Home

New ScummGUI v1.0

jeric0

Hi,

it has past some time since you heard from me, but i'm still working on ScummGUI. The last months was a hectic time for me. I was moving and not to forget my job. Now, all is going to normal stage and i found the time to work on ScummGUI again. In the future i plan to spend more time on it and update it regularly (that's what i wanted from the beginning).

Many things have changed since release 0.6.2 and i decided to release the new build as v1.0. I experimented alot with the design and i think it's more cartoon/adventure like with the current one. The most remarkable change you can see is the new logo. ScummGUI uses it's own logo now. Maybe it's to colorful for some people but i like it. For details on what has changed, visit the ScummGUI homepage. There're still some tasks open, that i haven't finished for this release, so keep an eye open for updates.

Since alot of code has changed and i tested most of it by myself, there's a chance that it isn't 100% bug free. But As far as i tested i haven't found anything. So, feel free to report bugs, ideas or whatever to me.

If this sounds interesting to you, you can grab a copy at the following address. I also changed the design of the website a little bit to match with the ScummGUI graphics.

http://scummgui.cjb.net

PS: Just for the record. I don't want to challenge with bgbennyboy and Q+E as some people thought in the past. It's a very good frontend and the new release has some nice features. ScummGUI is only an alternative launcher to Q+E that some people find useful.

Jerico

Although I much more prefer ScummVM Q + E (no offense), I do like the graphics MUCH better. I love the way that you can preview the game and it's cover in the window. Next challenge is to get all the advanced features of Q+E and maybe a live snapshot sorta thing, where the preview picture is the last frame you saw of the game before you quit.

Thanks for the response, masterdebator. Nice to hear, that you like the graphics. It's no problem for me, that you prefer Q+E. I've not reached the end, there're still some tasks open. But i don't want to include and copy all advanced features of Q+E, that's not the right way. It's a balance of what makes sense and fits to the design of ScummGUI. I.e. the sheduled task for the daily build, this feature makes no sense in ScummGUI (and if you ask me, not at all. it's an feature overload).

I like your idea of a "live screenshot". I will look into this. Let me see what i can do.

And yes Alien426, it's coded in VB.

PS: I reconized that the "Shortcut" function is not working correctly on all machines. I'm working on this.

Jerico

I've no problem with ScummGUI, I just wish you wouldnt lift things directly from Q+E eg the lists of bootparams.

Also, when I installed it, Windows file protection came up, telling me that some files required for Windows to run properly had been replaced. Something to do with the vb runtime files I assume.

[Edit] I'm not trying to sound like a git here.

Yes, that's the problem with vb. The f.........g dlls. ScummGUI checks if the needed dlls are present. If not it copies the files to the systemdir.

Sorry Benny, i thought this parameters were published somewhere on WMI or so. If it's your work, respect for checking this out. And besides this, i don't remember anything i took from Q+E. Maybe we have the same ideas.

Jerico

I would really like to not compare with q+e or put you in competition, but for a good review, I'd need to compare and considering q+e is the only other gui frontend for scummvm, i'm afriand i am going to have to compare. At the end of the day, the whole 'more screens than I care to go through' issue is still there and even though some people won't mind this, considering I've gotten through without this particular problem with q+e, I'll probably be sticking with it.

Thanks for testing, Joshi. Don't know exactly what you mean with "more screens", but for a quick start of a game simply select the game, set the gamepath and hit start. After that everytime you start ScummGUI the last selected game is chosen by default and you only have to press start.

Isn't that easy enough ?

Jerico

I think what Joshi means is that in Q + E, you pick the games from a drop-down list, and everything changes, but GUI uses what I call the "JAVA" method, and that is where you have to go option to option, till you find what you want, closer to the actual ScummVM... I would really like it if you chose the game FROM a drop-down list, while keeping the snapshots. I think the snapshot is the best "extra" feature any frontend could have.

You only have to go through the other options if you really need them. But every option you select is saved by default. You don't have to set the options everytime you select a game.

I'm a little confused now. What do you mean with "chose the game FROM a drop-down list, while keeping the snapshots"?

Jerico

Franky, I like to have everything in front of me just so i can quickly check over all of my options before running the game and also being able to change bits incase it doesn't work how I want it or at all without having to click on links to get to certain settings.

I also prefer the less bulky download from q+e, I'm guessing your's comes with scummVM built in, but when it comes to updates (i mean to ScummGUI) then we'd have to get rid of everything and then download it again afterwards and all we're really downloading would be a hell of a lot of files we've just deleted plus the updated frontend as apose to q+e where we're just updating the frontend and can download scummVM at our disgretion.

I know in this day and age, 4mb's isn't that much, but some people still do use a dialup, or at least a 128k and would like a more dialup friendly frontend.

I am not saying all of this to put you down, but merely as suggestions as to what you may want to do in your next version or in the future. i'm sure you will be afraid of ending up with a program that's exactly the same as q+e which would be kind of redundant, but i'm sure you can put your own spin on this program whist still producing a decent scummVm frontend.

Archived