Home

Man Dies Imitating Gollum!!

CaptainRAVE

A friend of Brighton, UK resident Julian Brooker recently told an inquest that the man died because he was was imitating Gollum from Lord of the Rings. Brooker went to the London Road station at 4am on Oct. 23, 2004 to play "The Gollum Game."

Eva Natasha recalls, “He touched a rail and pretended to be electrocuted. I didn’t find it funny, but assumed he knew what he was doing. Then he touched the live rail once. He wouldn’t have touched it if he had known it was live.”

The rail that Brooker touched had 750 volts of electricity. His friends called 999 but he was already dead on the scene when help arrived. The coroner says Brooker was obsessed with the number 23 and drank on the 23rd of every month.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,2-2005041560,00.html

Originally posted by CapNColostomy

What does this have to do with Gollum exactley? Is there an EE I've not seen where Gollum electricutes himself on "rails"? Weird stuff anyway.

You gotta click the link and read the whole article.

But in the end this chap is just an other fool deserving a Darwin Award...

Fantasic story, read it yesterday at work! :thumbsup:

He wouldn’t have touched it if he had known it was live.

What the hell did he think it was for, decoration? :xp:

At the end of the platforms in the UK*, there are signs saying "Danger, Live Rail", "Warning, stay off the line, £1000 fine" etc. I guess it's confusing to a mutated halfling who's spent years living in a cave coveting a ring and then spent a night on the lash in Brighton...

Got a mate who works for the Rail Police at Faversham, now he's got a few nasty stories about live rail incidents! ;)

The coroner says Brooker was obsessed with the number 23 and drank on the 23rd of every month.

...I guess I must be obsessed with the numbers 1-31 then...

B.

* The ones with live rails, obviously; not all the lines have them

Originally posted by ET Warrior

Yes, because that 1/10000 of a second it takes to move your thumb from 9 to 1 is imperative :dozey:

And then there's that risk of having an item pressed against the 9, calling 999.

OHe risked death and got it, and wasn't even funny. Poor guy.

Originally posted by •-BLaCKouT-•

Yup, which is why I thought mobiles have a keylock. Until I found out that 999 actually overrides the keylock. :indif: Cheers Nokia.

:xp: B.

My old sagem phone used to have 12 to overide the lock aswell. I never quite worked out why. Wouldnt be much use in an emergency!

Archived