Home

Ahh, firefox how we love you!

jon_hill987

I think the worst thing about it is that Ms didn't do anything about it.

on the grounds that Microsoft was alerted to the problem in October 2004

Microsoft has yet to release a software fix for any of the problems and US computer security firm Secunia raised its threat assessment for all three flaws to the most severe on Friday.

It really does suck that Ms cannot be bothered to fix their software.

Hey there,

Just wondering, why do you think it is that Firefox has replaced Netscape as the main alternative to IE? I may be wrong in saying that, but it is my perception. For all its name-brand recognition that it had in the mid-90s, you would think that it would be referenced more often in articles like this.

For the record, yes I know Netscape uses Mozilla.

Originally posted by tk102

Just wondering, why do you think it is that Firefox has replaced Netscape as the main alternative to IE?

I don't know for sure but one thing firefox has that other browsers don't is addons and plugins galore I'm not sure if netscape has that.

If it does then i don't know why.

it also looks so bright and colourfull!

Hey there,

Just wondering, why do you think it is that Firefox has replaced Netscape as the main alternative to IE? I may be wrong in saying that, but it is my perception. For all its name-brand recognition that it had in the mid-90s, you would think that it would be referenced more often in articles like this.

For the record, yes I know Netscape uses Mozilla.

Firefox really looks like IE. So people use is as a good alternative because it's more familliar.

Umm, why doesn't MS just dump IE and start from scratch? I mean, come one. They have fixed it to much! Could they just start on a completely new web browser?

IE has an incredible amount of security holes, its base coding has just way to many holes in it.

TiE

Umm, why doesn't MS just dump IE and start from scratch?
Back in the Windows 95 days, there may have been hope for this. However, Microsoft has taken deliberate steps to make IE an integrated part of its O.S.s. Do you remember the core issue of the anti-trust lawsuit brought against MS by Netscape, Sun, and the state of Massachusetts? It was that IE was being distributed unfairly bundled with the Windows 95/98/NT operating systems. Microsoft stonewalled and exclaimed that IE couldn't be separated from the OS without losing OS functionality. The Department of Justice picked up on the fact that yes, while Win95 uses the COM object model and requires .dll files that are distributed with IE3, the same .dll files (eg. comctl32.dll) are distributed to 3rd party vendors without IE3...and couldn't Windows 95 be handled in the same way...? Nonetheless, Microsoft won the day and at the same time churned out Windows 2000 and Windows XP.

With all that $$ spent on development, integration, and lawsuits... no way are they going to drop IE. So the consumers have to patch all the time... eh, that's what windowsupdate is for (so the MS thinking goes).

And remember y'all -- because IE is so tightly bundled with Windows, the holes IE often mean holes in Windows ... even if you use Firefox. So patch! (Note this security bit is IE-specific however.)

Originally posted by Astrotoy7

firefox and IE both have suckage....

*giggles*

its only a matter of turn before Microsoft acquires the license to use the good bits of the firefox code... you know why :

coz they got da money :D

you can't buy what isn't legally held by any one person or group.

A few security holes are starting to show through in firefox too, now that the hackers are noticing it... so you can't really use one or two holes as a reason to bash anything.

To be fair to MS they HAVE announced they are releasing updates to those issues in the next few days.

MS software isn't all bad, the problem is the way they exploit their installer base to force them to do things and download things their way.

Eg: The new MS Antispyware insists on having the latest IE installed. WHY?????

The new xbox will probably only play MS DRMed music and video, meaning you have to buy from MS sites, can only plug in MS computers, mp3 players, media players, etc... grr!!!

I'd bet the new longhorn has IE (or whatever browser) so tightly integrated into the operating system that it will allow them to argue it is now unremovable. Unfortunately that might be the end of external browsers, even cool ones like firfox. And then we will all be trapped in the MS world.

The republicans aren't exactly gonna launch another alwsuit are they? What the EU may do is our only hope...

----------------

The great thing about firefox is it does stylesheets properly. The first browser to do so IMHO. That and extensions, which are a great idea.

MTV2: I upgraded firefox today. When i started the new version it gave me a list of incompatible extensions and said it had disablled them. It then told me updates were ready. I clicked on the updates icon and it updated all but one. For the one that didn't work I right clicked and chose "home page" and downloaded it manually. Must ahve taken under 1 minute to upgrade 15 extensions. :D

*spits on firefox*

*continues to use IE*

there will always be flaws in every program. i dont have ActiveX switched on anyway. i conclude with a special salute to the idiots who posted example code showing exactly how to use the flaw for hacking

oh well worse things happen at see, at least its not Netscape Navigator, just thinking about that program makes me want to perform an illegal action and shut down :D

edit: sod it *downloads firefox*

toms said

I'd bet the new longhorn has IE (or whatever browser) so tightly integrated into the operating system that it will allow them to argue it is now unremovable

They could argue that now. If you use Win2K or XP, ever notice that Windows Explorer looks a lot like Internet Explorer? Or the addition of Active Desktop... hmm.

Unfortunately that might be the end of external browsers, even cool ones like firfox.

No don't worry about that. As long as Windows machines can run 3rd party executables, there will be 3rd party applications for everything.

jon_hill987 said

You can run windows fine without IE,

Incorrect. The line between IE and Windows has been blurred too much. It is now hard distinguish what is pure Internet Explorer technology. If you go back to Win95/IE3, you can see the beginning of the comingling with COM. Since then OLE has expanded in both directions as well. There is no separating the two.

Incorrect. The line between IE and Windows has been blurred too much. It is now hard distinguish what is pure Internet Explorer technology. If you go back to Win95/IE3, you can see the beginning of the comingling with COM. Since then OLE has expanded in both directions as well. There is no separating the two.

Well I uninstalled IE and the only problem I had was MSN mesenger not working, I tryed trillian but hated it, so I reinstalled IE.

Well, they lost their "we can't remove IE from windows" case when it was proven that most of this stuff that claimed it needed IE didn't... it just needed a few DLLS that MS insisted on only bundling with IE.

I think prosecutors discovered that they WERE in special occasions distributing software they claimed needed IE without IE (and just with those dlls...)

But they won't make that mistake with Longhorn, or whatever comes after it. Anyone using longhorn will HAVE to use its web browser, its media player and use file formats and media devices that support it's codecs and pay MS royalty.

Thats when i might try and learn linux... :D

Archived