Home

Cell Processor : Unveiled!

Acrylic

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by lukeskywalker1

It seems that Sony is the only company brave enough to come out and say "hey, this is what we got..." while Xbox and Nintendo are keeping mostly everything a secret.

Yeah but both of the things that they've announced (Blu-ray DVD, Cell processor) are involved in other enterprises. The cell processor is being developed also in the PC business, and I think they announced the Blu-ray DVD part because it's probably the biggest company that's behind it and they want to announce their support, so they strap it onto their game console. Meanwhile, the XBOX 2/xenon/XBOX NEXT/whatever and the Revolution have no components that have been announced to be used in other industries as well. Not yet anyway.

You know, from what it looks like the Cell processor itself isn't all too sweet, considering it's just massively multicored(9 processors total).

But still, if Sony makes this the ultimate multimedia appliance, I will be happy. Truth be told, I'm getting tired of the intricacies in Windows...

Remember what they said about the PS2 processor? They said it was going to have that "emotion" stuff where it thought of different ways to the enemy to go and stuff and that it was going to be very powerful. Infact it was a 300Mhz prosessor, which sucked.

This cell prosessor is just going to flop, going to end up being around 1.6 ghz or something.

Rambus is just lucky to still be alive at this point,.. I can't imagine that thier licensing fees are what they once were.

This is coming from someone running 512 RDRAM who bought it when things were at a premium. :mad:

I still think that Sony is going to position itself to try and take a bite out of Windows Media Center PCs as well as the XBOX with the new Playstation. Games are going to be touted as only one thing that this unit does. "Convergence" is the current industry buzzword, and I think a lot of hardware being designed at the moment will reflect that.

A $600 price-tag doesn't seem so high when compared to a Media-Center PC... especially if the PS3 can do 80- or 90% of what a Media Center PC can.

$600 will probably become the new price-point for such units, and people will gladly pay it when they see the capabilities of the new hardware.

Personally, I think even Apple is setting themselves up to get into the Media-Center business with the Mini-Macs, too. All they have to set up is an on demand downloadable movie store like iTunes, say: iMovie, and hook up a $600 Mini-Mac to any HD-TV with a DVI in.

I really think that will be the trend over the next couple of years, and Sony is going to try to be on the forefront of it.

Originally posted by Boba Rhett

You don't think game prices will be going up?

Yeah, but rhett, games for the PS1 and N64 were $50... the new ones were anyways. Why up them now? I guess its a possibility with HL being $54.99.

You mean a terabyte right?

Oh yeah.. well nano is up there in size too, I think.

Originally posted by edlib

Rambus is just lucky to still be alive at this point,.. I can't imagine that thier licensing fees are what they once were.

This is coming from someone running 512 RDRAM who bought it when things were at a premium. :mad:

OMG!

So did me and my dad!

We bought a brand new Gateway, back when 3.0 Ghz was tops, with 512 RDRAM. It's good RAM and all, but it's soooo expensive!

Originally posted by InsaneSith

A PS3(and all consoles) is a computer, not a personal computer, but a computer none the less.

True, that.

Plus: How many under $600 Media-Center PCs are there? And how many of those are there that can play the entire Playstation catalog?

Archived