Home

How to install mods?

Darth333

For the USM and Team Gizka fixes, you don't have to worry: the USM mod also includes bug fixes. Just install the Team gizka fixes and then the USM on top of it. When asked to replace existing Team Gizka files, just say yes (make sure you install the files dierectly in the override folder or it won't work).

As for the Paragorn D20 mod, I've never tried it but I imagine it contains .2da files. If the mod uses the same .2da files as the USM mod, you will have to merge them. I don't remember what Sikon's mod does exactly. Is it the mod that spawns a Master Vash alive? Could you post a link please? I don't know what kind of files the mod includes apart dialogues and scripts.

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply
A fellow MAC user, good to see ya' :D

Yeah, same process.. drag-n-drop.. that is unless the mod uses the TSLPatcher which has an .exe executable...

I'd make a Mac version of the Patcher if I could, but unfortunately I know nothing about Macintosh-programming. The last time I used a Mac for any significant length of time was when I retired my old PowerMac 6100/60 and bought a PC, about 8 years ago. I'd imagine pretty much nothing is the same since MacOS X arrived. :)

If you use a mac and run into a mod that comes with TSLPatcher for installation you'd have to merge it manually with whatever tools are available for 2DA and GFF editing. You can read what changes the Patcher would apply by opening the changes.ini file with a text editor, and then apply those changes by hand.

I don't remember what Sikon's mod does exactly. Is it the mod that spawns a Master Vash alive? Could you post a link please? I don't know what kind of files the mod includes apart dialogues and scripts.

If GX51 is talking about the Vash1.2 mod where she is alive and kicking then it has a "global.jrl" file. I was going to install the mod myself but Couldnt be bothered spending all the time searching for the differences to that file to include in my current one.

Hey Darth,

Thanks for the quick reply, (and sorry about the slow response!) I've figured out how to get most of the other mods working exept for Slikon' mod Slikon's mod is a mod that's supposed to activate some cut dialog and sound files to allow you to speak to Master Vash in the very first part of Korriban, (But not for very long) Anyway the conflict is with Slikon's mod and one of team gizga's bug fixes, as they use the same global.jrl file If you could tell me how to resolve this, I'd be glad of the help.

Anyway the conflict is with Slikon's mod and one of team gizga's bug fixes, as they use the same global.jrl file If you could tell me how to resolve this, I'd be glad of the help.

You'll have to open the global.jrl files with a GFF Editor. Find and expand the "Categories" list node in the treeview, then check which of the files has the most new entries in that list above list index number 116 (which is the last of the standard nodes, anything higher than that are added by a modder).

Then copy each of the Modded entries from the global.jrl with the least new entries to the other one (to save you some work). Make sure you update the Struct Type for the pasted nodes to match the list index number. That should be enough, unless both mods have added new journal entries that use the same tag.

You can decompress the .zip files with winzip and the rar files with winrar. Note that winrar can also decompress .zip files. You can get winrar for free here: http://www.rarlab.com/rar/wrar330.exe

Extract the files to your Override folder.

Darth 333, I commend your patience.

I too am having trouble installing WinRar. After downloading it from the site, http://www.win-rar.com/download.html, I find no file with a .exe extention in the unzipped package.

I know this matters: I use a Mac, and have made a point of downloading the Mac version of course. Yet none of the text files included with the file have installation instructions. Perhaps you can help, or at least point me in the right direction.

My hope is to be able to install the "Yavin 4th" mod, http://www.pcgamemods.com/mod/10127.html. However, as a .rar file when I "download" it only an html page opens with a bunch of code. So, I learned I need WinRar, but I can't manage to install it.

Much thanks in advance

If a bunch of code appears when you left click the link, it's due to your browser settings. You can either change your settings or right click the link and select "save as" instead. It should work.

For Mac users, the equivalent of right clicking is to select a file, then hold down the control key. I have not found that this is possible when it comes to download buttons, such as those on the pcgamemods site. In that case, when the button is clicked, a new html window (Safri/Explorer) opens with only code.

So, perhaps the browser setting option is best. What should those settings be?

If a bunch of code appears when you left click the link, it's due to your browser settings. You can either change your settings or right click the link and select "save as" instead. It should work.

Thank you Darth333. Your direction helped.

I have found with Safari that, very oddly, one needs to right click (cmd click) on the browser page that opens after the download button for a .rar file has been clicked on the pcgamemods site.

Forgive my verbosity, but this was an interesting discovery for me. As I learn more, I'll probably look back on this shamefully.

In any case, if another Mac user has trouble with a .rar download, this post might help. This is what happened. I clicked the link (download button) on the pcgamemods site, and the new browser window with all that code opened. Frustrated, I clicked the back button and found the download button now read "downloading." Hmm, that's weird, I thought; well what if the browser page is the download in the case of .rar's. So, in mere futile experimentation I command-clicked the browser page. As usually occurs when I do this, the system asked me if I'd like to download the page. Why not, I figured, the least that will happen is I'll have a Safari page to place in the trash. However, insterad of a Safari page, I found a .rar package on my desktop. This was then decompressed hitchlessly with macPAR deluxe (thanks for the suggestion, DECKWRECK).

Well, that didn't hurt too much.

Is there any way to categorise multiple files at once. I'm thinking in Kotor I override folder, to label the different files for different mods. The only way I can do it atm is to categorise each file, one at a time, =/ , flippin' long.

• 2 weeks later...

Just a clarification: the global.jrl file in the Vash mod was based on the one from Team Gizka's fix (I presume you're talking about the one which expands the Sleheyron fuel quest), so there's no need to merge anything. If global.jrl conflicts with another mod, I think you can just use their version. The journal will be screwed in the time between entering the Sith Academy and finding Vash, though.

• 1 month later...

Sorry about the stupid question!

I may download some mods use the TSL patcher (eg:AVol_Char_BastilaShan_v2.0/sthlforcep2...),but everytime i double click the "exe" file which is extracted in its original folder without touch anything,a dialogue show text"richedit line insertion error" while i press the "start patching" or "install mod" button,do i need something else to install ? or there are other problems?

Sorry about the stupid question!

I may download some mods use the TSL patcher (eg:AVol_Char_BastilaShan_v2.0/sthlforcep2...),but everytime i double click the "exe" file which is extracted in its original folder without touch anything,a dialogue show text"richedit line insertion error" while i press the "start patching" or "install mod" button,do i need something else to install ? or there are other problems?

This may help :)

http://www.lucasforums.com/showpost.php?p=1837055&postcount=65

This is just a link to a particular post in stoffe's main TSL Patcher Thread, but I think it'll cover everything you'll need to get it to work for you ;)

excuse me but another problem remains:some mods show

error"Specified file was a 2DA file but not in binary format. That format is unhandled at this time. Unable to load. (2DA-1)"

when installation is processing ,could someone help me out?

Hmm.. haven't seen that error :confused:

Can you list those particular mods, or are there way too many to list? The modder may have created their .2da file in excel and forgot to re-convert back to binary.

KotOR Tool has 2 different extraction methods for .2da files.. one of course is an excel version which won't work directly in your game's override...

If you can list the mods, that could help.. but if you're willing to experiment:

1) Backup the original mod (in case this doesn't work) ;)

2) Extract a standard .2da file (appearance, baseitems, etc. that the mod is using) using KotOR Tool

3) Replace the mod's existing .2da with the one you just extracted

4) Run the installer to see if it will work

If the modder used the TSL Patcher correctly.. their mod should only be including a non-modified .2da anyways.. so overwriting it shouldn't cause problems...

Thank you for your help,but i still can't get your point about

"Extract a standard .2da file (appearance, baseitems, etc. that the mod is using) using KotOR Tool",what tool and how to extract?

so i lis the names of those mods : CSArena3 ,AVol_Char_BastilaShan_v2.0

My bad :o

You'll need KotOR Tool. With this tool, you can extract game files for modding purposes. In your case, you'd want to extract that appropriate .2da file that the mods you are trying to install use...

I would right away think that it's not a problem with CSArena since that is stoffe's mod and well, she made the program to begin with ;) hehehe..

Avol's I wouldn't think either to be honest since most of his mods are quite popular around here and I haven't seen this problem reported before.. but again, you never know when dealing with computers...

The only thing I can think of is since you're listing a 2da-1 extension, is that somehow the file was copied and pasted in the same folder where such a file existed already (Windows tends to place a -1 to anything it copies with the same name).. it shouldn't have been placed on the actual extension name, but again, computers are funny like that...

Double-check to see if that's the case. If so, kill the -1 portion so that only the .2da exists...

excuse me but another problem remains:some mods show

error"Specified file was a 2DA file but not in binary format. That format is unhandled at this time. Unable to load. (2DA-1)"

when installation is processing ,could someone help me out?

That error is usually shown when a 2DA file found in the override folder, that the mod installer needs to modify, is in the 2DA V2.0 (whitespace separated plain text) instead of the 2DA V2.b (indexed binary) format.

What's the name of the 2DA file that the mod installer complains about? Find this file in your override folder and open it with notepad (don't save or modify the files with notepad). If the first text inside the file is 2DA V2.0 rather than 2DA V2.b, this is your problem. The mod installer does not handle the 2DA V2.0 format currently.

The 2DA V2.0 format was used for the game Neverwinter Nights, while 2DA V2.b is used for the KotOR series. The KotOR game engine still supports the old format, though it's much slower and more inefficient to use.

I would recommend that you move the offending 2DA file out from your override folder before installing the mod, and then, using KotorTool, add the modifications from the old file into the new file that will be placed there. It's some work initially, but will make it easier in the long run.

If you don't know how to do this, and don't have the inclination to learn, I can make a fix for you if you can figure out which mod it was that placed the old 2DA V2.0 format file in your override folder. The text format files are usually more than twice as large as the binary format ones so it shouldn't be hard to spot if you compare file sizes. :)

The only thing I can think of is since you're listing a 2da-1 extension, is that somehow the file was copied and pasted in the same folder where such a file existed already

The 2DA-1 part is just an error message to help track down where problems occur. It means that it was the 2DA handling class that threw the exception, and it was the first such exception (from an incremented index) the class can throw. If the file was named improperly the mod installer wouldn't have found it at all and instead put a new copy of it in the override folder. :)

Such detailed direction! I'll check it right now,these guides will help me a lot!

I must admit that it's not a very comfortable experience when you want to find some useful and detailed information in foreign forums with the basical known words ,even you want to make it an excercise or other reasons.

And now both your direction may show me the path clearly to give me more time to really enjoy the classical games,thank you very much!

And please forgive my poor english expression!

I'm trying to use some mods for the first time, but am having a bit of trouble. One of thing problems I am having is several of the mods share the same .tga file. I've browsed extensively through the pages of the various forums looking for a way to circumvent the problem but can't seem to find any (Unless I totally missed it). I thought maybe I could change the file names, but that seems too simple and likely to screw something else up.

Is there any way to solve the problem?

• 5 weeks later...

Alright, I'm having trouble with TSL mods, there are three wierd things in the Override folder saying they're MDL files. I can't read them, but they are called fx_step_splash.MDL, v_damage_tat.MDL, and w_rockpoisn.MDL... are these screwing up my mods, because I've never gotten a mod to work.

Alright, I'm having trouble with TSL mods, there are three wierd things in the Override folder saying they're MDL files. I can't read them, but they are called fx_step_splash.MDL, v_damage_tat.MDL, and w_rockpoisn.MDL... are these screwing up my mods, because I've never gotten a mod to work.

I *think* those are from the TSL Patch.. but don't "quote" me on that :xp:

However, they shouldn't have anything to do with mods not working.. :confused:

What exactly isn't working? Are you getting error messages, conflicts or something we can base our responses off of? Which mod(s)? etc. etc. :)

Archived