Home

SpongeBob is NOT gay!

CaptainRAVE

Stephen Hillenburg, 43, creator of the hit cartoon SpongeBob SquarePants, has gone on record to say that SpongeBob is definitely not gay. His comments were made to Reuters at the Asian premier of the movie based on the characters.

The controversy over the sexuality of the cartoon character came after a scene in which SpongeBob held hands with a pink lobster. Far right wing Christian groups have warned that such behavior is clear proof of SpongeBob’s gay lifestyle.

Hillenburg responded to the accusations by pointing out that SpongeBob is nothing more than an animated sea creature and sexuality has nothing to do with the show aimed at children. He further commented that if anything SpongeBob was asexual.

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=797&ncid=763&e=10&u=/eo/20050128/en_tv_eo/15804

"He further commented that if anything SpongeBob was asexual" - I love that bit....referring to the fact that sponges are asexual!!!

And anyway, So what if he was? He's a fricken cartoon and he's not going to be having sex with another cartoon. Those who are outraged against 'him' need lives.

There have been so much 'outing' of childrens characters lately. These idiots need to get a life and re-read the parts of the Bible about judging others.

Children don't have a concept of sexuality anyway. They certainly do not see two friends holding hands as conclusive proof that there is some gay sex going on.

Heck if we took all gay influence out of the media, we'd have no decent TV, music or movies anyway.

If they weren't busy demonizing and judging what else would they have to do with their time?

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by CaptainRAVE

If they weren't busy demonizing and judging what else would they have to do with their time?

Helping society by STFU.

Seriously.

They should have banned RoTK for the kiss Frodo gave to Sam on his forehead, because Sméagol refers to Déagol as his love and that Gollum refers to himself as his love.

Hell, they should ban any movie where two humans of the same sex touch each other or look at each other in an odd fashion.

A couple of reactions I've had to these (and similar) stories:

1. What ever happened to just turning off the TV if a program comes on that you don't like or don't want your kids to see? If you disapprove of a program or a message on that program, why does that have to mean that my kids can't see it either, even though I may not have a problem with it? Are you going to do all my parenting for me from now on? How 'bout all my thinking too?

2. Am I the only one who finds it ironc that Christian groups keep going after these messages of tolerance of others? Because we all know that tolerance of others is NOT a Christian value. :rolleyes:

3. It's a big, wide, wild world out there, folks... and sheltering your kids from the reality that there are as many different lifestyles and viewpoints as there are people on Earth isn't going to help them at all later on. Culture shock can be a rude awaking. Get them used to it now... they'll thank you later.

4. This peroccupation about the sexuality and private habits of others is not healthy. I'm sure Freud would have something to say about the folks who seem to see homosexuality everywhere and in everyone. Kinda let's you know what they are thinking about all the time, doesn't it? ;)

In defense of Christians, not all of us are crazy. It's a cartoon. A CARTOON. C-A-R-T-O-O-N.

Let's look at some ACTUAL gay cartoons, shall we?

1. Bugs bunny. Always dressing up as a woman and kissing Elmer Fudd.

2. Velma off of Scooby-Doo. Ellen Degeneres the first woman to come out on tv? I think not.

3. Popeye. Olive Oil was a dude.

4. Fred Flinstone and Barny. Always looking for a "gay ol' time" and would rather spend time together than with their wives.

And people say Sponge Bob is gay?

Ok, the top part of this was a joke, but let me get serious here.

I have gay friends. I don't even think about them being gay. To me, they are just as much people as you and I. Jesus died for them too, just as much as he did for me. I don't care if you're gay or not, I'm not going to rain fire and brimstone upon you. I could care less. Now, when I preach and use scripture, I won't leave anything out. I'll tell it like it is. If a homosexual is listening and gets offended, I dont' care. If a homosexual fells convicted, then ok. It doesn't matter. All I know is that Jesus ate with sinners, and heck, even died for 'um.

Even though I was hit on by one of my gay friends once, and it was kind of odd.

(Sorry if this was too serious for the Swamp. I've been out a while)

2. Am I the only one who finds it ironc that Christian groups keep going after these messages of tolerance of others? Because we all know that tolerance of others is NOT a Christian value.

Give me a break. :rolleyes:

All I got to say is... well, I'll let Jesus do the talking:

Matthew Chapter 22:37-40

NCV BIBLE

Jesus answered, " ' Love the Lord your God with all your heart, all your soul, and all your mind.' This is the first and most important command. And the second command is like the first: ' Love your neighbor as you love yourself.' All the law and the writings of the prophets depend on these two commands."

You see, without love for others the whole system would callapse around itself. Im not saying every "christian" loves, but every true follower of Christ should love. Without tolerance, there is no love. If it wasn't for Christ's love, he never would have died for us!

[luke's opinion]

I don't like spongebob, never have, never will. Ive seen a total of maybe 3 episodes my whole life, and truthfully, its not my thing. Thats my own opinion, of course, it has nothing to do with the above news article. ;)

Originally posted by lukeskywalker1

Give me a break. :rolleyes:

OK, I will. :D

Luke: My comment was meant to be sarcastic,.. you do realize that, right?

For the record, I do consider myself a Christian, although not a currently practicing one. (In other words: I haven't been to church in a long time.)

I am also a Liberal.

I know those 2 don't seem to go together much in this country in this day and age, but to me they are a perfect fit. I can't imagine being the first, without becoming the second.

Originally posted by lukeskywalker1

Ah well... my mistake. :o

No problemo!

I just didn't want to leave you with the wrong idea about me. I can see where my post might leave that impression.

We seem to have the same idea on the matter. It's nice that you clarified my point with scripture backup though! Thanks. :) I appreciate it.

Has anyone here against the hugging of guys never hugged their best friend of the same gender?

My best friend, I've known and have been friends with for about 11 years now, and that'd be damn near impossible not to hug the guy through all the things in life 11 years can put ya through.

Doesn't mean I'm gay.

of my guy friends I have hugged almost all of them, held hands with a few just because we felt silly, kissed many on the cheeks, kissed a few on the lips, and spooned with whichever ones want to.

I don't consider myself gay atall, I'm just comfortable expressing my love for my friends.

Archived