Home

The Secrets of Monkey Island

ThunderPeel2001

Well, maybe not "secrets" as such, but I liked that title :)

I'm trying --not sure why-- to compile a list of the different versions of Monkey Island and their differences. Here's what I have so far...

MONKEY ISLAND 1.0 (EGA/16 Colours) (Sept/18/90)

- Metallic, animated LucasFilm Games logo at the beginning

- First time Guybrush enters the dock it is sunset. When he returns it is the more familiar night scene, but lacking a moon.

- Why Guybrush looks at the statue by the door of the Voodoo Shop he says "Looks kind of like an emaciated Charles Atlas".

- Stump joke is included

- Stan's Used Shipyard does NOT have music.

- The Hook Isle sign is animated.

MONKEY ISLAND 1.0 (VGA/256 Colours) (Dec/03/90)

- Granite, animated LucasFilm Games logo

- NO sunset at the dock. Just usual night scene WITH moon.

- Charles Atlas joke is included.

- Stump joke is there.

- No Stan music (yay!)

- Hook Isle sign is animated.

MONKEY ISLAND 1.2 (AMIGA) (??/??/90)

- Wooden LucasFilm Games logo (not animated)

- Charles Atlas joke is included.

- Stump joke is there.

- No Stan music (yay!)

- Hook Isle sign is *barely* animated.

+ Without a 1MB upgrade all foreground objects are missing (floating cloud under title, chandelier in the Governer's mansion etc).

MONKEY ISLAND 2.3b (VGA/256 Colours/CD Version) (Sept/06/96)

- Granite, animated LucasFilm Games logo

- Charles Atlas joke is CUT!

- Stump joke REMOVED.

- Stan music is included (boo!)

- Hook Isle sign is animated.

- BUG: When Guybrush looks at the Clock on Melee Island, he can cycle through his lines in one go (in all other versions he must leave the screen and come back to make another comment on it "always" being 10 O'Clock).

- NEW: Monkey Island 2 style interface added, with pictures for all of the inventory items (instead of text).

That's it!

There are obviously technical differences: Better music and sound effects on the Amiga version etc. Slightly better graphics and interface on the (later) PC version.

Any more observations would be appreciated! Does anyone have any different version numbers for MI? (CTRL-V in game)

In MI1 PC CD there are a few lines, in random places, cut from the dialogue. I have no idea why.

MI1 Sega CD

- Backgrounds from the Amiga version (including LucasFilm logo), slightly re-tinted.

- Character sprites from the PC CD version.

- Interface is the MI2 version, but with gray verbs instead of purple, and in a bigger, "chunkier" font.

MI1 FM Towns CD (256 colors)

- In English and Japanese

- MI2 interface, but in 16 colors (including inventory items)

- Hunk of meat and sword have different designs in inventory pictures

MI1 Mac (256 colors)

- On floppies or CD

- Mac specialized audio tracks, no CD music

- Otherwise exactly like the PC CD version, except for:

- The Mac version of MI1 has high-res graphic smoothing very similar to what ScummVM does

Also, the Mac version had an interface like this picture in preview shots, but was replaced by the MI2 interface in the final release.

mimacpic.jpg

I'll do MI2 while I'm at it, shall I?

MI2 PC Floppy (256 Colors)

- Copy protection and choice of difficulty at start

- No fish over woodsmith's door

MI2 Amiga (32 Colors)

- Copy protection and choice of difficulty at start

- Fish mounted over woodsmith's door in Woodtick

- Probably the same as MI1 Amiga about lacking all parallax-scrolling foreground objects without a 1MB upgrade

MI2 PC CD (256 colors)

- Both copy protection and difficulty selections omitted from beginning

- I think a few lines were cut from dialogue here as well; unlike with MI1 CD, though, they're still in the resources and are shown in ScummVM

MI2 Demo (256 colors)

Check out this excellent Scumm Bar article for most of the info on the demo (playable via ScummVM).

There are two points it leaves out though:

- When talking to the Bloody Lip bartender Guybrush may also say "I'm the bravest little pirate in the world" to start the conversation about his heroics.

- The inventory arrows are bright pink instead of purple.

Also, the really early versions of MI2 had twelve green verbs (like the MI1 disk versions) but inventory icons.

Check out a few screenshots here (or visit The Scumm Bar).

Lol!

Wow!!! Really impressive stuff there, ATM! You should compile a complete list with your encyclopaedic knowledge! A webpage showing all the differences to all Scumm games would be very cool!

Also, I could be wrong, but I think the little cut-to of Stan falling into the ocean at the end of MI1 didn't appear in the non-1MB Amiga version.

---------

As for MI2, there's quite a few differences from the Amiga version: Governer Phatt being surrounded by flies etc. Tons of extra music and background animations. None of that ever showed up on the Amiga version, even with 2MB! :) Aside from the music, the PC version was far superior.

Wow, interesting inventory images on the text interface version of mi2. How many changes is there with the inventory in the different versions?

I guess it's Largo's boogies, the voodoo doll WITH pins in it (never seen that before) and some sort of stones? And the rat is upside down...

And now I remember seing some strange inventory items in the mi2demo. 'Voodoo stuff' I think was one of them. Found it with a picture viewer and picked it up with the pick up object <number> function in scummvm...

• 3 weeks later...

I'll add a couple things before this thread gets too old.

The MI CD version used EGA sprites for at least one of the ghosts at the end of the game. While the MI VGA floppy version used the correct VGA sprites. Just another one of the CD/Floppy inconsistencies.

This next thing probably isn't totally on topic, but I don't remember seeing this anywhere, so I'll go ahead and post it.

I was snooping around the Mi2demo files awhile back using ScummRev 5 and found what appears to be a temporary mi2 logo (or at least, the bitmask of a temporary mi2 logo).

Here's a pic:

http://members.aol.com/nrsher/images/Mi2demo-titlemask.png

To find it, open the file mi2demo.001. Expand the second LFLF block. Expand the ROOM block. Select the RMIM block and then click "View ZPlane" (in the Informer window).

My apologies if this was already public knowledge.

I wonder what legalities we would run into if we made a patch for the MI2 demo that let you play the whole game with some of the demo variations, then we would be able to see what OTHER stuff there was, kinda like a "fill in blank spot here" patch. Just so it could be played through.... Just a thought...

Archived