Home

Am I the only one who finds it wrong that they sound differently?

SirPantsAlot

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They're clones of Jango Fett.

Voice is not a genetic thing, but more of a geographical thing. Best explanation I can pull out of my ass would be that they were grown in different kind of enviorments, causing different pitches in their voices. Where as I suppose the normal clones all grew up in a Jango Fett kinda enviroment, so they sound like him. Kind of like how people will get an accent depending on where they are, who they're around.

No, I don't think so, ET. In a quote from Hard Contact (the book tie-in to RC), Jango tells his commando trainers that they will have everything they want except for freedom. They are kept on Kamino, and their families beleive them dead. The only times the clones are away from Kamino are during mission,s and I don't think they remain long enough to develop accents.

So, yes, PantsAlot, you're right. But as Zbomb said, the game wouldn't be much fun if the cloens didn't have personality, which is what their voice gives them. I myself have grown to develop "friendships" with my squad mates in the demo based on their personality :D

Originally posted by joetheeskimo5

No, I don't think so, ET. In a quote from Hard Contact (the book tie-in to RC), Jango tells his commando trainers that they will have everything they want except for freedom. They are kept on Kamino, and their families beleive them dead. The only times the clones are away from Kamino are during mission,s and I don't think they remain long enough to develop accents.

Just because they're kept on Kamino doesn't mean they don't have them in different enviroments. An enviroment is just the surroundings that create your habitat. They could have particular clones that are created for certain jobs kept in different style enviroments within the lab.

i think a way we could use the book for an explanation on different voices is that the squad is made up of commandos who lost their squadmates, like in the book, and each commando had a different teacher which caused the different accents.

after playing jedi academy were no matter the specie chosen the same voice was used, the different voices don't bother me that much even if there is no explanation.

Originally posted by SirPantsAlot

Aren't they all supposed to be clones of boba fett? I can understand that they'd have different characters, but different voices?

Out of Universe:

1) Apparently when Lucas made ANH he hadn't planned to make the Stormtroopers clones. Apparently this idea didn't come out until the 80's but it was forgotten until AOTC. Hence the Stormies have different heights and voices in the classic trilogy. And despite his having the technology back then (and now) to "fix" it, he hasn't. Even on the new DVD's this is so. And just so you know, in the EU (created prior to AOTC's revelation in 2002), the Stormtroopers were not shown to be or thought of as being clones. A few short years after ROTJ, the Rebels were "shocked" to see Thrawn's army using clones, which was regarded as "lost" and "banned" tech, "left over from the clone wars."

During the Battle of Endor even, Stormtroopers were unmasked, and apparently they weren't shocked then by what they saw. Also in the EU there's characters who were "former Stormtroopers," etc and they aren't recognized as being clones. So retcons have been created, but I'm not sure exactly what they are. I am guessing they went with the "multiple clone templates other than Jango" explanation. Other explanations are that they started conscripting/taking enlisted guys after awhile, and either stopped using clones, changed cloning techniques (to explain the different techniques and time for growth in the EU vs. AOTC) and/or got different groups to clone batches for them.

2) In the game, it's easier to tell who's talking if they have different voices.

3) The developers wanted to differentiate the characters more to make them more interesting (the same way the four identical Turtles in TMNT are given all kinds of subtle differences to make them stand out from each other, or why they make Ken and Ryu different in the Street Fighter games).

In Universe:

1) Bunch of (BS) about how they are "experimental" clones who have different personalities and such, so this further differentiates them.

2) Accents aren't genetic, but culturally conditioned. Jango Fett had the accent, but his "son" didn't. Jango died when Boba was very young.

So Lucas had no reason to change Boba Fett's voice in ESB, because there's no reason he'd suddenly have Jango's accent. You could of course make up some story like he was so obsessed with taking on his late father's legacy that he practiced with tapes of his dad's voice to the point where he could imitate it exactly and did so for the rest of his adult life.

Originally posted by Kurgan

During the Battle of Endor even, Stormtroopers were unmasked, and apparently they weren't shocked then by what they saw.

We saw unmasked Stormtroopers at the very beginning and all throughout ANH. The black-uniformed officers with insignia are Stormtrooper Officers in non-combat dress.

Originally posted by TK-8252

We saw unmasked Stormtroopers at the very beginning and all throughout ANH. The black-uniformed officers with insignia are Stormtrooper Officers in non-combat dress.

I thought officers were a step higher than the footmen Stormtroopers?

They are. It means that in combat they wear a standard uniform.

Look in RotJ when the Scout Trooper "captures" Leia. His squadmate refers to him as an officer or someone of higher rank. He could be a Scout Trooper officer.

Also, a lot of Navy troopers, officers and pilots don't wear a mask and they are obviously not clones.

Originally posted by ZBomber

I thought officers were a step higher than the footmen Stormtroopers?

Here and I thought that the Officer corps were seperate from the Stormtroopers. Ie: we have a seperate group commanding the Troopers in armor.

But you're saying that, canonically, those are what Stormtroopers look like outside the armor?

Ha! Then explain that one Lucas... none of those guys look alike, or bear any resemblance to Temura Morrison.

; )

Or is this some Pre-AOTC EU thing? Because in the EU it was also said that the Imperial Red Guards were "taken from the Stormtrooper ranks" (contradicted by AOTC, since we see the Red Guards in Palpy's office, BEFORE the Clones are brought from Kamino, in full view of the Jedi and everyone).

Incidentally, the Officers might still be clones, we just have no way of proving that, unless we run into the twin of some officer... but by that logic anyone in the Star Wars movies could be a clone, so it gets us nowhere fast.

It's true in the movies we sometimes see Stormtroopers commanded by non-armored "officers" other times we see them commanded by other Stormtroopers.

And we also see the so-called "Naval Troopers" with their funky black helmets (similar to the Rebel commando helmets, only black) and black uniforms.

We could say, sure, you have a squad of clones in their usual armor, and then a non-clone officer puts on some armor and joins them on a mission. Okay.

But then they had a ranking system with the Clone Troopers in AOTC as well. And the only non-trooper armor types we saw commanding them were Jedi Knights.

Then again, in the animated Clone Wars series (C-Level canon, we'll have to see if ROTS contradicts this in any way) we have Jedi donning the armor as well, while going with the squad on a mission...

But I hesitate to call a non-clone who dons the armor for a special occasion (rather than wearing it all the time like the clones) a "Stormtrooper."

PS: Are the "TIE Pilots" supposed to be Stormtroopers? In AOTC they had special "clone pilots".... Or are they just guys wearing space suites for using a fighter?

Um... pilots are pilots... trained at the Naval Academy... Han Solo anyone? :D

As for the stormtroopers being clones... I'm sure by ANH, the clones would be getting pretty old due to growth acceleration. also, where is Kamino in the OT? Did it get destroyed in between?

As for Royal Guardsmen, perhaps they were specially trained on Yinchorr? And once they started getting stormtroopers, take the best ones and train them.

It's people that think too much and focus on contradictions and "abc-canon" crap that ruin it for themselves and others instead of just freaking enjoying the damn stories.

i don't know if this adds or detracts from the conversation, but upon reading each squad member's description on the official site, there are some interesting details ...

DELTA THREE-EIGHT

Despite being trained by Walon Vau, Three-Eight somehow inherited Jango's strong Concord Dawn accent and speech patterns.

DELTA FOUR-OH

Four-Oh was a favorite of the borderline sociopathic Vau - as they shared a common obssession with tech and tactics.

DELTA OH-SEVEN

Other members of the squad suspect that someone spiked his cloning vat.

DELTA SIX-TWO

'Scorch' earned his nickname after an ordnance accident that left him and Sergeant Walon Vau without eyebrows for a short time.

so, it seems that this walon vau fella plays a significant role in the training of the RCs, and it seems he does not have the same voice/accent as jango. can we assume vau is also a clone?

i doubt the cloning process is a one-and-done thing. i'd be willing to bet they 'special order' what each batch will be used for, and can tweak various aspects to allow the clones to excel in their predetermined jobs. it does take away somewhat from the 'canon' of the movies where each clone does sound similar, but how else could we easily determine who's who? it's a game afterall, it doesn't bother me THAT much.

Ill try to keep this from gettng religious or anything, but dont forget, just because they are "clones" doesnt mean that they have the same personality. With cloning, its more like a genetic blueprint. I think its kinda like having a twin; they may look the same, but yall can have different personalities. Its like what they said in the Designer's notes: Theres a factor of the Human gene called "Factor H" that makes humans different from one another. Almost like a "soul". Again, my apologies to anyone offened by this.

Originally posted by joetheeskimo5

They are kept on Kamino, and their families beleive them dead. The only times the clones are away from Kamino are during mission,s and I don't think they remain long enough to develop accents

What do you mean, "their families believe them dead". They're clones right? Unless Lama Su & co run an adoption center...

Archived