Home

LOL. Tim Longo says "Revive" is a new feature! Ha!

JBRAA

LOL. Republic Commando director Tim Longo says in a video on the official site that "Revive" is a new feature in a squad game, and in any game what so ever! Ha!

Has he not see Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory. What a ****ing goofball. Is LucasArts its own part of the world where no looking outside is allowed? Ha ha ha ha. =)

after all, ET probably isn't as well-known or wide-spread as an officially released retail game. it was on it's way, but development stopped. maybe if it HAD gotten to store shelves and onto gamers' hard drives, a revive option in a game would be more familiar to people.

isn't wolfenstein enemy territory multiplayer only? because i think the revive he is talking about is in single player, where if you die and at least one squad member is alive they can come over to you to heal you instead of you loading a save.

also he does say probably, so its not like he is going out and saying they are the first to think of it. it is the first time i've heard of something like this though.

Originally posted by adillon

after all, ET probably isn't as well-known or wide-spread as an officially released retail game. it was on it's way, but development stopped. maybe if it HAD gotten to store shelves and onto gamers' hard drives, a revive option in a game would be more familiar to people.

Return to Castle Wolfenstein was released in 2001. And it was game of the year. In Multiplayer of RTCW you can Revive. So the feature is well-known I would say.

Originally posted by eastcoast2895

isn't wolfenstein enemy territory multiplayer only? because i think the revive he is talking about is in single player, where if you die and at least one squad member is alive they can come over to you to heal you instead of you loading a save.

also he does say probably, so its not like he is going out and saying they are the first to think of it. it is the first time i've heard of something like this though.

If you see the whole video and not just the first 30 seconds, you will understand he means in single-player, and as you said, not first time ever in any game what so ever.

You got a point, there is no single-player game what I know of that has the revive feature. But however, and this is my point: He didnt mention single-player in his first claim. He boldy claimed it was like totally new =) Anyway, who's perfect? =) A litte LEC bashing is good. =) The new site is very nice, and I hope the game will be awesome! =) I hope the "assault" multiplayer wont be dull. Plain "deathmatch, team deathmatch and capture the flag" is unplayable for me. After playing ET (Enemy Territory) I need objectives and stuff to enjoy MP. If it the "assault" from UT2004 then I guess it is allright and can have some real fun =)

I checked the website, and they dont mention "assault" in the multiplayer modes, but if you check the "SWRC_RepublicWeapons_640x480_qthigh.mov" video in the end you see what kind of MP modes the game feature, and assault is one of them.

assault_rc.jpg

you can tell when ppl are getting a little ichy in wanting to play a game when we are discussing whether a feature is new or not and the feature doesn't seem that ground breaking anyways.

oh and just to add, revive in mp is a well known i think. i know delta force black hawk down, joint operations, and i'm guessing america's army (has a medic class i think).

and to go in the new conversation of assualt mode. looking at the newer previews, at the least ign.com didn't get to test the multiplayer mode so that probably means nothing is permanent.

i hope there is an assualt mode, the single player campaign screams for an assualt mode in multiplayer. i think it would be cool for one side to be separatist who defend and the other be commandos. also there could be a commander who orders troops into positions or do things which would appear as a hologram for the player the commander told to do the action. oh well, i'll take the basics. at least they included capture the flag. hopefully the game will be moddable too.

I don't think he ever said it was 'totally new', but rather that the whole 'return and revive' mechanic in a non-MP squad game is unique, and from the whole squad control aspect, it does seem pretty unique.

And another thing to remember - who do you think that this is being pushed at? Who will account for 80%+ of the games' revenues? Just like KotOR, etc ... it isn't we PC players, but the XBox-ers, who have nothing like this, no RtCW to reference. So for the *overwhelming majority* of the target audience, it *is* pretty unique.

Mike

Originally posted by JBRAA

Return to Castle Wolfenstein was released in 2001. And it was game of the year. In Multiplayer of RTCW you can Revive. So the feature is well-known I would say.

sure, and ET is based on RTCW's multiplayer, but was planned to be released as a stand alone game. even though RTCW was GotY at one point, it doesn't necessarily mean many people played it. deus ex and SWAT3 both have GotY status, but i don't think they have world-wide popularity. the respective communities and fans of these games are much smaller than say those of the UT or quake series.

Originally posted by JBRAA

You got a point, there is no single-player game what I know of that has the revive feature. But however, and this is my point: He didnt mention single-player in his first claim. He boldy claimed it was like totally new =)

Does it really matter that much?

Originally posted by eastcoast2895

ibecause i think the revive he is talking about is in single player, where if you die and at least one squad member is alive they can come over to you to heal you instead of you loading a save.

I was thinking the exact same thing. I never heard of this in other games and thats what they're talkinbg about; i can name at least 20 games with a revive/resurrection feature. They wouldn't be that blind.

It's a very good feature because normally I just 'send my troops' and be the semi sniper in order to remain a bit safe. Now you can at least take risks,rush etc.

Pardon my ignorance, but how different is this "revive feature" from the usual FPS respawning we've seen in every game since Doom?

Is it unlimited in usage or is it more like the old game standby of having multiple, limited "lives"?

Game of the Year is a critical award, it is based on what magazines and/or online reviewers think of it, not how much sales or how many players it actually has, right?

More and more I'm getting the nagging feeling that this is going to be a console game, first and foremost, with porting to the PC as an afterthought, as SWBF was, and that really dampens my enthusiasm so far. ; P

Archived