Home

Gold!! (Release Date: March 1st)

Sifandor

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

sweet...........Ive never heard of a game where you can play your own dedicated server before that will be awsome. For battlefront i was using only my laptop to use a dedicated server that i could get into and playing the game on my good PC. im not going to host or anything because my computer wont be able to handle it on dont think, sweet......

At least ther shouldn't be a shortage in servers.

Originally posted by coupes.

If you play on your "dedicated" server, then it's not a dedicated server anymore, is it ? Isn't that the whole purpose of a dedicated server ?

That is what i was thinking allthough it is very possible. for example say in a game that is not dedicated. You can be playing kick some one.....use adminisrative opstions, what ever. with this maybe you wont be able to do that unless you go back to your server options and use the admin opstions their. Maybe when you are playing in your own server you are just like an outsider with now power. could be idk...guess we'll just have to see..

running a dedicated server (and i'm talking from my JK2 experience) puts the game into a console which you can then minimize. you'll need to start up a second session of the game and connect to your server (via IP address, server browser, etc) in order to play on it.

as for admin powers within your server, you'll need to set up an admin password via your server configs. after joining the game, you can then login using the proper console command(s), and be able to kick/ban/etc to your heart's content.

Originally posted by coupes.

If you play on your "dedicated" server, then it's not a dedicated server anymore, is it ? Isn't that the whole purpose of a dedicated server ?

It's still dedicated because even after you leave the game the server is still running so long as you have a constant connection to the internet.

Originally posted by adillon

running a dedicated server (and i'm talking from my JK2 experience) puts the game into a console which you can then minimize. you'll need to start up a second session of the game and connect to your server (via IP address, server browser, etc) in order to play on it.

Exactly. That's how it is in a majority of games.

Thanks for your answers guys, as you probably have guessed, I've never set up a server, or a dedicated serverfor that matter. My understanding was that dedicated severs were used instead of "normal" servers to get better performances overall, so I didn't really see the point in setting one up if you still played on it...

Originally posted by adillon

if my memory serves me right, half-life was never playable online. HL2 is playable online now (HL2 deathmatch) but isn't fully tuned, is still lacking proper animations for some aspects, and still has some bugs that need to be worked out.

If memory serves, Half Life had standard deathmatch (and a few options) right out of the box like every other FPS, but with subsequent patches and map packs (officially released) Team Fortress Classic was added. Then came the mods which became commercial expansions for HL, like Counter Strike. It's a bit confusing because some of the more popular mods became commercial. The same thing happened incidentally with UT. The publisher (Valve for HL, Epic for UT) paid certain mod groups to finish and release their projects in a box.

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but I think this is how its referred to:

A "listen server" is when you're just running the game and people can join. It's non-dedicated. If you exit the game, it's over and everybody is disconnected.

A "dedicated" server can be on your own box or a seperate box, but it's the one where it's a console window that can be minimized. It is supposed to save resources by not having to render all the 3-D stuff in real time, however you can still join your own.

Usually running a Dedicated Server requires a little more processing power than a listen server, but with powerful machines it's not such a big deal to join your own on the same machine.

The thing is most pc gamers run windows as an operating system, but use a Linux dedicated server (on a linux box they have or on a rental server), due to issues of stability (and Linux is free) and because most people don't have a super high speed connection necessary to run a big server.

Plus and the fact that if you surf the net or do anything online while running the server in the background, the players get lag as a result.

I hopw IGN's review isnt entirely true because i would like this game to be the best on ei have, I am not a hardcore gamer or anything but i know a good game when i see it. I have not had ALOt of experience with games so i have not see the greatest of them but i think this one will be one of my best.:bdroid2: Who is this guy?

Archived