Home

It's ALIVE! It's ALIVE! (Real FFA rises from the dead)

Amidala from Chop Shop

Some of the regulars on my CTF server are really pure\real\true "Free For All" (deathmatch) players who took refuge in full-weapon full-Force Capture The Flag (CTF) as the last place where they could play the game with 100% of its features enabled, free of the abusive\chatting\silliness\tedium\oppresiveness of JA+ modded, "no laming", "obeying-rules-is-more-important-than-playing-the-game", 80% of the game's features disabled, so-called "FFA" but really chatting and dueling servers that infest this game.

While they enjoy the speed, strategy, and teamwork of full-weapon, full-Force CTF, many of them still longed for the chaos, mayhem, and one-against-all individualism of true, pure, real Free For All deathmatching.

In part to satisfy their desires, and in part to raise a defiant middle finger aimed at the amslapping\ampunishing\amslaying\amsleeping JA+ mod-worshipping, can't-play-the-game-unless-80%-of-it-is-disabled "honor" nerds, I have started hosting "FFA night" on my CTF server. We had the first scheduled one last night and had a good turnout:

shot0051.jpg

If there are players who have never played real FFA in Jedi Academy and whose only experience of "FFA" in Jedi Academy is standing\sitting\lying around and chatting while watching no-Force saber dueling on a 80% of the weapons and Force powers disabled JA+ mod "honor" server, and who don't understand what I mean by "real" FFA, download this demo

http://www.chopshopservers.com/files/demos/ffa/050126/050126_ffa3_short.zip

Make a "demos" folder in your GameData\base folder (GameData\base\demos). Unzip the downloaded file and put the 050126_ffa3_short.dm_26 file you get in the "demos" folder you made. Start the mutiplayer game. Open the console and enter /cg_thirdperson 1. Then select "Play" and "Play Demo", then select the demo from the list and watch it.

That is what this game looks like when it is played with 100% of its features enabled and free of silly made-up ridiculous "no laming" rules.

There are more demos from last night available here for the nostalgic http://www.chopshopservers.com/files/demos/ffa/050126/

I plan on making FFA Night a weekly event on my CTF server (67.15.23.242) on Thursday nights beginning around 8 PM EST. The first Thursday FFA Night will be next week. We are using just the 5 standard maps and the JA Bonus maps at first, but we might also do some custom maps in the future. Everyone is invited.

There are only two rules, as stated on the loading screen and MOTD:

"Defeat your opponents to score points" and

"All kills are legal, killtrackers silent or off"

YES! One more server, this makes 11 playable FFA servers!!!

Hmm... tantalus and ghostdog are familiar names to me... maybe I have played them before.

While I may continue to map for Jedi Academy, Im starting to go back to JK2...

"Originally posted by luke in another thread"

In other new, I was able get into an insane Saber Only FFA in JK2!

I joined a server with honor players, and started attacking. I played dumb when they started preaching about laming. Then, eventually some other guy joined, and we just started tearing each other up all over the map. I guess before long they saw it was fun, and everyone joined in the scrap. It was awesome, 7-10 people on those FFA_Bespin bridges swing sabers as if there lives depended on it (well.. it did) and it was great. Remindes me of my old JK2 days back in '02.

I only wanted to see what was happening JK2... and it seems maybe they are changing. Sure, they were mad at first when threw my saber at there floating tower of jedi, but.... after a while they cooled down, and attacked me back, but not out of revenge, out of a want to play the game, properly. If only you could reason with all the servers like that. BTW, this was yesterday, on a Jedi Academy mod server.

Nice work Amidala. Now I don't want to sound like a snob or anything (*sniff, just bitter for lack of finance for a rental server*), but how many players can you fit into each of the basic FFA maps?

I think we should get a definitive list.

I know that "BIG GAMES" are cool and all, but it seems like you have a tendancy (again, not to judge, you can run your show how you want) to overload your maps a bit.

For example I remember joining your CTF server last year and I was telefragged at least a dozen times since there were so many people wandering around and dying. That's just not fun...

How does one determine the number of players each map was intended for? I think you can view them in Radient to view the number of spawn points...

Anyway, just a thought. It may not be possible, but I think it's better to have two servers that have a smaller number of people, than one server with too many people in it.

If there's anything wrong with Chop Shop, it's that (and it's not much, those servers of your's tend to be great for their dearth of "rules" and other nonesense and you are always willing to share your knowledge & experience with the community to try to improve things and I appreciate it).

So, criticism aside (constructive I hope), great job and keep up the good fight!

Well, when you announce "FFA Night", you never know how many people will show up. The numbers decrease as the evening goes on as people have to go eat, go to bed, etc.

There really wasn't a problem with too many people in my opinion. Download and watch the demos and reach your own conclusions

http://www.chopshopservers.com/files/demos/ffa/050126/

It was, as they say, a "target rich environment" ;)

Next one is Feb. 3. I might have do the same for a few hours on a weekend to accomodate Euros and Aussies who can't do the weeknight event.

Kurgen, I have been playing at chopshop for almost a full year now, and I have not encountered a problem of telefragging yet.

You must have joined when ami was tampereing with her server configurations. Ami has done that alot, which i don't mind, the server has to be perfect, and it looks like its good now.

If I had the money, Ami, I'd buy a server, and ask permission to name it ChopShop FFA, so you wouldn't have to worry about FFA times :D .

If you are willing to do it, you COULD have an FFA server, but im sure you have your reasons that I haven't evaulated yet.

By the way Ami, im afriad to ask, but I will anyway.

This sounds like a stupid question, but are you a female or a male in real life? I don't care which one you are, but sometimes im afriad to say "she owns some good servers" (because my assumption from your skin and your name is that you are a female, and I say female instead of girl or woman because I have no idea of your age, which isn't my buisness) , and im afriad someone will embarass me and say "ami's not a girl!" or the other way around.

Please end my embarssment!

Originally posted by Knight

This sounds like a stupid question, but are you a female or a male in real life? I don't care which one you are, but sometimes im afriad to say "she owns some good servers" (because my assumption from your skin and your name is that you are a female, and I say female instead of girl or woman because I have no idea of your age, which isn't my buisness) , and im afriad someone will embarass me and say "ami's not a girl!" or the other way around.

OMG STALKER

She's a she.

If I have time I will play on your JKA servers with FFA. But my 56k lags on there more than others for some reason.... probably because there are so many players.

I think you can view them in Radient to view the number of spawn points...

You can, but Raven has only released 1 or 2 original MP Map files (Hoth Siege and that Korriban FFA level... oh yeah, and the coruscant CTF... I think) Ok so thats 3.

While you can decompile the map the data is normally innacurate... and/or messed up. (yeah its possible, and no, its not illegal as long as you don't steal from it... or something, you can only use it for personal use)

I would say there are probably around of 5 spawn points in a normal sized Raven FFA level.

Originally posted by lukeskywalker1

If I have time I will play on your JKA servers with FFA. But my 56k lags on there more than others for some reason.... probably because there are so many players.

You can, but Raven has only released 1 or 2 original MP Map files (Hoth Siege and that Korriban FFA level... oh yeah, and the coruscant CTF... I think) Ok so thats 3.

While you can decompile the map the data is normally innacurate... and/or messed up. (yeah its possible, and no, its not illegal as long as you don't steal from it... or something, you can only use it for personal use)

I would say there are probably around of 5 spawn points in a normal sized Raven FFA level.

uh every map (with the possible exception of duel maps have FAR more than 5 spawns.

I'm away from my computer until tomorrow, so can anyone with the ability please look up and post the Number of spawns for each basic JA map?

I'm not concerned about the duel maps, but a list for FFA, CTF and SIEGE.

It would be very helpful info for admins like myself...

Thanks!

That's too bad. Oh well, thanks for trying.

If anyone wants to compare "real FFA" ("real players" playing the game as it was designed to be played, "defeating their opponents to score points" with 100% of the game's weapons and Force powers enabled, and 0 made-up, added-on "no laming" rules) with so-called "FFA" on a typical "no laming" server (people standing around, chatting, "Scoring points? What's that?", and shooting grappling hooks into each other's crotches) please download this file http://www.chopshopservers.com/files/demos/FFA1_demos.zip

To see the grappling hooks, you need to have the JA+ Mod client plug-in installed. Make a "demos" folder in your "japlus" folder (GameData\japlus\demos), unzip the ZIP file, and put the demo files in the "demos" folder in the "japlus" folder.

If you don't have the JA+ client plug-in installed, make a folder called "demos" in your base folder (GameData\base\demos), unzip the ZIP file, and put the two demo files in the "demos" folder in your "base" folder.

Start the game (or if using the JA+ client, start the game with JA+ Mod running, or go to a JA+ server, join, then exit back to the main menu), select Play, then Play Demo. You will see a list of the demos. Select "real_FFA" or "so_called_FFA", Play Demo, watch it, then select the other and watch it too.

Both demos were recorded on the same map (mp/ffa1) within days of each other. Watch them and I think then you will understand what I tried to explain with so many words earlier ;)

PS- If you wonder why some of us think JA+ mod has ruined the game and turned it into a joke, compare the "real_FFA" demo with players playing the basejka game that Raven made for LucasArts, using the wonderful weapons, Force powers, and features like wallclimbing, to the "so_called_FFA" demo on a JA+ server, where people stand around begging to be "amprotected", fly around with jetpacks, and shoot grappling hooks into each other's crotches. It's sad to see how JA+ Mod enables such nonsense, not to mention the ridiculous "amabuse" commands (amslap, amsleep, amslay, ampunish, etc.) used to punish "real players" (also known as "lamers"). It's pretty sad what that "mod" has "added" to this game :rolleyes:

• 3 weeks later...

Here are some I know of

^4No^7Honor-Guns^4FFA|125ms|basejka|66.98.131.133:29070

BLISTERHOUSE^9 Lamerama !!|125ms|basejka|68.61.68.249:29070

^6CORNER STORE|268ms|basejk|203.87.32.133:29070

also, my ForceMod III server is true FFA:

^1Forcemod ^7III ^4PATCH REQUIRED!|54ms|ForceMod III v1.01|67.15.23.243:29070

You need to install ForceMod III and its 1.01 patch, but it's worth it.

Archived