Home

Favorite RTS?

Mike Windu

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 month later...

Empires, Ground Control (OK, so that's a tactical game, not a strategy game, but oh well), Empire Earth, and Age of Empires 2. Not necessarily in that order.

The C&C series is good if you like that kind of... game, but I like more serious titles. The cliches and stereotypes of the C&C series get too childish at times:cool: , and I didn't like any other C&C game than Generals anyway...

BFME is not a bad game, in my opinion, but it's wa-a-a-y too simplistic and shallow for my liking. I prefer deep, involving titles.

Homeworld and Warlords are OK, but again, I like deeper games, so they're not my thing.

Warcraft III definetly has the world's best unit and building editor, and it's not a bad game either... But again, it's just not my type of game.

Galactic Battlegrounds was neat too.

• 3 months later...

The moon project/Lost souls (the same game, different campaign)

Something about that game I just can't get over. Maybe it has something to do with unlimited # of units controlled at once, or a ton of customizability with the units and buildings. Only thing missing from this game was a scripting tool with the map editor.

I don't seem to have a particular order here...

1. C&C series (until RA2, Tiberian Sun was ok)

2. Age of Empires series

3. Star Craft

4. War Craft 3

generals??? c&c generals SUCKED!

A matter of opinion I suppose, but I would have to agree that it did... It was rushed.

I cannot understand that nobody shouted Anno 1602! It was so great and it was my first PC game.

Yeah, Anno 1602 was a great game. I never found it around though, it wasn't a "big" game. There was also another cool game called Moonbase Commander. It was very addictive. You have to command an AI taking over Moon. Various buildings are connected by glowing lines and you have to aim and shoot packs to deploy buildings. The whole game was like a mixture of puzzle and RTS (it was actually turn-based, come to think of it).

• 5 weeks later...
Guest DarthMaulUK

Dune 2 on the amiga was a true masterpiece and the first real RTS ever. It had it all. And I believe some of the guys behind that, are working on EaW...because Westwood were responsible for it, before EA swallowed them up

DMUK

AoK:TC most definitely. It is insanely fun, deceptively deep, and brilliantly made. It may not have come out as early as Dune 2 or have the widespread adulation of StarCraft, but it is the template on which all RTS's are based and the game against which they are judged (outside of the Total War Series and its spawn).

SWGB comes in second, for obvious reasons.

Archived