Home

How to install mods?

Darth333

Alright so I just bought this game for PC (I'm a console gamer mostly) and I found all of these beautiful mods that I'd absolutely love to include in both my KoTOR and TSL games. Unfortunately, I don't know anything about modding and despite following the instructions (I think) in the TSL Patcher Readme I'm apparently failing at life. Can anyone give me a "put file A here, then type text B here and save it as X file here" kind of instructions? I'm shooting for the kind of instructions that you could give to a trained monkey. Pretty please?

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If a mod uses the TSL patcher, it's just a case of running the .exe that's included in the mod download. You don't need at to actually download the TSL patcher separately unless you're a modded MAKING an installer for a mod.

With the drag and drop style of mod install, the mods readme should tell you what goes where.

Right. Well I'm trying to download the Brotherhood of Shadow expansion for the original KoTOR and it has an .exe installer but when I run the .exe it says I'm missing a changes.ini file and a tslpatchdata folder. What are these things and how do I find/create/acquire them?

The changes.ini file is inside the tslpatchdata folder which was included in the Brotherhood of Shadow download.

Just extract the contents of the zipped file you downloaded to your desktop or something and then then run the installer. Don't move the .exe and the tslpatchdata folder to seperate locations, always keep them together.

Thanks! I think I was making what I would assume to be a really noob mistake and trying to run the installer while still in WinZip with the separated individual files. I feel about as intelligent as a spicer hyped up on adrenal stims and a gallon of Juma juice... ~_~

• 1 month later...
  • 10 months later...

Trying to install "Brotherhood of Shadow: Solomon's Revenge" for KOTOR 1. It keeps saying

"WARNING! Cannot locate the INI file "Changes.ini" with work instructions!" even though the file is there in the patch data.

Then directly after that, it says "Unable to load the instructions text! Make sure the "tslpatchdata" folder containing the "info.rtf" file is located in the same folder as this application" even though it already is.

What the hell is going on? How do I extract this stuff??

Trying to install "Brotherhood of Shadow: Solomon's Revenge" for KOTOR 1. It keeps saying

"WARNING! Cannot locate the INI file "Changes.ini" with work instructions!" even though the file is there in the patch data.

Then directly after that, it says "Unable to load the instructions text! Make sure the "tslpatchdata" folder containing the "info.rtf" file is located in the same folder as this application" even though it already is.

What the hell is going on? How do I extract this stuff??

Okay. Make sure the file is in the tslpatchdata folder, and named exactly changes.ini, assuming you have the extensions visible.

Didn't work? Then read on.

How about you try this.

I'm writing the help this way, because the message you are experiencing only happens if the file isn't there.

• 1 year later...

I have some mods from red hawk and am unshure how to install I am trying to use carth as a Jedi but im running into he file and it has another file that says source script or something like that any way my que is do I put these files into my override or what do I do with them theres no directions on the read me its the first time I have done a losse file mod

• 1 year later...

Hi,

I'm very confused, I'm trying to install the 'Dark Jedi robe' mod that I found on Kotor nexus: http://www.nexusmods.com/kotor/mods/660/?

The readme doesn't tell me where to place the files. So I presume they go into the Override folder which I did, but the mods aren't working in game. I do use Steam version of Kotor 1 so I'm wondering if that has anything to do with them not working. I've asked for assistance on the Kotor nexus page, but nobody is replying.

Any tips?

Hi,

I'm very confused, I'm trying to install the 'Dark Jedi robe' mod that I found on Kotor nexus: http://www.nexusmods.com/kotor/mods/660/?

The readme doesn't tell me where to place the files. So I presume they go into the Override folder which I did, but the mods aren't working in game. I do use Steam version of Kotor 1 so I'm wondering if that has anything to do with them not working. I've asked for assistance on the Kotor nexus page, but nobody is replying.

Any tips?

Checking that mod's files, the files do indeed just go into the override folder. For KotOR 1, the fact that you have the Steam version does not matter.

Given the type of mod it is, the changes will only take effect if you acquire the items new.

For example, if you already had one of the robes before you installed the mod, you woudn't see a difference with that robe equipped. If you were to get rid of that robe and re-acquire a new one, then the changes should be there.

Archived