Home

Me and my Big G5

legameboy

Here I am, typing on my brand-spankin'-new G5. This is so much better than Windows. I don't know how I ever spent so much time using that Microsoft hunk-of-junk when I could have been using one of these dream machines. I'm still keeping my old PC for some of that "other" work.

Anyone else use Macs, and if so, what is your "switch" story?

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've still got my old computer, Rhett. It can still handle the games that come out now-a-days.

The G5 wasn't as expensive as I had thought it would be. My system was only two-thousand dollars. My system specifications are:

Hardware Overview:

Machine Model: iMac G5

CPU Type: PowerPC G5 (3.0)

Number Of CPUs: 1

CPU Speed: 1.8 GHz

L2 Cache (per CPU): 512 KB

Memory: 1 GB

Bus Speed: 600 MHz

Boot ROM Version: 5.2.2f2

System Software Overview:

System Version: Mac OS X 10.3.5 (7P36)

Kernel Version: Darwin 7.5.0

How do you like 'em apple'!

Ah Tyrion, it is you that needs a patting on the head.

Although the specifications depict a 1.8 Gigahertz processor speed, the hand in glove fit of the operating system and the computer being made by the same company makes my machine run like greased lightning. If you were to compare the speed of your PC with the speed of my Mac, you would be suprised at the results.

Phreaky, give in to the Mac. It is your... destiny.

Originally posted by legameboy

Ah Tyrion, it is you that needs a patting on the head.

Although the specifications depict a 1.8 Gigahertz processor speed, the hand in glove fit of the operating system and the computer being made by the same company makes my machine run like greased lightning. If you were to compare the speed of your PC with the speed of my Mac, you would be suprised at the results.

Are you sure you're not experiencing new installation freshness? It could bog down like Windows the more you install stuff, although that might be hard since there's not alot to install.

I'm curious though, what's your video card? I know Apple doesn't make those, so you can only buy the Ati or Nvidia versions.

Just about 95% of all the software I'm going to install on here is either made by Apple or sponsored by Apple. Every one of their programs works seemlessly with the operating system and so they aren't conflicting with one another, resulting in a smooth and fast computer.

The video card in your standard G5 (and the one I have) is a NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200 Ultra w/64MB video memory.

Originally posted by legameboy

Ok, no more games, slower computer, more expensive, an interface I hate, can't download even free games, my MP3 player would't be supported. And Mac using people are just as bad as AOL using people :p

So, you want me to throw away my collection of over 30 games? Over my dead body.

TiE

Uh, look at my specs... it only cost around $1500, and it still runs circles around the G5. :cool:

Pentium 4 3.2ghz w/Hyper Threading

1024 MB RAM

120GB HD x2

P4C800 ASUS Mother Board

XFX 6600GT 128mb OC'd to 568mhz vs. 500mhz standard

Source Engine Stress Test: 112 fps

TiE

Originally posted by KBell

Well you can play a very nice game of Solataire on that baby :)

Ah man! Im like, so jealous!

List of why macs suck

1. Where is the disk eject?

2. They only have one mouse button, less productivity

3. Where are the function (F1, F2, etc.) buttons?

4. They are slow as hell

5. Only macintosh makes the software

6. No real multi-tasking

7. Real men use DOSThe Mac OS Sucks!!!

8. Your system has crashed, what do you do now (without the backup (DOS))

9. They're not IBM compatible

10. They're made by the same people that made the apple IIe

11. They're not quite as powerful as a Commodore or Tandy

12. The Atari had better games

13. Microsoft's chairman, Bill Gates, is very public, who the heck is mac's chairman

14. Formatting a disk takes up half of its space

15. They have about as much memory as Ronald Reagan

16. No real businessman would own one or be caught using one

17. They somehow force schools to buy them so students don't learn how to use a real computer untill college

18. It costs more for everything on a mac

Link

:p

http://www.mac-sucks.com/

TiE

Originally posted by TiE 23

13. Microsoft's chairman, Bill Gates, is very public, who the heck is mac's chairman

16. No real businessman would own one or be caught using one

13. I believe it's Steve Jobs....and Gates owns part of Apple i believe aswell. But why does this make Apple inferior?

14. If they work with graphics, Apple would be the #1 choice.

"The G4 scored between 147 and 187 on the floating point tests, while the Pentium III scored 297. Today's Pentium 4's double that figure, and as a result, today's PCs are four times as fast as Apple's professional line in some situations."

Mac vs PC: Mac Slaughtered Again

Kekekeke

Converting to the Mac'ism means that you will be sacrifing the diversity of software available for the PC. Sure, you get the essential word-processor and web-browser. The main thing you are giving up are games. Be prepared to live a live without entertainment in this form. When the games eventually (if they ever do) reach the Mac they are outdated and old news, but atleast at that point the minimum requirements are met by your computer.

Apple hire good designers. Saying anything else would be a lie. But it didn't take the manufacturers of PCs long to catch on and start releasing cases of their own with great designs. You can choose almost any design on your PC nowadays. What you don't get with the Mac is the ability to choose your own components, specifications and looks. This is all a reality with a PC.

"Buying a PC is buying freedom of choice!"

http://files.redvsblue.com/switch/RvB_Switch.mov

TiE

1. Where is the disk eject?

The keyboard, much more convenient (sp?)

2. They only have one mouse button, less productivity

Just hold ctrl and press, simple as that

4. They are slow as hell

5. Only macintosh makes the software

wrong and wrong

8. Your system has crashed, what do you do now (without the backup (DOS))

Thats just it, it doesnt crash.

Originally posted by Herminator

The keyboard, much more convenient (sp?). Just hold ctrl and press, simple as that

No and No. Maybe the disk eject on the keyboard could take some adapting, but I would throw my nonexistant Mac out the window because of the mouse.

I'll say his about the iMac, with the hundreds (possibly thousands) of people that use the iMacs in the Emporium, they still run at the same speed and arn't boggled down with Spyware that a PC would get. I still hate them though.

Ahh, good work Leg. I've done a few techsupport jobs in mu neighborhood and school.

Originally posted by Herminator

The keyboard, much more convenient (sp?)

Just hold ctrl and press, simple as that

wrong and wrong

Thats just it, it doesnt crash.

Meh, thats an old site, and plus.... I have never had the BSOD for like, 4 years.

Edit:

Converting to the Mac'ism means that you will be sacrifing the diversity of software available for the PC. Sure, you get the essential word-processor and web-browser. The main thing you are giving up are games. Be prepared to live a live without entertainment in this form. When the games eventually (if they ever do) reach the Mac they are outdated and old news, but atleast at that point the minimum requirements are met by your computer.

Can't beat that, can you?

TiE

Well, macs are really expensive, but I'll get a mac when they come with a G5 version of the Mini mac.

Or maybe I'll just cave in and buy the Minimac. I really want a mac, just for fun. they look cool too. I'd get a normal mouse, since I can't live without scroll. :)

Originally posted by Acrylic

Well, macs are really expensive, but I'll get a mac when they come with a G5 version of the Mini mac.

Or maybe I'll just cave in and buy the Minimac. I really want a mac, just for fun. they look cool too. I'd get a normal mouse, since I can't live without scroll. :)

:eyeraise:

Macs

Pros: Uh, they don't freeze? Look cool.

Cons: Macs are more expensive, can't play any games, slower, no customization.

PCs

Pros: Customizable (physical and electronicaly), games, speed, price, they are a lot like tuner cars in a sense. :p

Cons: Lock up when running 20 programs at the same time, viruses.

My uncle told me he still get lots of adwares on his mac and he can't do anything about it. :-\

TiE

Archived