Home

Windows XP Home edition help!

CaptainRAVE

Heres the problem:

I installed windows Xp Home edition onto my new pc (not the one im posting this from). I activated it with the product code, and it said windows had been activated.

Everytime I went into windows it said that it needed to be activated, however, when i did go to activate it, a box came up confirming windows had already been activated.

So, this was getting a bit annoying, so I used a crack to stop this box comming up (silly I know).

So now, 30 days on windows is saying it needs to be activated (again), however, when I click either yes or no nothing happens. I go to log in and it just keeps comming up saying it needs to be activated. Help! im in a bit of a loop here!!

If needs be I could re-install windows. But im not sure how to do this anyway!

is the computer custom?(you buy your own parts:case, HDD, etc.) or did you buy it from someone(Future Shop, Best Buy, Circuit City, direct from the place(Dell, ALienware))? usually if you buy itfrom a store, windows comes preinstalled.

if your using a windows serial number that is already in use, it won't work on another computer.

as far as that, I duon't know.

I dunno how far you got, but I think when your compuer is first loading, if you press one of the F keys like F1, you get to a bunch of options, and installing and OS is one of them..... I think..... might wanna wait for someone who actualyl knows what they are talking about. :)

Originally posted by ZBomber

I dunno how far you got, but I think when your compuer is first loading, if you press one of the F keys like F1, you get to a bunch of options, and installing and OS is one of them..... I think..... might wanna wait for someone who actualyl knows what they are talking about. :)

Something tells me you haven't had to reinstall Windows for a while :p

lucky little bastard...

Anyway, if you hit F8, it does give you a ton of options, but they're only boot options (that's what you would hit to access Safe Mode). You have to hit F8 in the boot sequence almost immediately after hitting the Power button, directly after the Caps, Num, and Scroll lock flash.

jon, don't you have to format first? I mean, wouldn't installing Windows ontop of the old one cause problems?

hmmm...custom pcs and XP..... a treacherous mix ! There are any number of things that are causing that ! Contact MS.... you seem really keen to try a reinstall, if you dont have any data to lose, go for it. If not, contact MS....also, check their online knowledge base, there are often the answers for what you need there :D

mtfbwya

Originally posted by acdcfanbill

i have to say, i've had far less trouble with windows xp and custom pc's than i have with windows xp and pre-built pc's...

all depends on what you have Bill, especially since MS decided to complicate things with their OCL lists for XP. My Toshiba Laptop has a dorky but shiny 'designed for XP' sticker on it, luckily I havent had probs on it, but theres no way im installing sp2, i cant see that I need that extra junk that I dont use :(

mtfbwya

Archived