Home

Wtf?! No, No, No!

Mike Windu

EA Nabs ESPN as 15-Year Exclusive

First the NFL, now the most recognized brand in sports media.

January 17, 2005 - With thundering force, Electronic Arts may have just swung the final punch to sports rival SEGA: the gaming giant just announced it has entered a 15-year exclusive licensing deal with ESPN.

Under the agreement, EA has exclusive video game rights to ESPN-branded print, telecast, and online content -- in addition to other ESPN media properties. The agreement covers all gaming platforms -- consoles, PC, handhelds, and wireless, and will begin in 2006, upon completion of ESPN's current licensing commitments.

The agreement most clearly affects Take Two and SEGA, which jointly publish a series of ESPN-licensed sports titles. The companies are still reeling from EA's announcement last month that it had acquired exclusive video game rights to NFL properties -- a direct challenge to SEGA's ESPN NFL franchise.

Obviously, the challenge is now doubled.

Electronic Arts explains the ESPN agreement as helping gamers: "This relationship was created to benefit consumers who are passionate about sports games," said EA CEO Larry Probst. "EA SPORTS recreates the real life experience fans enjoy while watching or playing their favorite sport; while ESPN programming captures the look, sound and excitement of the sports they follow. Together, we believe we can significantly grow the interactive sports category."

Until recently, EA's sports titles, such as the Madden NFL series, have faced vigorous competition from SEGA's ESPN Videogames brand, which saw success last year with a strong critical reception and prices cut in half.

We'll be back with more on the situation as soon as new details emerge.

-- David Adams

http://sports.ign.com/articles/580/580401p1.html

*shakes fist at EA*

Bastards, soon all sportswill be owned by EA. Is there no justice in the world of sports games? What the hell happened to friendly competition?

:mad:

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

EA needs to stop, it's not helping anyone by taking over everything and claiming it for themselves.

But as long as they come out with better and better sports games still, then I won't complain. But if they only come out with corbon copies of the games they already have then I say boycott EA Sports.

Madden 05 was a dissapointment because in maddens since 02 my bro and I have had our own full custom team. But now they took away an option to turn of some kinda salary cap so now theres not enough money to make a whole team.

Originally posted by IG-64

Madden 05 was a dissapointment because in maddens since 02 my bro and I have had our own full custom team. But now they took away an option to turn of some kinda salary cap so now theres not enough money to make a whole team.

You can still do that.....just turn off salary cap in the franchise mode screen.

Originally posted by kipperthefrog

I don't get it:confused:

Are you saying that EA bought copyright to sports games and now they don't get any competition in sports games? is THAT what they mean?

pretty much. Now unless someone makes college football games, and nothing with an ESPN title, EA will be unchallenged in sporting games. Basically having a monopoly on the genre, infact I think that's what they're going for.

Archived