Home

Star War Infinities

guybroom

First off - this is my first time posting in the EU forums.

I got the starwars infinities series a few weeks ago and I'm wondering if anyone else has them.

They are about the OT and they are what would happen if thing went slightly differently.

If anyone has them I would be intrested to know what you all think of them.

Originally posted by guybroom

I got the starwars infinities series a few weeks ago and I'm wondering if anyone else has them.

They are about the OT and they are what would happen if thing went slightly differently.

*Guybroom, I would like to *officially*welcome you to the EU forum !!! :D

*I myself havent read infinities, I now have a mortgage, and therefore no money left to buy comix !! :( StarWarsPhreak may know more, he seems to be up with the comix side of things :)

*Feel free to have a go at our SW EU trivia quiz. You'll see it stuck at the top of the main page :)

*what might be cool is if you can give us a description of what parts of infinities you've read and whats its all about. I myself dont know much about it and am quite interested to know more :)

*hope to see more of you :)

mtfbwya

Thanks for the welcoming commity. I already feel like one of the gang :D

The star wars infinities are of the OT - I dont think there are any for the PT yet as EP 3 isnt out. I expect they will make them for the prequals some time soon.

The opening to the ESB version is:

You know the story. Everybody knows the story. But what if the story changed - even just a little? What would happen to the characters? What would happen to the starwars galaxy?

Within the "expanded universe" - the novels, short stories, radio dramas, and graphic novels that cover the continuing (or untold) adventures of the starwars cast of characters - the continuity established in the films strictly adhered to. The events in the motion pictures are the canon law to which every author must follow.

But within the Infinities line, those laws can be broken... carfully one at a time.

The rules are very simple: Take the events oand characters from one of the classic starwars films, throw in one happenstance, mishap, or techinal glitch beyond the characters' control and watch how that changes everything.

There is more to the explaination but it is about what happened in ANH so i guess it's a spoiler.

Sorry there's so much to read but i'm only quoting what it says.

In Dark Horse's first foray into infinities (A New Hope), luke skywalker's valient torpedo attack on the Death Star failed due to a faulty detonator - an event no one could have forseen - and the rebellion was dealt a debilitating setback.

In infinities - The Empire Strikes Back, the fates once again conspire against Luke and his companions. But see for yourself...

I hope that helps you understand what they are about.

They are each one on their own, they are not continuing from each other. So Astroy, if you see them, get one on its own.

I think they are $12.95 or £8.95 - depending if your a yank or a brit.

So back to the original question: anyone out there got them?

An interesting idea, with an utterly ridiculous outcome and direction.

For example:

ANH Inifinities:

Okay, so Luke misses, fine. But then Yoda decides to kill billions by crashing the Death Star into Palpatine's house? So the "Jedi Master" is now a genocidal suicide bomber? Yeah right.

ESB Infinities:

Okay cool, but really goes nowhere. It's like they were on a time crunch of this one. At least ANH Infinities covered events that would have encompassed the whole trilogy. This one doesn't really even have an ending, leaving you hanging... This one seems more of an excuse to show Boba Fett unmasked, which is no big deal now because we've seen AOTC and we already know he's not a horribly disfigured alien or robot or something. Exploding Water Monster? Uh, sure...

ROTJ Infinities:

Darth Vader paints his armor white and joins the Rebellion?! WHATEVER!!!

Basically they take what could have happened and mostly ignore it in favor of the most wildly improbable alternative outcomes for the movie stories. So, I see them as a wasted opportunity. Thank goodness I didn't buy any of them (read them in the stores).

Kurgan ! You read the entire series in the stores... Either theyre very short comics or you are one of *those people* who sit in a store and read things from start to finish :p

That ROTJ one sounds hilarious! Are they meant to be serious or a send up, or do they unwittingly accomplish both :p

If I did have the $$$ for comics I would re-establish my KOTOR era TPB collection, the Thrawn Trilogy TPBs and the Xwing series TPBs ..... they were all damn *awesome*

Thanks for the input guybroom :) Have you read any of those I mentioned above, the artwork and writing is just top notch on them, IMO :D

mtfbwya

Originally posted by Astrotoy7

Kurgan ! You read the entire series in the stores... Either theyre very short comics or you are one of *those people* who sit in a store and read things from start to finish :p

That ROTJ one sounds hilarious! Are they meant to be serious or a send up, or do they unwittingly accomplish both :p

If I did have the $$$ for comics I would re-establish my KOTOR era TPB collection, the Thrawn Trilogy TPBs and the Xwing series TPBs ..... they were all damn *awesome*

Thanks for the input guybroom :) Have you read any of those I mentioned above, the artwork and writing is just top notch on them, IMO :D

mtfbwya

I have not read any of the EU comics. I'm not even sure what TPBs are.

I hope to read more in the future but i may not be able to at the moment. but anyone know where to start off?

Originally posted by Astrotoy7

It's easy. Comic books are the shortest of all "literature." Unless you're pouring over the artwork it doesn't take long at all. Barnes & Noble is built for it, they give you comfy chairs and stuff to sit on while you read. ; )

The fact that they are non-canon, nonwithstanding, they are apparently meant to be serious. There is some humor in it, but then there's that in the other "serious" stories in the EU and G-Level canon too.

Originally posted by StarWarsPhreak

TPBs are an entire comic series put in one (for example: part 1 - 4 of Council of Blood in one book). They are far superior than buying each part as they are released.

When I was growing up we called the 'comic books put into a collection' "graphic novels." It made sense to us because "novels" were longer than strips or magazines (and individual comics were closer to that than novels).

I never heard of trade paperbacks (unless you mean like those mini-comic collections that actually do have a paperback like-soft cover, like the ESB comic collection.... a "comics digest").

Now I guess some people (nerds) call ALL comic books "graphic novels" (since "comic" implies comedy or children's cartoons, which only make up a small number of actual comic books)...

Of course in mainstream lingo, they are called "magazines" (Marvel Comics magazines, DC Comics magazines, etc).

Then again, I guess to fans, that would be like calling action figures "Dolls" (which is also a mainstream term).

Technically true, but not the preferred term. ; )

Whatever! The ones I read were the big collection thingies. Our library has a lot of them too, so I sometimes grab a few and catch up on the stories to see if they are any good.

Originally posted by Kurgan

When I was growing up we called the 'comic books put into a collection' "graphic novels." It made sense to us because "novels" blahblahblahIliketowritelongposts

If you go here. Look down some, and you'll see "Star Wars Tales #5 TPB." (Speaking of which, I'll need to pick that up when I get the money.) Above it, you'll have "Star Wars Takes #22." The TPB Tales is a bunch of "tales parts" put together.

The same thing goes for regular stories.

See? The comics are releaed in parts for like 3 bucks. TPB are all those parts put together for like $15.

You call it whatever you want, but that's what Dark Horse calls them. ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Ooooh - double posting! That can't be good for an admin.

Well I think the Infinities is not especially serious but is not a comedy.

There are a couple of sections where they make comments about the films. But its mostly pretty serious.

I can't win! If I had combined those two, somebody would have made a wisecrack about my "Force Long Posting" (which StarWarsPhreak did anyway).

;)

Good point. It's not "Dark Horse Graphic Novels" or "Dark Horse Magazines"...

Posted by Kurgan

ROTJ Infinities:

spoiler:

yadda yadda

Hey. Did Dark Horse actually publish that? I never saw that. A couple years ago I wrote to Dark Horse and presented a similar idea. Of course I'm not so deluded into thinking they just ripped off my idea. I don't know what happens in that version, but in mine:

Emperor P kills Luke with Force Lightening. Rebels fail to destroy DS2. Darth Vader is deeply saddened by Luke's death and turns to the light side. Kenobi's ghost appears and directs him to join the rebellion. Anakin (formerly Vader) tries to join rebellion, but is rejected for his former murderous ways.

I never finished the idea because Dark Horse told me that they couldn't use the concept. They said that their contract with Lucasfilm prohibits them from making it. Only Lucasfilm can present ideas.

Do you have any links for that comic?

• 4 weeks later...

I shouldn't say I just go to the bookstore, read everything and then go home empty handed. It's more like just a few comics (which is all they typically have anyway, the latest few collections). I wouldn't sit and read your average 300+ page SW novel that way.

I never bought a lot of the comics I read. I didn't buy the AOTC novelisation anyway. My library has copies of 'em.

I can read them at my leisure for free and return them, no problems. ;)

If I'm not collecting them and I'm only going to read them once anyway, what's the big deal? It's not illegal, and me not buying those comics isn't going to put the Star Wars franchise out of business. I own more than a handful of SW EU sources, and there's just no way I can afford them all, even the ones that look interesting.

That's my problem too. i would read the EU but i dont have the money.

I also dont have the time. I have to work for tests and stuff so i have little free time at the moment and that i spend i dont waste on the EU (i dont mean that by saying the EU is worthless - but there are more important/better things to do) - thats why i dont get on the forums as much as id like

Archived