Home

The Future of Lucas Arts

Subjectruin

How far fetched would it be for Lucas Arts to make a daring leap into the film industry. Image films or television shows based on the excellent storytelling, production quality, writing, and style of all the original adventure games and apply them into a slightly different format, sans-interactivity.

Look at Outlaws, for example - its gameplay? Pretty much just like any other first person of that now-outdated generation. but the cutscenes and music? Very stylish, fun to watch/listen to, interesting.

I know this will never happen, but seriously, how cool would that be? We all know ol' Georgie has the cash.

If anything I think the various departments of LucasFilm will become defunct, or merge in the future. I mean, Lucas used to own Pixar, and on some old (ish) movies like T-2 the special effects are in the credits as "by LucasArts, a division of LucasFilm Ltd." so I'd guess that ILM and LucasArts used to be a lot closer than they are today. I don't know, though.

And if the theme song is anything to go from, Maniac Mansion was the worst TV show in history. Enjoy.

I've seen the TV show. It's a family sitcom through and through. It's not based on the game at all, you've just got the title and the name Dr. Fred Edison for marketing tie-ins. I don't think it's at all valid as proof of what something based on a LucasArts game would be like.

Nope, no tentacles. Instead, Fred's kid son has the body of a grown man (the joke being that he made baby noises...to say the humor fell flat was an understatement) and his brother was turned into a fly (his scenes treat us to some terrible blue-screen work). Both were the results of experiments gone awry. Those I guess were to give the show a weird edge but other than that it was a pure family sitcom. It was actually sometimes funny and I'd definitely watch it over crap like The Brady Bunch but this isn't what I'd call classic TV and definitely not what you'd expect from an adaptation of a game that was pretty much a horror/scifi movie parody. Don't go spend all sorts of money tracking this show down unless you know what to expect, which is very clean, sappy, and light-hearted family entertainment.

Also while the Canadians got the normal episodes, we were treated to very bad "added-on" laugh tracks, which were put in there for no apparent reason.

Just play the game. ;)

We know there's probably going to be at least one Star Wars TV show in lieu of more movie-based sequels. Wouldn't it be cool if Lucasfilm made shows set in the Star Wars universe based on some of the Star Wars game licenses? A Dark Forces/Jedi Knight show has potential, and I think an X-Wing or TIE Fighter show would be cool. I've always thought the "plot" of the first X-Wing game, as seen in the official strategy guide would be an interesting premise for a TV series. It's very Kurt Busiek-ish.

Mojo reported on a possible Star Wars based TV show, and unless they base it on pre-existing characters like the Indy TV shows (which to be fair weren't all bad, but it just made Indy into a totally different character) it would be great. Some kind of Jedi cop show ;)

I had always thought that it would be neat to do an animated series based on the adventures of Boba Fett, done in the style of the Boba Fett comic book mini-series. Sort of Star Wars meets Cowboy Bebop. I guess that couldn't happen now, since Episode II totally ruined Boba Fett. I liked it better when we knew nothing about Boba Fett's past.

I think that in order for a LucasArts game to be on television, it would...

A) be a Saturday morning cartoon

B) be soley based on the characters in the game, in their pre-meditated habitats and lifestyles given to them IN the game.

C) Stay true to the original.

Like I think if Maniac Mansion were a TV show today, it would be about many different characters, but they would be animated in a similar way to DOTT. Also, they would have similar adventures to DOTT. I think that having a show, that gives us an afterword would be nice, like the kids in colledge. Green Tentacle and his band, Purple Tentacle in his plot for Fred Edison domination, Hoagie and his roadieness, or trying to pass an exam. You know, like a normal cartoon, only about the game. That would be sweet. I would like to see Sandy and Dave getting wed and shacking up, or Laverne and Bernard fall in love, or just down into a larg pit where they have to figure out a way to get out.

Originally posted by LucasTones

... the Indy TV shows (which to be fair weren't all bad, but it just made Indy into a totally different character) it would be great...

Yeah, a LucasArts TV show in the style of the Young Indy Chronicles would be great. Probably live-action (Monkey Island?) and broadcast on Sunday afternoons at, oh, say 3pm?

I guess they could have artistic freedom on the character of young Indy because he's, well, *young*, and people generally do change quite a lot in their life.

Archived