Home

TSL: ATI driver issues and Dantooine Lag Fix

stingerhs

:confused:

When I extract everything, shouldn't it run the setup? I go to the path it extracts the files to (in this case, C: Documents and Settings/Owner/Local Settings/) only to find that there is no folder known as Local Settings. I try to create one, and it says there is a folder named Local Settings in existance, and that I need to name it something else. WTF?!?!?!?

EDIT: Never mind. I created a new path for the file to go to, and it worked fine. I am, however, worried that my Local Settings folder seems to be MIA. What could I do to resolve this issue?

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

I don't know if anyone still checks this thread, but I'm having a rather frustrating issue with my drivers. Well my last video card burned out on me (Radeon 9700 Pro), so I had to put back in an older Radeon 9200. I know it's an older video card, but both KotOR and TSL seem to "recommend" a 9200 or higher.

Anyhow the game barely gets past 8 FPS on the main menu, and in-game the frame rate can be downright annoying. So when I looked around the net (Lucasarts, Obsidian, and of course here on Lucasforums), I noticed this problem was common. So I did what seemed to be the best solution, download a previous driver. However I must have gone through this process several times last night because KotOR simply refused to except the drivers for being new. (Check the link for a picture)

http://img513.imageshack.us/img513/4261/driverissuesop8.jpg

I've attempted installing the ATI 6.5 Catalyst, The Omega 6.5 Drivers and ATI 5.9 Catalyst drivers. Each one of the them was rejected for being 'outdated'. And KotOR's frame rate doesn't improve or decrease in game, it stays around the choppy eight frames.

If you notice in the picture I've downloaded the 'driver cleaner'. I've used it to clean out ATI before I installed each new driver. However not even that seems to help. Although of course I'm not exactly sure if I'm using it on the right location.

If anyone could help, it would be greatly appreciated.

• 5 months later...

okay, i've updated all the links in the first post mostly due to the ATI/AMD merger and ATI now having a new website.

something i noticed is that the 4.11 Catalyst Drivers are no longer listed in ATI's back-driver page. i tried looking for them at DriverHeaven.net, but the earliest version they have is only 4.12, so that's a no-go as well. anyways, if anybody finds a link to the 4.11 Catalyst Drivers, then let me know by responding here. until then, what was formerly step 3 has been removed. :)

also, i no longer have an ATI card in my system since i've upgraded from my ol' 9700 Pro to a GeForce 7800 GS. so, if someone could let me know if they'd be interested in testing out a couple of different things for performance reasons, you can also let me know by responding here as well.

• 3 months later...

Hey guys. I'm using a X1550 card, and everything is fine, except one thing, SMOKE! poision, steam etc, when I go near it my game slows wayyyy down. to the point of frustration, beacuse my system has good specs, (dual core, 2GB RAM) etc.

Anyone know how to fix this?

Thanks

• 1 month later...

THIS WORKED: http://www.driverheaven.net/modtool/

I followed the instuctions EXACTLY as stated, and bingo: Problems gone.

My system:

Inspiron E1505

4MB Intel Core 2 Duo processor

256MB ATI MOBILITY RADEON X1400 w/HyperMemory

Windows Vista Home Basic

If you want details, read on.

I just bought KOTOR and yep, when things went haywire on Dantooine I started trying to get some real answers. The worst was discovering that the game doesn't even support my graphics card (finally read the fine print on the box): Mobile Radeon x1400.

I'm new to this whole which-card-supports-what nonsense and I'm sorry, but I don't have room for a desktop -- I have a brand new laptop. Paid good money for it, too (and for the game) so it better work. Period.

Omega drivers almost messed my laptop up; the "Disable Vertical Buffer Objects=1" tweak didn't work. But the mod to my ATI drivers did work. Outstanding.

A few comments:

1. I completely lost my saved games. Not a huge loss since I was stuck on Dantooine, but still a pain. The save game utility had acted weird before I modded the drivers, too -- games disappeared and reappeared, but that's another topic

2. I noticed *slight* jerkiness with the modded drivers, improved somewhat when I dialed down the graphics.

3. Game crashed during the dream that marks the transition between the Swoop Race/Bastila Rescue and infiltration of the Sith Base. Luckily, I saved my game (I'm constantly saving games.)

4. On a hunch, I reinserted the "Disable Vertical Buffer Objects=1" tweak and was able to get past the dream sequence and get on with the game.

5. Some problems crashing boarding the Ebon Hawk in Tarik's hangar. Also thought I lost my save game here, too, but when I just rebooted and then restarted the game, the save was there and I was able to get on the ship.

That's all I can think of. So far so good. Dantooine's been working like a dream, and even seems to run smoother than Taris. Go figure... I'm just thrilled to get back in the game!

S:.M:.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

I'm having severe problems with both frame buffer effects and fps around smoke/steam, with an ATI x1600GT.

AMD 64 3200+ MMX 3DNow

1.5G DDR1 (PC3200)

Radeon x1600GT/512DDR2 VRAM/Pixel3.0

Realtek AC97 audio/7.1optical support

It's not a laptop card so I'm hunting for a similar fix to the mobility mod, but does anyone else have experience sorting cards made after the x800 limitation on tsl?

Oh cat/drivers are the latest 8.1/09-2008

Have tried ATI Tray Tools with little effect. Best I can get my fps on the load screen with the smoke is 18, whilst I did manage 240-odd on the next screen that has no smoke. That's a tremendous hit for smoke effects, this game really hates Radeons.

Any ideas?

• 1 year later...

I´ve an ATI card, too.

I had a hard drive crash! Now I´ve a new hard drive on warranty! And now on Dantooine (Khoonda) the graphical building is damn slow. I mean really slow! Like a C64. :D

Do I have to install the new catalyst driver?

I play it with Frame buffer, smooth shadows, grass, AA @ 8 and AF @ 16! 8) On KOTOR 1 and 2!

The best settings were never a problem. Except now.

Please can anyone help?

Please post your system specs using the game's configuration utility:

Post your system specs

Sometimes we're just not going to be able to help you if we don't know what kind of hardware you have on your machine. If you don't know what you have on your machine, then follow these steps below:

• Bring up the launcher menu for Kotor 1 or 2.
  • Click on "Configure".
  • Click the "Scan Hardware" button on the lower center of the window.
  • Click "Yes" to continue.
  • Click "Details" to view your system specs.
  • Click "Save Report" and save the file to your desktop.
  • Whenever you post your problem, open the file you just saved and copy and paste the contents to your post.

Also, please specify which version of Windows you're using, because the game can't recognize anything newer than XP.

• 2 weeks later...

I've recently made the discovery that, due to newer drivers, the Dantooine lag fix is now necessary for every installation of the KotOR games, regardless of OS or hardware configuration. This includes DX9 graphics cards.

• 3 weeks later...

Im a little green on computers, and im considering to update my catalyst driver, but i want to know what version im currently running before i do anything.

So i need to ask how i can find and identify the current catalyst driver version on my PC. My computer has a Radeon 9600 graphic card. I use

Windows XP Home Edition.

How do i install the new driver? Can i just run the installation without doing anything else, and it will overwrite the older version?

• 1 year later...

Archived