Home

Best vocalists?

GothiX

I was wondering, who would you consider to have great vocals? Mind you, by that, I mean that their band could make them completely suck - but their voice remains great. In example. :)

For the male vocals:

5. Robert Smith - The Cure - Robert's vocal style is amazingly impressive. The emotion that echoes in it, is exactly what set the tone for the New Wave, and even today, I think his vocals are still amazing.

4. David Draiman - Disturbed - Power. That's what David's vocals are pretty much all about. The slight raw texture to his voice adds tremendous power, even though he still can produce beautiful harmonic vocals - like in the Prayer chorus. I do believe that his voice was better on Believe than on The Sickness, though.

3. Corey Taylor - Slipknot / Stone Sour - Probably the only really 'odd' one on this list. Corey's vocals for Slipknot were, as I see it, completely rubbish, and I wasn't very fond of Stone Sour as well. However, when a friend of mine brutally forced me to listen to Bother, I had to change my mind. Corey's voice is really emotional, touching, and he never even tries to scream. Sad to see such talent wasted on Slipknot's work.

2. Tim Owens - Judas Priest / Iced Earth - Though his work for Judas Priest wasn't really that great at all, Tim's voice worked amazingly wel for Iced Earth. On The Glorious Burden, it shows how much personality he can add to the music, through his voice. In fact, the music wouldn't nearly have been as good without it. The high pitches this guy gets to, are even scary at times, yet his voice remains very clear. Great vocals, thus.

1. Mikael Åkerfeldt - Opeth - While his grunts and grawls on Opeth's earlier work were impressive, it really is his soft, touching voice on Damnation that made me pick Mikael over others. The emotion in his voice is unbelievable, and definitely complements the music on the album. Number one, for sure.

As for female vocals:

5. Nicole Bogner - Visions of Atlantis - A sweet soprano, one that manages to sound very sharp and clear no matter at what height - that's great vocal work. Shame that VOA's male singer doesn't live up to her voice, though.

4. Sharon Den Adel - Within Temptation - Another soprano, though one that isn't as powerful. Her voice is very whispery and subtle at times, while she sounds great with an evil tone in her voice as well. Especially when she fades from shy to evil in a duet with After Forever, is incredible. Check out Beyond Me.

3. Stefanie Duchêne - Flowing Tears - Emotion. That's something you can hear even without trying to, when listening to Stefanie's voice. It's enchanting, and it sets the mood perfectly. Especially in songs like For Tonight, you can clearly notice that.

2. Simone Simons - Epica - Very classic vocal style, although executed close to perfection. Her voice has that special tone, that really makes you want to listen even more closely, and her vocal range is astounding as well. From whispers to long-stretched high singing, she pulls it off in remarkable fashion.

1. Tarja Turunen - Nightwish - Enchanting, wonderful and magic only begin to describe Tarja's voice. It's powerful, though serene at the same time. If anything would be perfect, I nominate Tarja's voice.

In case you think Amy Lee would also fit either of those descriptions: No. I've heard her live three times now, and it all were major letdowns. She can't sing live, at all.

Anyway, post yours!

Male (in no particular order):

Robert Smith (The Cure): Same reasons as above

Hansi Kürsch (Blind Guardian/Demons and Wizards): Majestic and epic voice, he really sounds like he could lead an army to war!

Andrew Eldritch (The Sisters Of Mercy): Not that Andy has an incredible voice, but it justs fits so perfect with his music, a master of gloom indeed.

Varg Vikernes (Burzum): Not the nicest guy around, but boy does he sing with passion. His voice sounds so tortured and twisted, it's almost incredible. That might not be the best quality of the singer of a mainstream band, but for Burzum's music it's perfect.

Tobias Sammet (Edguy): This guys voice is so energic, it's hard to believe. Could probably challenge Maiden's Bruce Dickinson for the best metal vocalist the last 20 years. And if that's not enough, he's even better live, when he really gets to mess around.

Female:

Christina Scabbia (Lacuna Coil): Enchanting and beautiful, her voice is amazing too :p

Elysabeth Grant (Black Tape For A Blue Girl): Mesmerising to say the least. Her voice is like velvet, soothing and beautiful.

Tarja Turunen (Nightwish): Same reasons as GothiX's post.

Liv Kristine (ex Theatre Of Tragedy): Has a beautiful voice that could melt anything, or so it seems. Did backup vocals on Cradle Of Filths new single, and still sounds like an angel.

Tori Amos: Tori is a godess. Nuff said.

Originally posted by ckcsaber

Best vocalist ever = Freddie Mercury

QUEEN RULES!

Males:

Glenn Danzig - misfits, after samhain his voice got a very cocky overtone to it.

He had a very evil elvis sound to him when he was in the misfits. Still does kind of, but now he really comes off as an ******* even when singing.

David Bowie. don't really have to explain.

John Lennon - his voice carries so much emotion it's hard, and damn near impossible, to dislike his singing.

I'll think of more later.

Females:

Tori Amos.

Sarah Mclachlan.

Yoko Kanno. She has an amazing voice.

Aretha Franklin.

Ella Fitzgerald.

There's only one man on the planet I would consider giving the award of "best vocalist" to.

The reason why comes down to versatility - there is not one style this man cannot sing. And half the styles he does sing, can't even be classified. He's an absolute god with a microphone - listen to Angel Dust by Faith No More for a real taster of the true scope of his voice. Then wack on a Mr Bungle, Fantomas or Tomahawk record for a complete and utter contrast. Everything he sings, he does with style, puts his own stamp on it, and grabs you by the balls at the same time. He is, of course, Mike Patton. Hell, the guy has released an album (or two) simply consisting of sounds he can make with his voice - AND people buy it. The guy's a genius, and no-one else comes close.

That's not to say there aren't other great vocalists - just no-one with the same felxibility of style, or voice, that he has. For example, Chris Cornell (pre-Audioslave days) has an amazing voice. In terms of projection, and power, he probably beats Patton. Check out some of the earlier Soundgarden stuff, and then the work on his solo album Euphoria Morning to see what I mean. Then, for sheer beauty of voice, Ben Harper is virtually unrivalled. I've seen him live, and no-one else I know can create so much emotion with their voice alone - people often refer to the voice as an instrument, Ben Harper really brings meaning to that phrase.

What I'm trying to say is that there are tons of singers that are great within their own style, but don't venture much outside of their "comfort zone." Mike Patton is the exception to the rule, and only when you have really sat down and listened to his work in Faith No More, and his dozens of side projects, will you come to the conclusion that he is the greatest, and no other singer can touch him for love nor money.

Originally posted by InsaneSith

John Lennon - his voice carries so much emotion it's hard, and damn near impossible, to dislike his singing.

I think I saw a quote from him that he didn't like his own voice. Maybe I'm wrong? (Love his voice tho)

I can't think of too many vocalists, but here are what I think of:

Robert Plant - Singer from my favorite band, Led Zeppelin. He could sing the blues just as good as anyone before him, if not better.

Freddie Mercury - Must I explain?

John Lennon - Just cuz.

Roger Waters- His voice. It's jsut the Pink Floyd sound, you gotta love it.

Mitar Miric - Yugoslavian folk singer. Incredibly AMAZING voice, and I don't think of any singers from any countries that could even come close to matching his style.

David Bowie

Iggy Pop

Mike Patton

Daryl Hall

Chris Connelly

Peter Gabriel

Phil Collins

Ian Curtis

Alice Cooper

Layne Staley

Chris Cornell

Page Hamilton

Eddie Vedder

Nat King Cole

Frank Sinatra

Al Green

Grace Slick

Dido Armstrong

Seal

Cher

Bono

Sting

Madonna

Don Henley

David Draiman

Aaron Lewis

Lajon Witherspoon

David Gilmore

Bjork

Tori Amos

Chris Connelly

Ian MacKaye

Guy Picciotto

Henry Rollins

Nivek Ogre (Kevin Ogilvie)

Maynard Keenan

Jim Marcus

Paul McCartney

Joe Walsh

Steve Miller

OK Genre time:

PUNK-

Jello Biafra

HIP HOP-

KRS-One

SOPRANO- (female)

Emma Kirkby

DEATH METAL-

Dave Vincent - Morbid Angel

HARDCORE-

Henry Rollins(Black Flag Days)

SPECIAL MENTION/Unique-

Nick cave

Bjork

60s Rock-

Janis Joplin

Jim Morrison

70s Rock-

Robert Plant

Iggy Pop

IN THE SHOWER-

Astro

etc

mtfbwya

Originally posted by InsaneSith

you poor child. :(

Yeah, I figured that's what was coming :p

Which is why I meade it clear that I do not think he's the best singer ever, I just think he sings the best compared to what other stuff I've heard.

Originally posted by IG-64

Yeah, I figured that's what was coming :p

Which is why I meade it clear that I do not think he's the best singer ever, I just think he sings the best compared to what other stuff I've heard.

Then you quite clearly need to hear more ;)

I like:

Steven Tyler (DUH!, He's my favorite vocalist of all time. I think he has such an awesome rock scream. :D)

Mick Jagger (Stones, because he kinda sounds like Steven Tyler. :D)

Bon Scott (AC/DC) (I don't really like Brian Johnson much, but Bon was a genius)

Those are my 3 favorite. I like a lot more then those tho.

Archived