Home

How to install mods?

Darth333

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm trying to install Combat Simulation Arena for SWKotOR2:TSL version 3 and everything goes fine until...

• Modifying file "appearance.2da" found in Override folder...

• Error: Specified file was a 2DA file but not in binary format. That format is unhandled at this time. Unable to load. (2DA-1)

i can install mods but this is way beyond me, can anyone help?

• 1 month later...
Hi guys,

im totaly new to all this mod stuff and ive being tryin for some time to get a mod for kotor2 to work. i downloaded winzip but im not quite sure how to compress the files. could someone tell me how? cheers

In general, if a filename ends with .zip you can use WinZip to extract it.

For .rar or .7z you'll need different programs in order to extract. I'd suggest WinRar or 7-zip since either of them can open standard .zip files as well as the whole gamut of other compressions. That should take care of any errors you "might" get in the future with trying to open the file in the first place..

For the actual extracting of the mod.. it should be as simple as double-clicking said .zip, .rar or .7z file. A new window should pop up showing the contents of the compressed file. By either using the "extract" feature OR (what I do) simply drag-n-drop the contents of the file to a location on your system. I prefer the desktop just for simplicity and it's easy to find.

You'll want to work from the files/folder you extracted/dragged rather than working inside the archive itself ;)

In any case, It's very important to read the modder's readme file :nod:

We can't stress this enough...

While many standard mods you'll just be dropping the files into your game's override folder.. many of us use the TSL Patcher which is a whole new ball-game.. hehehe. You'll know if it's a patcher version if you see an .exe file and a folder called tslpatchdata. DON'T just drop these files into your override.. bad things will happen. Instructions should be documented in the modder's readme file.. hence the importance of this little priceless gem of a document :devsmoke:

For Compressing, most of the programs include a shell command. Just right-click on any blank area on your desktop and there should be a function you can click to "create new archive" (or something of that nature). Click that function and you'll get a generic named file which you can rename appropriately.

To add files to the archive. Double-click it. Now you can use either the 'add files' function or (again, like me) just drag-n-drop the files/folders you wish to add to your archive into the archive's main window. A context menu will generally pop-up asking you for compression rates, blah blah. Simply clicking OK will compress at standard settings...

If you are still unclear about extracting/compressing, just let us know and we can try to explain it in a different way :)

i used winzip to "extract" the files into the override folder but nothing happens in the game:firemad:I've made sure only files are in the override folder and i read the "read me" which just states that i should "unzip" the the mod files into the override folder.

Im wondering if my override folder is in the correct place. Its surrounded by the folders/files "Documents," "Web Links," "Star Wars KOTOR 2 TSL," and "Update" and "Uninstall Star Wars KOTOR2 TSL" Is this right?

The mod was "NewFemPC_2.6" from pcgamemods.com incase you guys need to know

OMG OMG OMG!!!!!!!! IT WORKS!!!!

IT....IS....AAALLLIIIVVVEEE :laughing: !!!!!

not quite sure how though. Is KOTOR2 supposed to already have an Override folder because i found one under mycomputer/programfile/lucasarts/SWkotOR2/override

it already had three programmes in it.

thanks for the help :thumbsup:

• 4 weeks later...

Dear great modders,

Please bear with me for this newbie question as I just started on KotOR1 recently. It's the same problem regarding mods not being able to work...

I'm currently (and I've saved a game) on Dantooine, just shortly after returning the stowaway to the Twi'lek. And I recently downloaded Cate Kroft's "silver crystal", "new color crystals" and "all compatible" mods. After following Cate's instructions to the dot, I still couldn't get it working.

Cate had written down that the various crystals could be obtained via the Dantooine merchant and on Nemo's body. But when I loaded up my saved game (as mentioned above), I don't see anything at all.

Am I missing something here? Do I have to 'enable cheats' in order to get mods to work? Any help and advice is greatly appreciated! Many thanks and I look forward to your replies!

Best regards,

Dave

I could be wrong about that as it's been a while since I played with Merchant's inventories but I believe the inventory is loaded the first time you enter the module, meaning that you would have to load a savegame from prior entering that module for the first time.

Perhaps someone could confirm this info.

I could be wrong about that as it's been a while since I played with Merchant's inventories but I believe the inventory is loaded the first time you enter the module, meaning that you would have to load a savegame from prior entering that module for the first time.

Perhaps someone could confirm this info.

That's how I recall it works as well. ;)

Dear Darth333 and RedHawke,

Oh dear. Does this mean in order for me to work Cate's mods I got to have a savegame whereby I JUST arrived at Dantooine and haven't yet gone on trial to become a Jedi?

Sorry about the question, but I don't quite understand the meaning when you say 'module'.

I'm now interpretating it as a savegame (be it whether I finished Dantooine, or as in my case I've completed it) OUTSIDE the merchant's shop or OUTSIDE the Dantooine Starmap cave (whereby Nemo's body is found). If my above interpretation is correct, then that is what I've been doing all along but to no avail when I approached the merchant or Nemo's body.

Unless you guys are telling me that I must NOT complete Dantooine, as in my very first concern, in order for the mods to work.

Best regards,

Dave

By "module loading" they mean the very first time the merchant spawns. So for example, if you were adjusting the inventory for the "crazy rodian" on Dantooine, you would need a savegame before the very first time you exited the Jedi Enclave..

For Nemo's corpse, you would need a savegame before the very first time you entered the ruins... etc. etc. :)

Once a merhant/npc/etc. spawns for the first time, everything is set. Unfortunately there isn't a 'cell reset' (such as Oblivion) so it can get tricky with placeables in KotOR / TSL..

How to install mods?

[*]Winrar: While winrar can unpack .zip as well as .rar files, it does not recognize the .7z format. Winrar allows you to do the following:

pack/unpack : RAR and ZIP files

unpacking only: CAB, ISO, ARJ, LZH, TAR, GZ, BZ2, ACE, UUE, JAR (java archive), Z

I just thought you'd like to know that WinRAR now supports the .7z format. Also, in addition to supporting the GZ and BZ2 formats, it also supports TAR.GZ and TAR.BZ2.

Unfortunately there isn't a 'cell reset' (such as Oblivion) so it can get tricky with placeables in KotOR / TSL..

There is a way to "reset" the module and get the crystals showing up in the merchant's inventory but it will mess up some variables (and could eventually screw up things completely).

Try this at your own risks and keep a savegame from before trying this method in case you get stuck later on as many variables will be reset and you could be unable to finish some quests:

Open Windows-Explorer and Kotor. Right before entering the module where the merchant is, switch to the Windows-Explorer (Alt-Tab) and go to your Kotor directory. You should see a folder called "gameinprogress". Inside this folder should be a file for the module where the merchant is located (you need the name of that module - unfortunately I don't remember it but it's likely danmblabla.sav ) Erase it. Then go back to your game and talk to the merchant. If you did everything right, the crystals should be there.

You can also get the same results by editing your savegame using an erf/gff editor but it's a bit more complex.

I just thought you'd like to know that WinRAR now supports the .7z format. Also, in addition to supporting the GZ and BZ2 formats, it also supports TAR.GZ and TAR.BZ2.
Thanks for mentioning this. I guess it's time for me to update my winrar version :D

• 2 weeks later...
Uninstall: Just delete the files. Some mods come with an automatic installer and maybe removed via the Add/remove programs function in Windows.

1) If the readme mentions nothing about how to uninstall, is there no pitfall in deleting every file in the Override folder?

2) Is there any special instruction about mods installed using tslpatcher?

Finished TSL for second time so now attempting to play with mods installed, but in the first run after installing, I've encountered an "unbeatable" problem which causes the Sith Assassins aboard the Harbinger to trigger a game crash whenever the character controlled by the player targets them with anything (projectiles including grenades, melee weapons, Force powers, etc.). At first, I thought it was because they were simply invisible under all circumstances (one sees the attack icon set "floating" after one approaches the first "trigger" door, but no figure appears) and very deadly (they use poison and struck 11 out of 15 times sufficiently well to instantly kill my ~40 vitality Consular), but even after re-equipping my party and using every buffing Force power, it only served to lengthen the inevitable slaughter of my trio....

Anyway, I'm going to attempt to uninstall all of the mods then reinstall one at a time again (I don't have the CDs to uninstall then reinstall the game or I'd skip the mod uninstall procedure)....

Thanks in advance for confirming.

• 4 months later...

Hi, im new and have tried some mods after completeing the game 3 times, i have tried some mods and one works but the other 2 don't, can you help me?

The one that worked is Mekel recrutment.

The ones that failed is Mask++ and revan items by chainz.

Thanks.

To everyone, I have had to delete some 'off-topic' posts, this thread is about how to install mods, not troubleshooting them, please post in the respective mods release thread in our Taris Upper City Emporium forum about any issues you may have, if the mod doesn't have a release thread in our Taris Upper City Emporium forum then please create a thread about it in Holowan labs, but not here thanks. -RH

• 1 month later...

I do not know if this is in the right place but I am having trouble downloading Exar Kun's Tomb mod and Project Yavin 4 mod. I am not having a problem of them not working together, I am just not able to get either one of them to work. If you do not have the mods just go to PcGameMods and go to the Kotor section and type yavin for Project Yavin 4 and exar for Exar Kun' Tomb.

When you are unzipping those mods, note that there are folders named "Override" and "Modules" inside of them -- be sure to put the files from Override folder into your Override folder and the files from Modules folder into your Modules folder.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

i downloaded mods for kotor for the pc but how do i use them?

i have winrar setup and stuff but i dont know how to get the mods onto the game

i know go to extract to and then select overdrive but i dont have that

so i just extraced them to the actual game. is that ok?

or do i have to have an overdrive file

if so how do i get one?

i downloaded mods for kotor for the pc but how do i use them?

i have winrar setup and stuff but i dont know how to get the mods onto the game

i know go to extract to and then select overdrive but i dont have that

so i just extraced them to the actual game. is that ok?

or do i have to have an overdrive file

if so how do i get one?

You want an "override" folder (not 'overdrive'). Make sure the spelling is correct ;)

If the folder does not exist, you can create one. The game will recognize it :)

• 5 months later...

Archived