Home

The very end of jk

InfErnO

Originally posted by Neverhoodian

Well, there's still the enjoyable single player mode to play on. As long as a game has a single player mode, it doesn't become truly extinct.

I was being facetious and sarcastic ... but of course it also depends on making sure your computer will still run it correctly, which should be easier for JK & MotS than for Dark Forces, for example.

Mike

Bah, you never needed the MSN Gaming zone to play JK or MotS.

You can play it on Kali.

Or GameSpy(or GameSpyArcade) for free.

Or you can use Qtracker...

Or just find somebody (like through X-fire or whatnot) and trade IP's. Host a server and play.

Then there's Rbots (http://rbots.massassi.net) for offline deathmatching or CTF fun (not the same, I know).

Finally, some new utils were recently released (see JK.net's news). Massassi has tons of neat stuff, like a higher poly Kyle model to liven things up.

But screw you MSN, just the same... ; p

Originally posted by Kurgan

Bah, you never needed the MSN Gaming zone to play JK or MotS.

You can play it on Kali.

Or GameSpy(or GameSpyArcade) for free.

Or you can use Qtracker...

Never seen a host in qtracker or gamespy and if you host yourself no one will join. Never tried Kali, but I'm sure there aren't any games either. Those might have worked when the game was still popular.

Let's face it, the zone was the easiest and most comfortable way to host/join a jk game.

Originally posted by INFERNOJHC

Never seen a host in qtracker or gamespy and if you host yourself no one will join. Never tried Kali, but I'm sure there aren't any games either. Those might have worked when the game was still popular.

Let's face it, the zone was the easiest and most comfortable way to host/join a jk game.

I played on the Zone a total of four days, in the 3 1/2 years I spent playing JK/MotS online (from JK's release in Oct. 1997 to JK2's release in March (?) 2002). I generally found it to be a wretched hive of scum and villiany, and though I was cautious, I never regretted not going back for JK (though I did return briefly to play some Rainbow6 a few years later, another game which I didn't look back on).

Yes, I agree that Zone was the "easiest" way to host a game, but only because LA (LEC at the time) made a deal with Microsoft to promote the Internet Gaming Zone (as the MSN GZ was called back then) with their games.

Back then IGZ was IE only (at a time when Netscape dominated the market and was a clearly superior product), and required a tedius setup.

My complaints about the zone at that time and since then were famous throughout the land (well, with all my ranting I'm sure it was). They made you jump through so many hoops, it was just insane (me, being used to simply IP joining games after posting on a form like JK.net's JediBoard). Then there was all that nonesense about Microsoft .NET functionality being required, etc.

They had quantity, but not quality. Since JediBoard died due to lack of maintainance after a server move back in like 2000-2001 thereabouts and the guy who created it had quit the site (we love you still, danbeck!) it really did become the "easiest" place to go to play. Prior to this Qtracker worked actively with Jediboard to scan servers and provide player lists. You could launch or join a game directly from Qtracker. It was excellent, fast, and efficient, without any of the crap of the Zone (oh boo hoo, you can't chat with people before the match, who cares?).

However, at that time also the "exclusive" relation between LEC and M$ apparently opened up a bit and so other services were finally allowed to have free JK/MotS servers support, which is how we finally got Gamespy/Arcade support. Services like Kali and Heat.net apparently always supported JK, but since they were pay services, it was pretty quiet about them. To this day I have no idea how many people actually used them to play the JK series.

As to hosting...

Sure, you can host a game and nobody will ever join, because this is a game that had no dedicated server support, that was released seven years ago!

Unless LA releases a new patch (which isn't unprecedented for an old game, Outlaws got a patch after many years), the way you have to play, is the same way anyone else had to play, which is to TELL people about it.

You IM your friends and setup a game, or, like in Gamespyarcade, it scans your computer for installed games, and then puts that in your profile. Then you can search people by the games they have installed. Send an invite out to the list of people with JK (or MotS) installed and wham-o, you've got your game.

It's not like you're going to be hosting a 32 player game anyway (JK/MotS tends to have trouble handling more than 8 players at a time anyway, even on fast connections, though on a LAN you may be able to get away with more nowadays). The Zone limited you to 4 players (though people found ways around that), and that's all most people ever did.

So wow, you have to find a total of 3 people. Sure, it's not as easy to get a game as it was back in 1998, but it's not impossible. There's enough folks around here that would be willing to play a round or two I would think.

Btw, I'm not the typical zoner.

I started with the jediboard and I used it along with qtracker more than 1 year. During that time I tested the zone as well, but only 1 day (or should I say 20 minutes? Lol) ...

Ah, I'm too lazy to type more stuff ...

Didn't read all your stuff Kurgan, too many words ...

later

Qtracker is going to re-add support, and from what I've heard it SOUNDS like it's going to have its own master server, so like Jediboard again (which we haven't had up for like four years), but I won't know for sure until I see it in action.

Since Jediboard went down, you see, Qtracker would only detect games you manually put the IP in for, or games playing on your local LAN. That should be changing in the next release.

That's how in interpret the latest word anyway...

Archived