Home

When's Grim Fandango set?

Sanspoof

What time frame is GF actually set? I notice the cars are mostly those old Hustler type things (Except for the Bonewagon of course), but that might be because nobody's died who knows how to produce anything better. Also, it must be after Lenin died because he's mentioned by Manny in the Blue Casket. So is it around the nineties parallel to our world or is it something further back?

I've been thinking about this for a while, and I figured that time must be faster in the land of the dead than the land of the living. Think about the number of people that die every minute, that's alot of dead people, the DOD would never cope with that quantity of clients.

And when you go get Bruno, none of the people are really moving, they're all stock still.

So i don't think that there is a set era that the game takes place in, because time there is different anyhows.

Also - the DOD has computers.

And also - I think too much about stupid things and try to finding meanings in computer games where there are none.

When Manny goes to the Land of the Living you can see the John Hancock Centre which is a skyscraper in Chicago that was built in the 70s, so it could be after that time.

Anyway, I think time is irrelevant in the Land of the Dead. I think that a society that consists of individuals that have accepted their own death would consider time differently to mortal humans. They wouldn't be in a rush to change things because they essentially have all the time in the world. In other words, when someone dies and goes to the LotD their perception of life changes. This could be why dead souls find the Land of the Living so wierd and creepy because it is a totally different world.

Kinda went off-topic there, I think about GF too much. :)

Archived