What's your fav Star Wars RTS  

49 members have voted

1. 1. What's your fav Star Wars RTS

• Supremacy/Rebellion
    • Force Commander
    • Galactic Battlegrounds

• 6 months later...
  • 4 months later...

I just downloaded the demo to Force Commander. Very fun game, the controls are a bit strange but still very good. Also the camera is more complicated than Galactic Battlegrounds, but thats because it is in full 3D.

I like the effects in it too. The smoke effects look great, especially for that time.

Is there a multiplayer community for Force Commander? I'm thinking about buying it from the Lucasarts store when they start selling it again in Feburary and would like to know.

• 4 weeks later...
I just downloaded the demo to Force Commander. Very fun game, the controls are a bit strange but still very good. Also the camera is more complicated than Galactic Battlegrounds, but thats because it is in full 3D.

I like the effects in it too. The smoke effects look great, especially for that time.

Is there a multiplayer community for Force Commander? I'm thinking about buying it from the Lucasarts store when they start selling it again in Feburary and would like to know.

I haven't heard of a community for Focom in ages. I think most people couldn't get over the controls.. :p

I had a lot of fun with that game - I'd get a whole load of artillery and just start shelling things from halfway across the map. It was awesome. :D

• 5 months later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Rebellion. No contest, IMO. It's Expanded Universe. The guys who made this game were obviously SW nerds who also liked strategy and tactics. I really dug the game's interesting take on turn-based vs. real-time. It has so much detail, so many ways to accomplish things. It's certainly not perfect and could use various overhauls/reworkings, but of all of the SW "RTS" games, it takes the cake. It has a scary learning curve though, that's for sure. This game is no C&C/Starcraft/AoE clone. It's more Master of Orion meets realtime...or something. It's plain different.

FoCom was kinda a wreck and foretold the future fall of LucasArts from being able to make good games. I followed the development of that one for years, watched it turn from a top-down 2D RTS into an "exciting" fully 3D version and then watched the awful final version bomb completely. The only redeeming quality of this game is its strange soundtrack. ;)

SWGB was just goofy. I haven't played it much because it reminded me too much of Age of Empires and I don't particularly like that series. Darth Vader running around some battlefield lightsabering folks was also too corny for me to deal with lol.

Empire at War is a combination of completely awful ground combat, interesting but extremely limited space combat, and a super simplistic strategic Rebellion-wannabe campaign. The game is only good for its multiplayer space combat, I'd say, because it is so easy to jump into (simple/effective/quick).

Edited by swaaye

• 2 months later...
  • 2 years later...