Home

Sentinel-The Truth?

Okoru

I've been pulling over numerous guides on GameFAQ's tonight trying to plan which class, and later prestige class, I'm going with first time around. I have always ruled out Consular/Sith Lord/Jedi Master as its just too flawed for my style. Now I played KOTOR many times, always as a Guardian, so that was my first idea, but then I saw some of the stats on Sentinel and the same things in their prestige classes, Assasin has Averge on Feats AND Skills, and even more shocking, FAST on Powers, its like the perfect class......but, the specials it grants aren't great, and the feeling of not picking a set area(Lightsaber or Force Powers) to advance in is something I can't shake off.

Something that's really bugging me is from what I can tell, it really requires your character(Exile) to use skills, something the first game didn't at all, I just went with Treat Injury all the way. Aswell as the fact apparantly EVERY attribute is so important, for every class. My head is seriously close to exploding from it all.

The point of this thread though is, as a starting class, is Sentinel worth considering, as I've done my homework, I would have 1 feat less than Guardian at level 20, aswell as less Vitality. But much more skills and a few powers aswell I belive. Also the Sentinels special power, Immunity, is awesome,and will surely come in handy.......but then Guardians Jump(As a big LS fan) is awesome.

I really am at a dead end. :(

PS. An all important question, once you pick a Prestige class, do you gain only those benefits per level, or do you gain both your starting gains per level ASWELL as the prestige classes gains. If you follow me? :p

Once you pick your Prestige class you gain its benefits. However just as in K1 you still have the abilities of your base class, which means you still can add points to those abilities as well. I am not certain however on the feats... Like for instance a Guardian gets force jump 1, 2 and 3... lets say you attain 3 at level 20, but you prestige to a watchmen at 15... I cannot recall if you still get force jump 3 once your total level reachs 20 or not at all.

Guess that doesnt help you much :(

well its all about your style of course, I liked hacking and slashing with the sith maurader and the sentinal is a nice base class cuz in reality his speaciality is base line average,jack of all trades, not good at lightsabers or force powers but average at both.

Although his feats were of little use in KOTOR2

first there are hardly any enemy jedi in the game or dark jedi, hardly any enemies throw gernades and if they do they aint plasma, getting stunned is rarer then hell in kotor2

in the end its all opinion and what your style is, wanna cut people up with da "uber saber" then go guardian, wanna sizzle people to death with da "uber force powers" then go counsler, cant decide which one to pick or dont wanna be weak in one area and be strong in another but want balance, then go sentinal

sentinal is worth it. i played him he was slightly weaker than the guardian but had loads of skills. i maxed out persuade and computer use and still had points left over. then i suggest you go to sith marauder or jedi master just to up your combat

Originally posted by Smilodon

Since i havent read it in any FAQ: what about Jedi Watchman / Sith Assassin, is it worth playing with them and what benefits do they get when you choose them as prestige class?

Taken, unaltered, from Dan Simpsons FAQ over at GameFAQ's, check it out, its awesome, link at end of post.

Sith Assassin

8 Vitality / Level

3 skill points / level

Bonus Feats:

Weapon Focus: Lightsaber

Sneak Attack I

Greater Prestige Sense

Class Skills:

Awareness

Computer Use

Persuade

Security

Stealth

Treat Injury

Bonus Powers:

Force Camouflage - use Stealth without a Generator

There you have it!

Second, another quote from same guide, making me worry, as if he's right, I will have to go Sentinel for the Skill points:

Perhaps the single best way to get items and improve the items you find, is by creating the upgradeables yourself. This is wholly dependent on skills, and the game uses every skill for this except Persuade. This gives you a good reason to have skills for the Exile, but you don't need it(although I'd still take Repair, as noted above). With Bao-Dur/T3 giving you the tech skills, Atton for Stealth and Kreia for Treat Injury you have all the skills covered. Every time you come across a workbench, get in the habit of checking out what items you can upgrade at that time, then go through the list of createable items to see what's good.

http://dw.com.com/redir?asid=920194&astid=8&siteid=19&edid=107&destCat=34337&destURL=http%3A%2F%2Fdb.gamefaqs.com%2Fconsole%2Fxbox%2Ffile%2Fstar_wars_kotor_ii_a.txt

I would not reccomend being a Sentinel/Watchman. All Skills are handy, they are as stated above uneccessary with Bao-Dur around. My main grudge was that when you become a Watchman, you don't really feel any different to a Sentinel. Unlike with Weapon Master or Sith lord, you gain no new interesting powers.

Also, you have to many areas that Skill Points and Attribute Points need to be applied to. Your wisdom/charisma is very rarely high enough to do any useful effect on enemies. So if you are just going to be able to use Lightsaber, you should be guardian.

I also found that mixing fighting styles did not work very fluidly. It did not feel natural to be trying to cast force powers and do lightsabers. And Kreia is better a being a Consular than you. So you have no reason.

Originally posted by Whitebloodcell

I would not reccomend being a Sentinel/Watchman. All Skills are handy, they are as stated above uneccessary with Bao-Dur around. My main grudge was that when you become a Watchman, you don't really feel any different to a Sentinel. Unlike with Weapon Master or Sith lord, you gain no new interesting powers.

Also, you have to many areas that Skill Points and Attribute Points need to be applied to. Your wisdom/charisma is very rarely high enough to do any useful effect on enemies. So if you are just going to be able to use Lightsaber, you should be guardian.

I also found that mixing fighting styles did not work very fluidly. It did not feel natural to be trying to cast force powers and do lightsabers. And Kreia is better a being a Consular than you. So you have no reason.

yeah bao dur or t3 both have enough skills to get around. if you don't have alot of skills max out persaude as it is very useful

I think it's a mistake to go with Guardian instead of Sentinel as your start class. TSL doesn't use KotOR 1's BAB chart, and all three Jedi Classes use the same (+1 for every level). Guardians get shorted a bit at the beginning, because force jump is unsable for your first 10-15 hours of gameplay.

With Sentinel you get the same BAB, better defense bonuses, slightly less VP but more FP, and you only miss out on 1 feat through your first 15 levels.

And Skill is important, especially repair. When your breaking down items for components, it uses the PC's repair number, not whatever NPC your using at the workbench. So with no Repair skill, you'll be stuck with 1 component for every item you break down. And while it's random, I've never gotten enough components without breaking stuff down.

Originally posted by Frinklin

And Skill is important, especially repair. When your breaking down items for components, it uses the PC's repair number, not whatever NPC your using at the workbench. So with no Repair skill, you'll be stuck with 1 component for every item you break down. And while it's random, I've never gotten enough components without breaking stuff down.

This is not accurate information.

The skills of the character using the lab station or workbench is what is used to determine what they can and cannot create due to the level of said skills.

I have played through 5 times now and only once did I create my Character with Repair/Computer skill in mind. Each time I used Bao-Dur or T3 as my Workbench monkeys to breakdown and create all I required, and I always had atleast 10,000 components left over after crafting the top of the line upgrades for atleast 5 of my party members and myself.

Opinion: Guardian is the best choice for a starting class. You get 1 feat and 1 force power every level, and provided a minimal raise to intelligence at creation and you will have enough skill points per level to raise the important skills you need. Treatment, Security, Persuade.

Then I have a fairly important question, if I go Guardian(Which I probally will.) on the few occasions I can invest in skills, 1 per level, what should I go for? Drazin is near certain about repair not being important as you can get Bao-Dur/T3 to do it. That leaves Persuade(I'm getting Force Persuade as always anyway.) Treat Injury(Helped a LOT in KOTOR without force heal.) or Security(Could get Atton to excell in that I guess.)

Anything else?

Its good stuff guys, confussing, but good. :D Keep it coming! :)

Okoru

Treat injury does help you in the long run. A Life Support Pack healed me upwards to 200 VP once :D.

BUT, it's importance is dragged down(a lot) by Master Heal. But you could still use medpack via the Inventory menu if you don't wanna waste a turn casting it. The skill is also used for Lab Stations, but you should just allow a another party member to do that.

Persuade is an important skill as well(only the PC can use it anyways). Depending on how diplomatic you want to be, you may or may not find this skill necessary.

Security...just leave it to another party member. But remember, there'll be some places where your entire party won't be very good at it, such as the Korriban Sith Academy. So you'll want to remember to bring someone along who is. Of course, you can bash open the locked containers, but you'll break an item...but they aren't great anyways.

Except Vogga's storeroom...there's a lightsaber/lightsaber part in the locked container that you'll break if you bash it open...

The Korriban Sith Academy also has that one with the Thorium Charge...you don't wanna bash that...:tsk:

Other than that, bash away! :saberb:

Soooo...you're gonna ba a Guardian, eh? You don't need Security, so that's out. So it comes down Treat Injury and Persuade.

I'd choose Persuade, because you do all the talking anyways. Then aim for Treat Injury if you have more points to spare(if you have 14 INT).

These are the reasons to have a good computer and/or repair skill...

1: new dialogue options

2: make your own items

3: used more often than in KOTOR1

4: upgrades to T3

5: use other two char slots for better fighters

6: sometimes nobody will be around to do it for you

7: makes the mining colony level way easier

At least that's the way that I see it. Also, sentinels are good and all, but a guardian is every bit as viable. As far as guardian skills, well, I would probably go with demolitions myself as it is used so often and using med packs is pointless once you get heal (even at the end of the game). At low levels I'd put some into awarness so that I could spot mines (and there are many more in this game). But that i just my opinion.

-EDIT- Changed consular to guardian. doh!

Dont forget, you can use one of your feats per level to purchase security and/or repair for 1 point per train.

I just now finished my Sentinel/Watchmen and at lvl 35 I had 33 computer, demolitions, repair, treat injury and security and 27 in persuade and awareness. I'd have to recheck to be certain but I am pretty sure I had 18 strength, 14 dex, 18 con, 16 intel, 16 wisdom and 16 charisma. Pretty evened out stats which I figured would be what most new Watchmen would go for.

It took me 3 rounds to beat Sion instead of 1 with my Weaponmaster, but Even Sion didn't bring me below half health throughout the battle.

So my conclusion is that despite what Classes you will be just fine in the end. Consular/Sith Lord was however the most challenging early on and I was forced to miss out on a couple side quest missions that required me to fight hand to hand.

Bottomline, pick what you want, it doesnt matter. And trust me, you will play it again and again anyway.

I liked the Sentinel.... :p

It all depends really. Like Frinklin said, Force Jump is useless for about 12 hours of game play, approximately 1/3-1/4 of the game. If you do pick a Weaponmaster/Marauder, I would still recommend Sentinel as a starting class, so you get SOME skills, and the immunity to various effects you receive is useful as a melee fighter as well. Although I found the Watchman to kick @$$ as well, it just requires some thought put into it.

And as for Attributes, are they really important for ALL classes? What exaclty do Wisdom and Charisma do for a droid? Maybe I missed something. Also, something that's helped me out, getting Finesse: Lightsaber and putting all your STR points into DEX is pretty helpful, there's almost no difference in your damage, if any, your to-hit with sabers and guns is high, and you get higher defense. (Dexterity rocks)

Just my opinion.

Archived