Home

DOSSIER CHEAT: Joypads in SWB and in-game AutoAim

Fds

DOSSIER CHEAT: Joypads in SWB and in-game AutoAim

by =XSL=Fds[iTa] and the =XSL= AntiCheat Team [XSLclan.com]

This text want to describe probably one of the most dangerous "errors" made by Pandemic in the coding/conversion of the PC version of Star Wars Battlefront.

- Introduction

Our first suspect started when we noticed that there were players around the SWB servers that could kill enemies with normal blasters in about 3 - 4 laser bolts, without missing any shot or with a very low percentage of miss.

This strange thing convinced us to start a surveying for understanding how it could be possible.

After about a month of various covert operations we discovered a trace:

- all those players used to play infantry classes WITH A JOYPAD.

So, we thought that probably the advantage could be determined by the structure of SWB maps, usually all flat, because designed for be played with a console joypad.

But...

- The Problem

... the real problem appeared at our eyes when we tried to use Joypads with infantry classes:

The Joypad was AIMING ALONE!

The joypad was automatically targetting the enemy.

We tested these joypads with SWB:

Microsoft Sidewinder

Microsoft Sidewinder Freestyle Pro

Saitek P3000 Wireless

Logitech Rumblepad

Logitech Precision USB

but can be tested with any model on the market, it is not related on the Joypad Model.

Probably is a feature designed for Xbox and PS2 players, for help the aiming with console joypads. The problem is that they did not remove this part of code from the PC version.

We made a video demostration of the AutoAiming Effect.

Download it here:

http://www.xslclan.com/joypadcheatsurveying/joypad_cit.wmv

Like can be seen in the video, not all classes support the autoaim effect:

For example Rocket Launcher, Sniper Rifle, Granade Launcher and EMP Cannon does not AutoAim, but Pistol, Blaster Rifle, Electric Pilot Rifle, DarkTrooper/RebelPilot Shotgun have the AutoAim help if used with a Joypad.

- The Solution

This AutoAiming feature is a big problem for the game.

It can not be called exactly a cheat, because it is not an external program, but its effect is EXACTLY LIKE A CHEAT!

Howether, during a research on our archives, we have found the server side command called "/noaim".

We tested this command on some test servers and we discovered what we hoped:

This command can DISABLE THE AUTOAIMING EFFECT!!!

And without this effect, all the Joypads that we tested loss their strange precision.

Remember:

The command is /noaim and have to be added in the APP_COMMAND_LINE_BASIC on the file "battlefront server.ini", contained in the root Dedicated Server Folder.

- Conclusions

Now the problem is public, and the solution too.

What can be done for definitively solve the problem?

1) Pandemic MUST remove this feature from the PC Version of StarWars Battlefront in the next patch.

2) Server Admins have to add in their battlefront server.ini the /noaim command.

3) All Tournaments-Leagues that at the moment support SWB have to disallow the use of joypads in official matches.

4) All the clans that do not want to cheat have to PREVENT their members from the use of Joypads in SWB with Infantry Classes.

At the moment all the players that use a Joypad with infantry classes in StarWars Battlefront are like cheaters.

Probably involuntarily.

But if they continue to use it after the reading of this document,

they want to be cheaters voluntarily.

I want to say thanks to all the =XSL= members that spent their time in the discovering, analizing, testing and documenting this "feature", to ORG]=Antakah for his online tests of the /noaim setting and to TAW_Rebel for his support.

Vis Nobiscum EST! SEMPER!

=XSL=Fds[iTa]

=XSL= Xa'Felian Space Legion Clan Leader

=XSL= AntiCheat Team Leader

http://www.XSLclan.com

The First Italian StarWars Battlefront Clan!

The First StarWars Republic Commando Clan on the World!

before everyone goes and thinks fds is the God of all gamepad haters....

http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=144946

Give Pandemic a call.

GJ on the testing though, very nice and it's always nice to see people looking out for other gamers, but it is there for a reason. Not saying I agree or disagree, but it's doing no real harm from my perspective. I've tried joypads...and it is much harder to aim I think....and this aim assist issue is only for classes that have no splash damage capability.

Like I say. Just call them yourself if you wish to debate it with the people that designed the game. I think they know a little more about it than the rest of us. We might not like it, but thats the way it was meant to be.

Originally posted by bounty8

I've tried joypads...and it is much harder to aim I think....and this aim assist issue is only for classes that have no splash damage capability.

Like I say. Just call them yourself if you wish to debate it with the people that designed the game. I think they know a little more about it than the rest of us. We might not like it, but thats the way it was meant to be.

I understand your point of view, but you shall agree that for casual gamers it don't make a great difference, but when clans and skilled players are involved, a good placed auto-aimed infantry could bring the difference. :)

I keep on asking to me why someone should choose a gamepad to play a shooter, when could use the kb/m option.

For the difficult controlling system... i remember when i learned to key-strafe and mouse-look, playing with Quake, and it was hard too, but with perseverance and training i was able to get used to it. Why gamepad users should not make the same? They wanted to use it? So they HAVE to learn to use it!

Finally: get off that freakin'auto-aim from the game!!! :D

Originally posted by The.Grem

I understand your point of view, but you shall agree that for casual gamers it don't make a great difference, but when clans and skilled players are involved, a good placed auto-aimed infantry could bring the difference. :)

I keep on asking to me why someone should choose a gamepad to play a shooter, when could use the kb/m option.

For the difficult controlling system... i remember when i learned to key-strafe and mouse-look, playing with Quake, and it was hard too, but with perseverance and training i was able to get used to it. Why gamepad users should not make the same? They wanted to use it? So they HAVE to learn to use it!

Finally: get off that freakin'auto-aim from the game!!! :D

I like this guy. :D

A word from Phill Hong, a developer at Pandemic, about the joypads and autoaim

Yeah we've seen this come up on the boards... Well, our goal is to empower the host with as many control settings as possible so the community can self-regulate. Happy to see that hosts are using /noaim if that's what the players want.

• 4 years later...

Archived