Home

Dead London

Leper Messiah

as you may know im a keen War Of The Worlds fan and im currently reading Rebel Stand, in which several of the characters have journeyed to Vong-Occupied Coruscant and I was rather pleased with the way Aaron Allston, the author of the book appears to have tipped his hat quite considerably to H.G Wells. Allston's Coruscant bears much relation to Wells' Dead London, what with the Vong plant that is consuming everything, much like the Red Weed in WOTW. The underground hideout the characters are in at the point im at in the book seems like a definate nod to me to the scene in Wells' book where the artillaryman outlines to the narrator his plan for humanities survival by building underground settlements. The bodies on Coruscant also bear similarity to Wells' description of those killed in London by the Black Smoke (a bioweapon) of the Martians. It's a terrific literary nod I think, Star Wars was one of the few sci fis I couldnt see much Wells influence in, I was pleased to see a little bit get in here.

Originally posted by Astrotoy7

interesting. I read someone saying the same thing at TFN.... I havent read WOTW myself, Im just waiting for the spielberg movie to come out, coz that'll be just liek reading the book right?

JK :p

mtfbwya

Dont even joke about such things :p i went to the cinema last night to see Team America and a bunch of people were talking about a WOTW poster on the wall, one of them was intellectual enough to say "Isn't there a book of that?" and one of his companions shrugged and said "Dunno, but it looks like a cool movie", ignorant little....... people like that are why Speilberg will get away with this

ANYWAY this is an EU forum and ill continue on topic now. Ive read a bit further to where dear old Senator Shesh encounters the cannibals, perhaps adapted from the dogs in WOTW London that went around eating anything in sight. So thats another possible connection.

Originally posted by Astrotoy7

interesting. I read someone saying the same thing at TFN.... I havent read WOTW myself, Im just waiting for the spielberg movie to come out, coz that'll be just liek reading the book right?

JK :p

mtfbwya

I've read it, and the current 50's movie takes lots of artistic liscense, as will the upcoming Spielberg adaptation. Oddly enough though, their's a "by the book" version coming out within a few months of this year's flick, by an independent company. Basically, this will be the first time a screen version of WOTW has been set in the proper time period (1890's england, as opposed to the USA in the 20th or 21st century).

PS: The Jeff Wayne album of WOTW is pretty cool. Takes some liberties with the story (far less so than the Orson Welles broadcast of the 1930's), but it's quite an experience.

Originally posted by Kurgan

I've read it, and the current 50's movie takes lots of artistic liscense, as will the upcoming Spielberg adaptation. Oddly enough though, their's a "by the book" version coming out within a few months of this year's flick, by an independent company. Basically, this will be the first time a screen version of WOTW has been set in the proper time period (1890's england, as opposed to the USA in the 20th or 21st century).

PS: The Jeff Wayne album of WOTW is pretty cool. Takes some liberties with the story (far less so than the Orson Welles broadcast of the 1930's), but it's quite an experience.

yes but unfortunately the promotion team for the "by the book" version (by Pendragon Pictures) appears to be, well, me. Check any post by me on WOTW in the swamp for reasons Speilberg is an abomination, Cruise is an imbecile (who hasnt read the book) and Pendragon are the last fading hope for WOTW. anyway thats all beside the point of this here thread :D

Astro have you a link to where this was brought up on the other place you mentioned?

Archived