference between our posts is that:

- You wrote an off-topic post which singled out people who stated U2 as one of their faves, and (I don't care about the link) pointed out how it is pure crap in a manner which states it as fact.

- I pointed out that people should be able to post in a 'name your fave' thread without fear of getting a 'you like *that*?!? click here to discover why you are truly one of the biggest morons in the universe' reply.

I read these threads to see what the prodominantly *much* younger than me audience is listening to, and also as my wife and older son are in to 'alternative' stuff, and appreciates some of the stuff mentioned around here previously.

Mike

Maddox lost his touch a long time ago. He's just comes off as an old grumpy bastard nowadays.

Bleh, I dunno what my favorite album of the year is, although I agree with Blackout. Who Killed the Zutons is a great album. Morissey also released a great album this year as well.

I'll create a new category as well. Song of the Year. Mine would have to be "Commom People" by William Shatner. I kid you not, it's a great cover.

With regard to the kind of music I listen to, not much of interest was released in 2004...

I'm a huge Ben Harper fan, so I was very excited about the collaboration between Ben Harper and The Blind Boys of Alabama - There Will Be A Light. Great album, if somewhat short. There are some really beautiful songs on there; the kind that give you real hope, considering the times we live in.

Do live albums count? If so, Pearl Jam - Live At Benaroya Hall was great. It is rare for Pearl Jam to ever do an acoustic show, so when they *do* do one, and then release it, it's a real treat. Solid performances, great songs!

The second Echobrain album - Glean - was equally brilliant. Maybe not quite as tight as their debut; but slightly more experimental. A great effort, and a band I look forward to more releases from.

Finally, Frank Black Francis - a 2CD release: the first CD, Pixies demos from back in the 80s; the second CD, *extremely* experimental re-recordings of classic Pixies tracks. The first CD has been a long time coming, and is great - the second CD is very weird, not what you expect as a Pixies fan at all. But, once you've got into it, it's great!

I think that's pretty much everything I bought last year - at least in terms of new releases. This year should be better, with new releases expected from lots of my favourite bands ;)

Archived