Home

About X-Wing Series

Guest Fondas

Guest Fondas

There are a lot of new members asking about an add-on or a new game.

I just wanted to reassure them that the only reason that we, the old members, are nit nugging about it, it's because we've done so a dozen of times before... wink.gif

Let's just forget LA politics, the withdrawal of TG, etc. etc.

If there was going to be another X-Wing game, what would you like included ?

AFAIC,

1. Great graphics

2. Corrected Capital Ships'length

3. Deflector shields that are closer to the books. (yes I'm talking about ISDs' globes wink.gif

4. Realistic damages, not the % styles we're used to, especially to capital ships.

5. Total control over the fighters, be able to land the craft into hangars, manualy.

6. Fuels !!!

7. Non-linear missions

I'm sure there are a lot of ideas out there, let's hear them !

------------------

"No matter how pretty the bait,

a hook is still a hook !"

TZG+7

Hmmm. For me, it would have to have the kind of replayability the venerable Elite had. Now THERE was a game! Endless replayability, massive universe, decent flight dynamics, and several ways to make an income. It's sad that after such a really awesome game got made that game developers ran away from it screaming. The idea of a persistent game universe with continuing replay shouldn't be a new idea to these people, but they never code a game to do that. Instead, when it ends, the game shuts down.

My wish list would include true continuing playability, maybe like Wing Commander Privateer, with the option to buy multiple vehicles, maybe a spacestation of my own, with more options activating after that. A cross between the Privateer games and the poorly thought out "X-Beyond the Frontier" would be a good example.

Being able to mod ship designs and weapons loadouts (plus locations) to add ships from the old West End Games Star Wars series would be fun too. I'm sure anyone who's ever played that game has either modded the stock ships, or come up with some real beauties on their own. Being able to whip up your own ship design would really enhance the gaming experience. smile.gif

Guest Darth Massacator

Hmmmmmm, I like the ideas so far, here's what I'd like to see:

1.) An improved Battle of Yavin mission (granted, Ace & Abolisher are working on one).

2.) Perhaps a few land-based missions like Rogue Squadron ....only with better physics.

3.) In fact, why not include all the movie-based historical missions?

4.) Make asteroids hazardous, instead of pretty looking kernels of dried dog food that pose no hazard unless your flying 150+ with your eyes closed.

5.) Perhaps a limited use afterburner?

Well, all the ideas I'd have, have already been posted. I'd definately want good graphics and playability. And I'd also like to lose the linear mission style, add a bit of variety and flexibility to the game.

Also, maybe a lot of communication from the pilots, and your own character. You know, able to send messages over the intercom, and hear them as well.

Fondas listed most of what I'd want, so that's all I can say on this really.

Guest garyah99

In addition to Fondas' list, I'd like to see some sort of closure to the XWA story lines regarding Uncle Antan and the Viraxo. Maybe a diverging storyline that might include cameo appearances by beloved Star Wars charactes ie; going on a quest for Obi-Wan or something to that effect.

[This message has been edited by garyah99 (edited August 13, 2001).]

Keep in mind that you have to watch how dangerous you make the cap ships. A good example of this is in Freespace 2, where the cap ships have this evil killing laser that is designed *specifically* for shooting down fighter-sized ships. You hear a hollow-sounding wail coming from off to a side, and suddenly your view spins, your shields are being quickly pummeled down to 0, and if you don't get out of it's effect, you WILL DIE before the beam cuts off. While it may be more *realistic*, it also means you don't go anywhere NEAR cap ships in combat, which sorta goes against the grain where Star Wars is concerned, y'know? wink.gif

Guest Darth Massacator

That big evil, laser in Freespace 2 is for capital ships against capital ships, although running into them is no fun at all smile.gif

I agree with Jeldren though about the capital ships. In XvsT they were quite a threat, but in XWA, they're not much of a threat at all.

1.manual landings

2.better capital ships

3.When not in a mission be able to move around your ship a bit. say go to the hanger check on your ship, your quaters, and the mess hall (also talk to some people)

4.being able to join a squadron and fly one type of ship. (ie I join red squad and fly only X-wings until I ask for a transfer)

5.canopies that can open

6.able to plot hyperspace routes.

7.Hyperspace travel varying depending on distance

8. a dynamic caimpaing no more you have to win every mission or else you won't go anywhere

9.after reaching a rank being able to create a squadron, and pic your fighter for good.

10.Have scramble missions where you immediatly launch no briefing.

11.realistic damage, a turbolaser should disable my shields but chance of hitting me would be small.

12.an AI that would retreat if necessary.

13.actual medals that have to be earned not just because your at a certain point in the game.

14.nonlinear, you can defect if you want to.

15.interesting missions like infiltrate an imperial squadron and send info to the rebels.

16, when docking with a station actual docking entering a hanger.

17. more transport missions (I like flying freighters)

------------------

"Dulce bellum inexpertis."

(Sweet is war to those who have never experinced it.) Roman Proverb

How about this, maybe you are a bounty hunter or a solo alliance fighter and you gain credit for ships you kill or bountys you capture, and you have the ability to upgrade your ship, maybe walk around in the cruiser you are stationed in smile.gif Then later as a bounty hunter join up with the rebels, and as your rank goes up perhaps you get the ability to call for more reinforcements or command your own specific squadron and take care of their crafts and armaments too. Make it so that a single bwing can not take out an ssd on its own given the proper amount of time smile.gif And improved in game ability to make skirmishes (Im bad with editors). Anything like this would be awesome

Or u could have an imperial game where u start off as a stormtrooper, and work your way up , getting better ships, until u r a general, and having your own star destroyer. In a star destroyer, you should be able to deploy fleets of TIE fighters & stormtroopers and stuff...

All of those ideas are good, but you guys forgot one major part.

A mission editor ingame! The skirmish mode just is specific enough. I want more depth to more missions I created. Briefings, debriefings, place crafts, setting flight colors, setting when message appears (so I don't have to role play everything in my coop missions), etc.

Also while at it, more music tracks please! I liked that attack on the death star music (A new hope) and I would like to see it plays when you play the new Battle of Yavin.

Should we also have an option to include gunners too? Maybe let the falcon hold 4 people.

Guest Fondas

Ahem !...

JK style ? Star Destroyer captain ?

There are good ideas, but for totally different game genres !

X-wing series is about Space Combat Simulation.

Guest Darth Massacator

Fondas, weren't you the one who asked me about the X36 USB stick by Saitek quite some time ago? If you're the one, did you ever pick one up, or are you still using the X36 analog?

[This message has been edited by Darth Massacator (edited August 23, 2001).]

Guest Fondas

Yeap n' Nope !!! wink.gif

I still have my X36 analog, which by the way is not working now.

The reason is that Saitek's representatives here suck big time !!

Because of that, I'm thinking getting a Sidewinder 2 . What do you think ?

Guest Darth Massacator

I dunno, I'm kinda burnt on the USB X36. It ran great for the first year I had it, but now my throttle only goes to 93%, not 100%. I even switched out my throttle with my old analog one to see if it was the hardware ....nope! And since it's a digital stick, I can't spoof windows into recalibrating it to ignore whatever glitch is occuring.

I'm totally guessing, but I think their latest software conflicts with DX8a because everything ran fine up until then. It's too bad too 'cuz I loved the X36 series.

I'm not sure what stick I'm gonna get next. Probably the Sidewinder 2 since I probably won't have to sweat any incompatibilities.

Hi, I've been on the XWAU forums for a while, and I finally decided to register here as well. Anyway, I was thinking of a few things that haven't been mentioned that I would like to see in a new game:

1. Directional damage. i.e. if you get hit in the laser cannon, you won't take much damage, but that cannon won't work anymore.

2. "Zoned" shields. i.e. a visible bubble (like in Starfighter) surrounding the ship, but that takes directional damage.

3. Complete game editor provided with the game. i.e. a program that could edit missions, ships, briefings, and any other possible feature.

4. 24-bit textures that don't have to be resized to powers of two (is that even possible?)

5. Better battle damage. i.e. when a torpedo hits a ship, it actually takes a chunk out of it.

6. Fighter's lasers would have little or no effect on capships.

7. 3D explosions

8. Better shockwave damage. i.e. when a large ship blows up next to you, it not only hurts you, but sends you spinning as well.

Originally posted by BattleDog:

Ok, this is real important, After Burner! In WC you lock the burners, go in, shut off the burners and start fighting, and if you loose burners or you run out of fuel your screwed.

As far as I'm concerned, the only thing that MUST NOT HAPPEN is for burners to be included. They are totally un-Star Wars for one thing. Secondly, they make power management much less important in the game. In the X-wing games, I adjust my power settings dozens of times per mission. In Wing Commander, StarLancer, etc., I never do, because the burners make it more or less pointless to do so. I think it makes combat more sophisticated to leave it out.

[This message has been edited by Keyan Farlander (edited August 26, 2001).]

Archived