Home

The "Switch to Worms Armageddon" Initiative

Thrik

As myself and Benzo have been discussing tonight, it might be a very good idea to stop playing Worms World Party, and instead switch to the slightly older Worms Armageddon. Why, you ask? Well, let's see..

To be frank, Worms World Party is an extremely cheap game. It is quite literally Worms Armageddon, but with a cheesey cartoonified interface, plus Wormpot (the thing that allows "high damage animals" and stuff, even though all this can be set manually in the weapon settings anyway). Other than that, Worms World Party is identical in practically every single way to Worms World Party.

So, why switch, you ask? See, just like we all realise that Worms Mayhem is a totally cheap spinoff of Worms 3D that isn't worth buying, everyone who liked Worms Armageddon realised that Worms World Party was just a cheap spinoff of that to make some extra cash. So, the community rejected it, and as such Worms Armageddon has a much larger community.

In addition to this though, and this is the biggie, it has a community developed patch. Seemingly well hooked-up with Team17, one guy has been tirelessly updating a "beta patch" for Worms Armageddon, which will ultimately become an official patch.

But, we can download and use the patch right now. The patch does such things as allow alt-tabbing both in wormnet and ingame, it allows you to use any resolution up to 1920x1440, you can adjust volume in-game, and quite literally dozens more things. I have uploaded the full version history below. I suggest reading through it -- a lot of seriously cool stuff has been added/fixed.

http://the.thrik.info/wapatch.php

So yeah, me and Benzo think that it might be seriously worth switching to take advantage of all these features. We're both getting WA right now, and assuming that it all works correctly, we can distribute it to anyone who hasn't got it if required. For total wimps (Tones), I might even be prepared to postal-mail a CD across since it costs next-to-nothing anyway.

So, think about it people! Our Worms could be so much better for it. The only thing we'd really lose is Wormpot, and let's be honest, do we really care that much about it to not benefit from all these patch fixes? All of our graves, soundbanks, and everything else will be 100% compatible.

I was reading the Team 17 forums the other day and I had exactly this thought. I was in fact going to investigate what exactly was different in W:A.. but then I got bored and ate some cake.

But you know how we tend to always play with Super sheep = Aqua sheep and... uh... some others, are those options available in WA?

Even losing that, the benefits seem to totally outweigh the losses. 1920x1440. ohhhhhhhhh man.

As far as I'm aware, that's part of wormpot, and thus isn't included -- although there is still that seperate scheme designing tool for WA, which might allow you to do it unconventionally. You know, by setting the chances of getting a super sheep to 0% and an aqua sheep to 100%, or something along those lines.

Really though, we don't really use it that much even if it is enabled. As you say, it's definitely not worth sacrificing all those benefits for.

• 1 month later...

Moo. Are you lot actually playing Worms Armageddon rather than World Party nowadays, then? If so, how often?

I know they're practically the same game, but I thought the whole point of World Party was to improve the online playability side of things. Does Armaggedon still use WormNET? Only I'm behind a particularly evil VPN that doesn't really want me to connect to WormNET.

It is pretty much identicle in every way. Armageddon's Wormnet is actually more advanced than WWP's (most probably due to the patching), as it allows you to copy/paste, not be forced to put in a password every time you log onto it, and other interface goodies.

The process for getting it to work is more or less the same too. Team17's forums can be searched for help on that. As for playing, every day or two?

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hmm... I've never played any worms since the old.. OLD worms.. (Pixel-Worms for windows 3.1) Is this part of the MIQC or is you lot a completely different bunch of players who just happen to have the same nicks?

Anyway.. Mort-Hog.. remember me? bwhaAHAHAH!! I'm back to haunt you, even though

you probably wont even remember meeeee.. Well, I'm off to buy me some brand-spankin'

new Worms games to practice on.

cheers

Goodsoup

Tee, I'm probably the only one who didn't bother playing back in the golden days. You should know all these moots.

As for Worms Armageddon, it is probably the best game ever. Get it and enjoy a lifetime of immense fun. We pretty much play daily, though you'll have to get on IRC to benefit from such business. ;

• 3 weeks later...

"We pretty much play daily"

Thrik lies. He does so compulsively, and probably tells people that he used to be in a failed boy band called "Echo" but now plays tennis for the England Under-21's, and is in fact the third best in the country at this under 21 tennis game. In reality he avoids worms and plays Kerbie outside in the street with his step-cousin who he sort-of-fancies. If you don't know what Kerbie is, you were never a true child. Why can I not find any web-based kerbie-esque games? Oh, and I'm not spelling Kerby wrong, by the way. (Edit: I meant "Kirby". I'm not spelling "Kirby" wrong (although yes; I did). I'm not referring to the fluffy pink nintendo ball that can absorb things).

Thrik is not ninja.

P.S. If any of this is true Thrik, it's just a happy coincidence. I know I wish I had a hot step-cousin who would play Kerbie with me.

Yes, ban all uni's.

Everyone knows that its wallie not kerbie scabb. It would make an excellent flash game, but I'm not sure how you'd simulate the 'trying to kick the ball out from under a parked car so that it still hits the wall' bit.

Wallie and Kerbie are completely unrelated games, benzo! You disgust me.

Wallie: Take it in turns to kick the ball at the wall. If the ball touches you and doesn't touch the wall afterwards, then you lose points and respect.

Kirbie: Smaller ball! Try and throw it at the kirb so it bounces off it and then you catch it. If succesfull, move to the middle of the street, throw it at the kirb and catch it. Repeat, taking a step forward with every succesfull catch. Should you get to your opponents side, you win much points! Should you miss a catch, or miss the kerb, your opponent must find the ball and hurl it at you before you've dashed back to your side of the street. Should it hit you, you lose much points! Or he gains them.

It's been a long time actually, I'm not sure on the specific rules. Wallie is a lot more straight forward.

• 3 months later...

Kerbie is genius! But it doesn't have to be a smaller ball, a football is fine.

The problem with Wallie was always finding a wall which didn't have any glass windows, didn't face a busy road, and yet still had sufficient obstacles to rape your opponent with. Man, the safety shots in that simple game were on a par with snooker.

Archived