Home

TSL: ATI driver issues and Dantooine Lag Fix

stingerhs

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"Doesn't work for me though ... damn my system."

Odd, I am not sure how it could not work, by placing the atioglxx.dll in the KotOR2 directory it overrides you system drvier.

What driver are you using in your main system?

Also are you sure you have the 4.11 version (your putting in the X:\KotOR2) extracted correctly?

Does your ATI card have known conflicts with the 4.11 driver?

I'm using a Sapphire X800Pro with Ati Catalyst 5.3 (recently) installed. The game, however, runs smooth most of the time. Except places like

Jek jek tar, Goto's ship, Nar shaada.

where frame rate is between 10-30...

Basically, kotor2 doesn't give any glow on my system. So I try various versions of atioglxx for glows. 4.11atioglxx doesn't give any glow for me. I dunno why. Are you using the same 4.11atioglxx downloaded from Ati website?

Mentioned in other thread, 4.3 and 4.2 atioglxx's give glow at the expense of artifacts and permanently disabled AA.

A much older version of atioglxx gave the glow without artifacts and restrictions on the graphic options. But the frame rate is HORRIBLE. At times reaching single digits.

I'm gonna give that DNA 4.11 catalyst thingy a shot...

OK. I found out which driver works the best on my Sapphire X800pro.

After testing atiodlxx from 4.4 to 4.11, the best to use is 4.7. It gives the glow, no artifacts, pretty good frame rate, and no restrictions on AA.

Glow doesn't work 4.8 onwards...

Hope it helps.

"Are you using the same 4.11atioglxx downloaded from Ati website?"

Yes and various mirrors, I have only seen orginal ATI 4.11s and the DNA 4.11s.

"So I try various versions of atioglxx for glows. 4.11atioglxx doesn't give any glow for me. I dunno why."

You might check to make sure you have a line in your, swkotor2.ini

Darth333 mentioned, Disable Vertex Buffer Objects= , except make sure it is set to 0 not 1.

If it is set to 1 it turns off glow, which is what sounds like is happening.

Any hoo, just a thought.

Good Luck.

easiest thing to do: get the video driver cleanup utility from the omega drivers, run the cleanup utility, install the dna drivers, save the atioglxx.dll file, run the cleanup utility again, then finally reinstall the catalyst drivers.

unfortunately, the people that made the .exe file for the DNA drivers are using a really weird compression format that not even WinRAR can understand. so, you're going to have to take the above steps to get the lone file. kinda sucks, don't it??

Just a data point. I am not sure where I read it originally (it wasn't here though wish I knew about this place on my first playthrough), but the solution Acleacius posted fixed my Dantoine and other random spots problems. I have an ATI 9800XT. I can even crank up antialiasing and antro-whatever now.

I had tried the edit ini thing posted in Lucas's support but that did diddly squat. Actually, before I read the solution with the 4.11 driver, I was just tweaking antro-whatever and it fixed the prob but it was a pain to keep doing that over and over.

I still have the gamma problem though. Everytime I exit KOTOR2 I get blinded by the high gamma of my monitor :(. I should stop playing in the dark lol.

The gamma in KOTOR 2 is really wild. Sometimes it'll start the game with a setting not specified in the ini or it will return from the game and set your desktop to a strange gamma level. I myself have only the problem with the game occasionally setting itself really dark.

If the game is too dark/bright: From the main menu or from the graphics options page, adjust the gamma one notch, then adjust it back, and it will be normal again.

If your desktop is too dark/bright: Yes, the ATI Catalyst drivers and the nVidia Forceware drivers both have a gamma control. Again, try adjusting it one notch, then returning it to default.

Alright! I've tested DNA catalysts OpenGL's.

DNA 4.7 atioglxx

- with glow

- no artifacts

- no graphic restrictions (AA, AF, etc.)

- no crashes (so far)

Conclusion: DNA 4.7 is more stable than Ati 4.7.

Glow doesn't work for Catalyst 4.8 onwards.

4.6 and 4.7 gives the same results, so use the later one.

Hope it helps...

The procedure is the same for any DNA catalyst application.

1. open the program and agree to install the driver

2. DNA program will extract necessary files (INCLUDING atioglxx.dll) into a folder (of your choice) before installing.

3. A message will come up asking you to confirm if you want to remove your current driver. (I use this time to copy the atioglxx.dll from the folder). There are a few atioglxx's there, so take the one from a folder named "normal OGL" (or something of that name).

4. Once that is done, disagree to install the driver. Regardless of whether you agree or disagree to remove your current Catalyst, it gets removed anyway. So I installed Ati Catalyst 5.3 again.

Originally posted by stingerhs

how long did it take for you to get it working?

Get what working?

I'm assuming you're talking about the atioglxx from DNA. I just put it in the Kotor2 folder.

The extraction of atioglxx for different DNA's were a PAIN though.

^^^^

actually, i was referring to the whole process of getting the driver from the DNA drivers to your kotor2 folder.

but, now that you've provided the how of the equation, i don't think that it would take too long. i'll give it a shot tommorrow after my 10:30 class and check my results. :)

Ok, I have a few new things to add as well.

Frist sadly we may have to learn to live without Omega Drviers. :(

http://www.omegadrivers.net/

I would cut and paste thou it is kinda long.

Second besides the Tweak guide Darth333 mentioned there is a ATI specific tweak guide, here.

Its possible to do some of the tweaks that Omega and DNA do which can be finetuned for your specific system.

http://www.tweakguides.com/ATICAT_1.html

Best of Luck to Omgea and Good Luck to everyone getting TSL running great.

BTW Anyone have a clue about the patch?

2 weeks ago Obsidian posted it was in testing/production and would be avalible soon.

Thanks for any info.

Archived