Home

Compulsions

ET Warrior

The other day I was chatting with my lady friend, and the conversation turned to compulsions, and upon further analysis, I seem to be a pretty compulsive guy....

Firstly, my keys. Keys on my keyrings must all have the flat edge facing hte same way, and they must be organized in order from largest to smallest. My car key gets it's own ring because it doesn't have a flat edge.

When I knock on doors I count how many times I knock and if it isn't an odd number I knock once more.

When I walk on tile flooring I always try to walk in a specific pattern, usually only stepping on tiles that ar diagonals of each other, or if there are patterns in the tiles I try to stay on like colored tiles.

I count stairs when I walk up and down them, but I never commit the number to memory.

Oddly enough though, this compulsiveness has not bled over into cleanliness. My room is an absolute mess and I don't even care.

There might be more that I do have, I'll post more if I think of em.

So any of you swampies have strange compulsions?

Originally posted by ET Warrior

The other day I was chatting with my lady friend, and the conversation turned to compulsions, and upon further analysis, I seem to be a pretty compulsive guy....

Firstly, my keys. Keys on my keyrings must all have the flat edge facing hte same way, and they must be organized in order from largest to smallest. My car key gets it's own ring because it doesn't have a flat edge.

When I knock on doors I count how many times I knock and if it isn't an odd number I knock once more.

When I walk on tile flooring I always try to walk in a specific pattern, usually only stepping on tiles that ar diagonals of each other, or if there are patterns in the tiles I try to stay on like colored tiles.

I count stairs when I walk up and down them, but I never commit the number to memory.

Oddly enough though, this compulsiveness has not bled over into cleanliness. My room is an absolute mess and I don't even care.

There might be more that I do have, I'll post more if I think of em.

So any of you swampies have strange compulsions?

You bet i have um!

If my cd player skips i hit it

If i pass a door over seven feet tall i jump to touch the top

When going up stair i use one foot instead of switching between the two

If i get a cup of coffee with no straw i go and get one and if there are no straws then i pour out my coffee.

When talking to my friends on the phone i use my right hand and parents/their friends i use the left hand.

Thats i. Wierd and disturbing i say.

when i hang my clothes up in my closet, the shirts all face to the left....something the army gave me a habit of doing.

I always buckle my seatbelt no matter what, even if i'm in the back, and even if it's just to move the car a few feet...

I always take the left seat when riding in the back, dunno why...

I am that way too. Keys and pen go it the right pocket and phone, gum, chapstick in the left. I always freak out and think I lost something when it is put in the wrong pocket.

Also when I am walking on the sidewalk, so many times do I catch myself counting how many steps I take in each section.

I also hang my clothes the same way. Shirts facing the same direction and also with pants.

o_O

The only thing I can think of is that I must have my computer working in perfect order (which is bugging me lately since it's not). No broken programs hanging around, clear desktop with icons in a straight line, folders and files in all the right places, no crashing, etc.

I also do the tile/floor thing, I do it everywhere, even in parking lots with the yellow lines. I also do the sidewalk counting thing.

I also do the key thing, even though I have no keys, I find myself doing it with someone else's keys. Also, if I lock a door, I go back and check if I really locked it, that's actually saved me a couple of times. When i'm in the bathroom, or going to sleep, I have to have some noise, I hate silence. In the bathroom I always turn on that fan thing that unfogs the mirror. And when i'm going to bed I leave the door open, also to let in light, I hate the dark. When I drink a soda, I usually break the tab off so I can tell the diffrence between my can and others, but when I do I have a habit of breaking the tab in half for no reason, and sometimes break the half of the tab in half. I'm also a bit of a perfectionist. I can't wait to not have to wear my retainer all the time anymore, because I constantly am moving it around, snapping it in and out with my tounge, and flipping it around in my mouth, I just can't help myself.

edit: I also find myself playing air guitar when I listen to music, and I have to have my desktop clear of any and all icons.

Oh yeah, and that reminds me, i'm also an edit button maniac, my posts usually have to be perfect. Also, if I come back to the thread from editing and someone's posted since I started editing, I get a sinking feeling, excpecially if it's quoted me.

I'm also a pacer, I find myself pacing all the time when i'm thinking about something.

I'm also very forgetfull, I forget simple tasks like taking out the garbage or remembering a phonecall, I also forget where I set things down constantly.

Haha, my dog's compulsive too, she always howls for no reason, and when she gets a toy with a squeaker she sits there and bites it till it dies. Sometimes it drives me nuts when she's going it cause its like *squeek* *squeek* *squeek* *squeek* *squeek* *squeek* *squeek* *squeek* *squeek* ect. ect.

Originally posted by IG-64

I can't wait to not have to wear my retainer all the time anymore, because I constantly am moving it around, snapping it in and out with my tounge, and flipping it around in my mouth, I just can't help myself.

I know what that's like, I did that when I had one, I also couldn't wear my class ring because I would ALWAYS be spinning it on my finger, taking it on an off, so on so forth, eventually it would rub my finger almost raw :\

I noticed something new today...You know how on plastic bottles they'll stamp the drink by date, but half of it is on the lid and half is on the plastic circle that stays on the bottle....well when I put the lid back on I always twist it so that the printing lines up.

my skeleton keys face the same way and are arranged from largest to smallest...and i do use them.

when passing a door i try to walk between the frame...like i make imaginary lines that cross infront of me and i avoid walking on them.

i must have two watches...digital on the left wrist and a regular face watch on the right.

chapstick must always be in my right pocket and never to mix with pens/pencils...pens/pencils go in the left...nothing in the back pockets.

i cannot live without my hat(s)... as most of you could tell by Groovster's Floppy Hat Day thread.

and im not a neat freak, until it comes to the computer screen, tv screen, my glasses, or the digital camera....i cannot stand grease prints on them.

EDIT- i also count ceiling tiles as i walk or floor tiles...i hardly ever look straight ahead. Either up or down

Oh yeah, and that reminds me, i'm also an edit button maniac, my posts usually have to be perfect. Also, if I come back to the thread from editing and someone's posted since I started editing, I get a sinking feeling, excpecially if it's quoted me.

Last edited by IG-64 on 02-04-2005 at 05:24 PM

:D

Anyway, I have that trait as well, but I can't think of any other compulsions.

I always walk on the "correct" tiles, but only if the tiles are different colors.

If you touch my saxaphone I freak out

Right pocket must have calculator, pencils, deck of cards, sticky notes. Left pocket must have pens, glasses, pencil sharpener, water bottle.

That's all I've go tfor now

When i'm in the bathroom, or going to sleep, I have to have some noise, I hate silence.

Same for me, just for the sleeping bit, tho. I use a miniature fan blowing right in my face every night for the last 5 years, keeps me cool and its really noisey.

Oops :p

I noticed something new today...You know how on plastic bottles they'll stamp the drink by date, but half of it is on the lid and half is on the plastic circle that stays on the bottle....well when I put the lid back on I always twist it so that the printing lines up.

Buh, I do that when Im bored, like sitting in the car.

The only pocket thing I do is to keep my wallet in my back right pocket, and I don't really like things in my front pockets cause the bother me to much.

TiE

Haha, I do that too. :p

I also pop my joints alot. I dunno why but they feel better when I do.

Originally posted by ZBomber

You think THAT'S weird? I can push my fingers backwards at an angle of about 95 degress.... I do it for fun....

95 degrees? That's it? That's like.. normal...

I would say if it was like 170 degrees or soemthing...

Ok

Heres your fingers at a side view

|

Most people can move them back to a 45 degree angle.

/

Mine is DOUBLE THAT. :p

_

I'll try to get pics, I think you are misunderstanding me. :\

edit - Yeh, this is without touching them, so not pushign them back with my other hand

Archived