Home

Assualt on Precinct 13

Crazy_dog no.3

I got back from seeying this a couple hours ago. Anyone else seen it?

Well it's no classic like the Godfather or Star Wars, but it is a cool way to spend a couple of hours.

Action scenes were not awesome, but they were good enough to keep you entertained.

Acting was good all-round. Ethan Hawke was fun, John Leguizamo was OTT (in a good way), that Sopranos chick Drea de Matteo was hot and Lawrence Fishburne practically had "COOL" tattooed on his forehead. And I wasn't as bothered by Ja Rule as I thought I would be.

I'm glad they chose not to take the PC/PG-13 route. Plenty of profanity, gory headshots, brutal beatings, etc. Interesting killings include, but not limited to: an icicle through the eye (like in Die Hard 2), being set on fire with two Molotov cocktails and stabbing multiple times with a sword (funny as hell).

Like I said, not a classic, but good enough to keep you entertained.

By the way, for anyone else who has seen it...

How the hell did they end up in the forest at the end

I was a bit underwhelmed by the original, considering it's cult status. I hear this one isn't particularly, better or worse than the original, just different.

I'll probably go and give it a try... though i'm not keen on the change of having the police as the bad guys, or the fact they escape the station... but we'll see...

I'm a big JC fan as well, which is why i was a little disappointed when i finally got to see it. I thought it started well, but failed to really build the tension as much as it could have.

Maybe i'll go and watch the new one at the weekend...

Originally posted by acdcfanbill

hrm, i thought the original was superb. but i guess i am a huge john carpenter fan so i may be slightly biased... i have no real want to see the remake tho.

*high fives you*

The original is a classic. I saw the trailer for the new one...and it's certainly different. Don't know if I want to see the full movie at this point.

I have to say I wasn't really impressed by the original. It's not that I'm one of those guys who only likes a movie becuase of good sfx and I can't appreciate low-budget stuff, it's just that...well there are 4 main reasons:

-Bizarre script (I didn't get the whole Napoleon thing)

- Enemies acting stupidly (they just charge the police station, wtf?)

- You would think there would be a lot more gunfire involved in assualting a police station.

-

Why the hell did they shoot the little girl. I know stuff like that happens in real life, but they should have had at least some reason for killing her. She could have annoyed them or something

Well, I'll give the original something though: It put Carpenter on the Hollywood map were he would go on to make such classics as The Thing (great movie!!!)

I'll aslo give him credit for writing, directing, editing and scoring the movie at same time. The only other guy I know who does this is Robert Rodriguez.

EDIT: I never said I was more interested in SFX than a good script. In fact I said I wasn't one of those guys.

Don't get me wrong though, I didn't think AOP13 was bad, I just found it very overrated.

I haven't seen the original cause my parents won't let me. Probably because of the spoiler thing mentioned above. But I did manage to sneak in to see the new one. It makes for an awesome action movie, and in the part where

a helicopter arrives

everyone's jaw dropped.

Good, cool action movie with humor mixed in. Also, it's got the guy from the usual suspects who was awesome in this.

Originally posted by Crazy_dog no.3

EDIT: I never said I was more interested in SFX than a good script. In fact I said I wasn't one of those guys.

Don't get me wrong though, I didn't think AOP13 was bad, I just found it very overrated.

well i see that NOW! lol, i must have misread it the first time.

Originally posted by Crazy_dog no.3

Why the hell did they shoot the little girl. I know stuff like that happens in real life, but they should have had at least some reason for killing her. She could have annoyed them or something

I actually quite liked that bit, the fact it all started off from a random act of sensless violence, rather than having to have a complicated intro setup like the remake has. Made it seem more brutal and more realistic.

I also prefered the setting of the original (sweltering gheto vs snow drift).

But then the rest of it never quite lived up to my expectations... thought it should have had a bit more of a mad max feel to it, or a bit more of the pacing of black hawk down.

---------

Saw the remake at the weekend and it was "not bad".

I thought ethan hawk was excellent, and the other acting was fine too. Though Gabriel Byrne was underused in his usual "cool bad guy" persona.

It isn't really an action film, which is a nice change of pace, and doesn't have any bullet-time or obvious cgi gun battles. It is all quite slow paced in places and underplayed, which works quite well.

I only really had three problems with it.

1)

a helicopter arrives

This was daft. It made no sense. The weather should have stopped it. How could they blame their actions on gang members after bringing that in? ANd after the way they had talked about it in hushed tones i expected something impressive like an armoured vehicle (die hard style) or rocket launchers. ;-)

2) The "twist" ending.

who the traitor was

was blatantly obvious from about 20 minutes in.

3) Once they left the precinct and ended up in the wood the whole thing lost a lot of it's tension.

But it was a perfectly ok timewasting film.

Archived