Home

So, which format are you getting Psychonauts for?

Thrik

So, which format are you getting Psychonauts for?  

32 members have voted

1. 1. So, which format are you getting Psychonauts for?

• The massive Xbox.
    • The mighty PC.
    • The.. PS2.
    • I'm getting it for multiple formats.

It might be interesting to find out what format everyone's getting the game for. Whilst traditionally I almost exclusively get the PC version if there's one available, Psychonauts is looking very likely to be an exception for me.

Whilst I'll probably up getting both anyway for screenshotting and footage, I reckon that the Xbox will be my format of choice. Unless the PC version benefits from some serious graphical upgrades, which is unlikely, the Xbox is a winner on all fronts for me.

- It's a platform game, and thus will be more suited to a gamepad. PC gamepads have a habit of sucking, or simply not being present with most people's machines.

- There's no chance of it not running Perfectly. Psychonauts has been designed with the Xbox in mind from the very beginning, and is almost certainly going to be fine-tuned to smooth perfection.

- Graphically, the Xbox is capable of awesome stuff. It'll probably look as good as the PC version, if not better (a lot of console games somehow translate to looking worse on a PC, even if there have been no actual cutbacks -- maybe it's a resolution and texture stretching issue).

- I need an excuse to buy an Xbox, other than Rareware's upcoming Kameo and Conker's Bad Fur Day.

So, what are you lot getting? I guess it might be nice if you back up your choice with a post, for the sake of discussion and all that. ;

Xbox. One of my reasons for getting the console when it was released was the (at the time) unannounced Tim Schafer game. Now I'm sure as hell going to get the game for the platform I bought to play the game on in the first place. (If you follow :¬: )

Hmm, good to see that the Xbox is currently the clear leader! I wonder when the "PC or DEATH!" brigade will turn up. :~

Definitely the Xbox for me. Being able to lie down and soak up the atmosphere blasting out of my TV in comfort far outweighs all the 'advantages' of a PC version, like fiddly controls, installation woes and having to sit at a desk to play the thing.

I will be enjoying Psychonauts by sitting 2 ft away from my 20" monitor, gamepad in hand (though I will try it using std FPS mouse / WASD combos first) with the display cranked up to a TV-screen-shaming 1280x960 pixels.

PC or :deathstar (etc).

Tee, that's another really obvious one. Being able to just lie back on the nice, soft, chair in the living room with Psychonauts blasting out on a 21" screen and twometre high speakers far outweights the experience of being sat in front of a crappy 17" monitor with headphones on.

Man, I can't wait. It'll be like Christmas all over again. Except in April. And without the festivities.

I want to play it, I really do.. I just can't see myself buying a new console, and certainly not a new PC. Oh well.

I really want to play Dreamfall though, and as that's coming out on X-Box too, I'll probably buy one when the money from my job starts rolling in. I just had other plans for the money.. so I probably won't get Psychonauts until a few weeks or even months after release.

Yeah, you heard me

The fact that you can get a refurbished Xbox (or used one) for something like $100 should be more than enough reason for people who are able to afford PC's and software for them to own their own Xboxes. And play Psychonauts on them.

and possibly mod them and use them to watch downloaded TV shows and MAME roms

Okay, I just saw something on the doublefine site that has prompted me to get Psychonauts. The thing is.. will it look worse on the PS2? Will it play worse? Cos although X-Box has the GTA games now, which I want, if I get a PS2 I can also play the MGS games...

help me

While I don't know about Psychonauts, PS2 games usually look a bit worse than the Xbox versions, and also take a bit longer to load (and sometimes have more frequent loading).

Maybe Psychonauts will be the exception though. ;

Before the PC port was annonced, I was seriously considering spending my non-existant money on an X-Box. Now I don't have to make that choice and be able to appreciate decent graphics. Plus I like the WASD/mouse combo, I'm not a big consoler.

That said, the flat I live in has an Xbox in the living room for everyone to use, but come summer, I'll want to play at home and the Xbox version will have been a waste of money.

I have enough money to buy the game, but not the console, PC all the way for me.

It seemed as though the PC and PS2 versions were just something Majesco wanted to do with Psychonauts to make more moolah. Honestly I'll be getting it for my xbox though because thats where the spotlight for psychonauts has been since we all first heard about it. Microsoft is going to regret dropping this title. In the end with the multiplatform thing everyone wins, but I still think xbox will have the upper hand as far as polish, controls and so on.

Originally posted by Thrik

- It's a platform game, and thus will be more suited to a gamepad. PC gamepads have a habit of sucking, or simply not being present with most people's machines.

I thought about buying a gamepad for my PC to play Psychonauts, so I'm interested: What makes them suck? What's the difference between a PC and console gamepad? The PC Logitech rumblepad, for example, looks almost identical to its PS2 version.

--Erwin

Archived