Home

System requirements

Pad

Originally posted by lukeskywalker1

Which unreal engine does it use? Remember, they upgraded it, so who knows how it will be, if they added this pixel thing in then it probably won't work. I know in KOTOR they used some pixel stuff for the water, but I never saw any water. I must assume that my card doesn't support it... same with max payne and mirrors.

There is water in KOTOR. Manaan and Dantooine have areas with water.

I don't know which Unreal engine it uses but it's not the newest one for sure. Pixel Shaders have been in a lot of games for quite a while now.

I know there is water in KOTOR, but the Dantooine water doesn't show up. I think its because of my card.

The water pixel shader is probably too complex for your GPU...not all pixel shaders are that complex however. (Older cards have fixed functions for certain shaders like bump mapping and stuff) Doom 3 has about the same minimum video card requirements as Republic Commando, so RC should at least work even if not particulary fast. (Assuming Intel isn't lying about Doom 3 working on the card)

Originally posted by Gabrobot

Vertex and pixel shaders are programs that run on your GPU (which means your card has to have a GPU). They're used for things like bump mapping and water effects...if your card can run Doom 3, you're *probably* fine.

Firstly I'd just like to correct you (not to be rude), but all video cards have a GPU. There is simply a matter of quality and how many (Nvidia and ATI both work with multiple GPU's on their cards).

Your explanation of what they are is pretty much spot on though - however when the GPU can't handle it (Anti-Aliasing for example) it palms off the load to the CPU - which is when you'll start to lose frames. Having as much RAM as possible will also assist in this; unless you are running Windows 98 since it can only utilise something like 128MB of RAM.

Anymore than that and you are simply getting negative results from it. So if you are using Win98 and have enough RAM to play the game, I would suggest getting either Windows 2000 (if you can - its very stable and uses less RAM than XP) or a copy of XP (Home or Professional).

Thanks people.

Athlon 64-bit 3500+

Asus A8n-SLI

1GB Corsair DDR RAM (dual-channel)

128MB 6600GT PCI-e

Originally posted by JDKnite188

That is the recommended processor speed, but it is not the required processor speed. As long as your computer is above 1.0 ghz, the required processor speed, the game will run fine.

I have 800mhz dual pentium threes and my pc plays it fine soo.... they daid pentium three was good (lucas arts)

:mob:

• 2 weeks later...
Originally posted by JDKnite188

Republic Commando is going to look beautiful on my new machine (I haven't made a PC purchase in 5 yrs. beyond small upgrades):

3.4 Ghz P4

1 GB RAM

256 MB NVidia 6800

If you're after a vid card with 256MB RAM (DDR I'm sure :D) I would recommend getting a PCI express version as opposed to an AGP. PCI express will be able to utilise the capacity better than AGP because it has twice the throughput. You will notice the difference.

Be warned though, make sure that you have an excellent power-supply, especially for the Geforce 6 series. They are power hungry monsters which can give you a headache.

Also I (and many others) are trying to resolve issues that many games have with the Geforce 6 series. My only issue actually has to do with the Unreal engine (which Republic Commando uses); which crashes the system on exit (and rarely mid-game). ThisI have been told though is a driver issue and should be resolved in the next driver release from nVidia (currently using 66.93).

But anyway, have fun with the new pc, games will crank on that thing.

I just barely make the video card requirement...the minimum graphic card quality is 64 MB, which is exactly what I've got. I don't have Vertex whatever or Pixel Shader either, which makes a few of the graphic details look crappy. For example, when my squad mates take fire, rather than having that cool-looking shield acitvate like I see in the RC trailer, they just turn white, with no texture whatsoever.

It looks as if it's time I upgraded my video card :/

My best guess is your card has pixel shader, just not version 1.1. My card has 64 MBs too, just no trace of pixel shader whatsoever.

If you didn't have some kind of pixel/vertex shading the terrain, water, and lighting wouldn't appear...

You could have pixel and vertex shader 1.0 or something. Ive heard about some people only seeing white models and stuff. Mine just crashes to the desktop after loading.

My best guess is your card has pixel shader, just not version 1.1. My card has 64 MBs too, just no trace of pixel shader whatsoever.

If you didn't have some kind of pixel/vertex shading the terrain, water, and lighting wouldn't appear...

You could have pixel and vertex shader 1.0 or something. Ive heard about some people only seeing white models and stuff. Mine just crashes to the desktop after loading.

Oh, I didn't know that, thanks. Too bad there's now way to upgrade to 1.1 without buying a new card :(

Anyway, you made a very good point...shows how techsmart I am :D It's a relief to know that I have Pixel Shader, even if it's not topnotch.

Originally posted by joetheeskimo5

Oh, I didn't know that, thanks. Too bad there's now way to upgrade to 1.1 without buying a new card :(

Anyway, you made a very good point...shows how techsmart I am :D It's a relief to know that I have Pixel Shader, even if it's not topnotch.

Well, you might not have it. I really don't know. The only reason I can think that it would run on your card is if you have an older version of it.

It really sucks you can't upgrade... or for me, I can't even add that feature onto my card.

Well, the latest and "Final" drivers of my card came out, I downloaded them, and still, nothing. Oh well. I guess they won't be making drivers for my card anymore :-(

Archived