Home

Games to Film adaptations

jokemaster

Should Games-to-film adaptations continue?  

30 members have voted

1. 1. Should Games-to-film adaptations continue?

• YES!
    • With a few changes it could be good
    • With a few changes it might improve a little
    • With a lot of changes it might be salvaged
    • HAAAAAAEEEEEEEL NO!
    • YODA

Capslock is not your friend, Sithy. :D

From what I've seen and been told of Final Fantasy, the world is nothing whatsoever like that protrayed in the movie (except for the idea of the Earth having a spirit, etc etc.)

I wasn't aware that it was meant to be part of the series (curious as to how that works?) and you shouldn't be so offended that some people aren't psychic. ;)

Final fantasy is a bit different, as each one has been set in a totally different world with totally different characters...

But on the whole the TWO things that really annoy me about game adaptions are:

1) "Because it is based on a game it is ok to make it dumb".

Many games now have pretty grown up, involved and intelligent plots and are aimed at adults... but most movie producers seem to still think of "games" as plotless snes-side-scrollers aimed at kids.

So they seem to think the best approach is to make plotless action movies aimed at kids (or dumb teen boys).

Exhibits: AvP, Resident Evil, House of the Dead, Bloodrayne, etc..

2) "Buying the name, not the content".

I still don't get why, when studios bother to spend the money to buy up a recognised name, they then entirely ignore the original source material and basically make their own genre movie with the name tacked on.

Surely the name they have paid so much for is only of value among the section of the public who are familiar with the original, so tacking the name onto a mostly unrelated product manages to annoy the only people that the name might attract. Everyone else who didn't know the original work won't be attracted by the name.

Many computer games that are bought up are based on pretty generic premises anyway (eg: doom/HL = man against invading aliens). So i don't see why they don't just skip buying the name and make their own version (like the Underworld people did with the white wolf idea).

Exhibits: AvP, Resident Evil, House of the Dead, Doom, Alone in the dark, mario

To be fair, this isn't really limited to computer games. A & B above both apply to most comic book movies, as well as a number of book adaptions and adaptions of old tv series and foriegn films.

(eg: League of extrordinary gentlemen, catwoman)

I stil maintain that there are very few computer games who's source is original and unique enough to warrant conversion (thief being the only one i can think of right now) as many great games (Doom, HL, Deus Ex) have plots that are so generic that they could easily make their own version.

So just leave them alone unless you are going to do them right...

Metal Gear could indeed make a pretty good movie, similar to the way Splinter Cell has really good potential for an entertaining movie.

The problem with most video game to movie adaptations is they take video games whose stories aren't intended for film. Most video game stories are fun because YOU are playing it. like the plot twist in KOTOR was a HUGE deal because it was YOU. It really wouldn't be that big of a deal in a movie, because it's just another character, whoopdydoo.

There are only so many games out there with enough story to fill a movie. Here's my list of games that could possibly be made into a good movie in the right hands. Feel free to agree or disagree.

1. Half-Life

2. Return to Castle Wolfenstein

3. Metal Gear

4. Final Fantasy VII

5. Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas

6. Everquest (just because the possibilities would be limitless, like D&D)

true.

Also, many games are basically variations on classic ideas from film/tv ANYWAY. So converting them back just creates something that is like a poor imitation of the original inspiration.

MGS might well make a good movie. As might the mechwarrior games (they both have a well fleshed out back story, characters and universe).

Halo and splinter cell however seem far to generic in their approaches to make particularly unique games. The plots are very generic, and the characters (while well suited to the games) are very generic "gruff action hero" types. Halo would come across like chronicles of riddick, and splinter cell like any other tom clancy novel.

MGS could make a very good movie, if handled right. So could Silent Hill, some of the GTA games, Half Life. Duke Nukem could be done, though it'd be seen as an army of darkness rip-off, which it was actually a homage, IMO.

Let's see......Deus Ex and System shock could make VERY good movies. So could thief, and the Monkey Island games would make good wierd comedies.

What else.............Full Throttle has a chance, I haven't seen any motorcycle movies lately, except for, of course, the motorcycle diaries.

need an example of a good game 2 movie conversion ...

MORTAL COMBAT .... come on ... admit it ... it rocked :)

meh ... it doesnt really work either way ... games are games and movies movies .... and generally crossovers dont work

Clem

Hey 15!

sorry ... excuse me and my correct spelling :)

still ... the film rocked ... second 1 isnt bad either ...

havent managed to see either RE films yet

i'm with the person who said deus ex ... loved the story in that one

Doom3 would make an amazing film if it kept its own story... one of those horror action suspense movies .... its got a movie storyline anyway ...

Clem

Archived