Home

Gold!! (Release Date: March 1st)

Sifandor

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, not every game that has been a long time in development is spectacular or worth the wait.

Note some examples: Star Wars Obi-Wan, Diakatana, Unreal II.

And I doubt Duke Nukem Forever will ever live up to the "reputation" it must have with such a long development cycle.

Even in the above Unreal II was deemed nothing special and promptly forgotten after a short period of time, despite the long long development cycle.

I didn't expect RC to be "revolutionary." I merely expected it to be a little more "up to date" in terms of MP game modes it would include (not just the same one's that have been standard in FPS's since 1997). And while the inclusion of Assault throws a little bit of variety in the mix, Quake3 Team Arena had far more options, and it was merely an MP expansion pack, released four years ago.

And then there's the concept of the squad based tactical shooter, that cries out for options like class based and/or objective based multiplayer, coop, or similar types of game modes.

Imagine how much fun Rainbow 6 would be if you only had CTF and Deathmatch for multiplayer.

Sure it would be fun, but wouldn't you play the SP game and wish you could somehow duplicate that experience online, but with humans instead of AI? Therein I think lies the key to the "disappointment factor" we're hearing about.

It sounds like we're getting a nice Simplified Single Player game, and then a run of the mill MP game that offers nothing really new or exciting.

But, as I'm wont to admit, we haven't actually gotten to play MP ourselves, so perhaps there is more to it than these reviewers are letting on and in the end we won't care so much that these opportunities were missed. Or maybe the mod community will come up with something to remedy it eventually.

One key question I have about the Multiplayer, is how many of the SP conventions are "ported over" into the MP realm? Because that sort of thing would color how the game plays, and might make it unique enough from the generic FPS deathmatch play to keep it interesting.

Can we give Squad orders, can we use the revive option? Can we pickup and use any weapon or are there presets? That sort of thing...

I kinda hope there is a revive then again.......

1) How would the trandoshans revive?

2) It would be instead of playing an FPS you are playing a freeze tag game.

I hope it is more like rounds as in Source...... oh yeah.... i also hope there is something that when you die you can watch the other player's view.... But you know how lucas arts is.....

Originally posted by ZBomber

By revolutionary, I don't mean something extremely hard to do. Some kinda seige mod, or mission based objectives would be enough for me, I never saw squad-MP games like that (But I haven't played many)

HL2 is revolutionary because it's changed the way MP will be done for the next generation of games.

Originally posted by InsaneSith

HL2 is revolutionary because it's changed the way MP will be done for the next generation of games.

Meaning future games will just use the Source engine?

The main reason to use an engine these days seems to be for the graphics and (and the brand name recognition).

Then again it makes sense from the standpoint of shorter development cycles to save money. Not every developer has the cash and time to spend developing a brand new engine from scratch everytime they make a game.

But, not having edited the Source engine, what, besides pretty graphics, is so revolutionary about the Source engine vs. other modern engines?

Saying RC is "not revolutionary" because it uses Unrealtech means you'd have to say that none of the Unreal series games were revolutionary. Unreal tech is the most liscensed engine tech for commercial games next to the Quake3 engine, from what I can tell. By the "engine use logic" there are only a few "revolutionary games" out there:

Doom, Quake1, Quake2, Quake3, Unreal, Half Life 2.

Any others I forgot?

Archived