Home

Pandemic programmers or developers please respond!!

Emyrs

Hi. Any Pandemic programmers or developers, I need your expertise, please. First off let me say I think SWBF is a fantastic game. Cheers to all of you. Also let me thank you in advance for any assistance you give me, it is much appreciated! :-} That being said lets get down to bussiness shall we?

This is in regard to Star Wars Battlefront for the P.C. with 1.2 patch enabled.

Star Wars Battlefront for the P.C. has an auto-aim/aim-helper when used with a gamepad or joystick. Correct?

The aim helper feature is apparent only when using ANY kind of gamepad in congunction with specific character classes in SWBF. (Ex. any class WITHOUT a splash damage weapon.)

There is no aim helper feature for ANY class whan using a keyboard & mouse. Also as I said, the aim helper feature does not apply when using a gamepad/joystick with any charater class WITH a splash damage weapon.

I would PLEASE like to know why the aim helper was implemented in SWBF only with a gamepad in conjunction with specific character classes?

Because of the specific way the aim-helper was implemented into the game I'm led to believe that it was put there as compensation if you use a gamepad/joystick as opposed to a keyboard & mouse.

I NEED to know if the aim-helper was included for a reason.

If indeed it was included to compensate for the difference between a keyboard and mouse & a gamepad.

Or if it was just a mistake or oversight.

There is also a command line that can be used to disable the aim-helper for a gamepad. It is not endorsed by either Pandemic or Lucas Arts.

The command line is:

The command is /noaim and have to be added in the APP_COMMAND_LINE_BASIC on the file "battlefront server.ini", contained in the root Dedicated Server Folder.

I have played on servers that have the aim-feature both turned on and off.

When the no aim command is implemented on a server it completly negates the aim-helper feature that is originally in SWBF for a gamepad.

Personally I think that if the aim-helper is turned off & you use a gamepad than any of the non-splash damage classes are at a distinct disadvantage.

Which is why I believe the aim-helper was intentional.

Basically I just need a difinitave answer as to wether the aim-helper is intentional or otherwise. If it is considered a "cheat" by Pandemic or not.

Is the game MEANT to be played with the aim-helper & why?

Thank you VERY very much.

Sincerly,

An active & concerned member of the SWBF community

sounds like someone has done more research than the clan that simply just does not like gamepads. Everywhere I go is his anti gamepad sermon.

Sound like you made a call to Pandemic offices??

It's in there for a reason...and is meant to be there.

I know people who use gamepads and I still can beat them more times than they beat me and i use kb/m. I say leave it in there...where Pandemic says it should be. Then if the pad users get owned...we can laugh!

It's worth a call to Pandemic if you want to get the facts right people.

***would be nice for Pandemic to step up and tell everyone publicly there stance on it now.

Originally posted by bounty8

sounds like someone has done more research than the clan that simply just does not like gamepads.

FIRST ERROR:

We do not like 2 things:

- people that use cheats and similar things

- people that didn't say nothing after the discovering of this problem, but on the contrary hided it like a secret.

Everywhere I go is his anti gamepad sermon.

SECOND ERROR:

It's not an antigamepad sermon, but an anticheater sermon.

But now, that the problem is on the eyes of the public, the problem is finished.

Why?

Because:

- the community know it

- all the tournaments now use the /noaim command, so noone will continue to have unfair advantages

- server admins now can choose themselves if leave autoaim active or not.

Howether, if you want to ask them why they leave this feature in the pc version, ask it.

I only know that one week ago i sent a mail to lucasarts for asking some explanation on this and they didn't send any answer.

P.S:

Just for curiosity, Emyr and bounty8, what is your ingame nick?

getting awful defensive fds. "We do not like two things". So, this is just a clan war thing that I guess I'm not meant to be a part of. Your clan doesn't like something so you spout out inaccurate accusations and bogus corrections to a problem that doesn't even exist? If you were a decent enough player with kb/m you wouldn't really care now would you?

You have a telephone. At least I would hope you do. Call Pandemic yourself. :D

I say just one little thing:

there is auto-aim for gamepad users, but there isn't for kb/m users... why? Why make this sort of discrimination between players? Shouldn't we all have the same rights? Why, so, some people should get an advantage upon others?

If someone chose to play with a controller NOT made for this kind of game, then he have to accept the conseguences. These are the obvious fact that he would have an handicap in aiming and moving.

I wonder why the hell someone should play an fps with a gamepad. A keyboard and a mouse are plugged to EVERY pc in the world, so it's the natural control system araound, there's no need to chose/buy a more imprecise controller, like a gamepad.

It's like you wanna swim with a metal armor suite... :lol:

Originally posted by bounty8

You have a telephone. At least I would hope you do. Call Pandemic yourself. :D

Telephone calls they cost, here we have a beautiful bboard, why can't we use it for what is meant for? :D

Go on, ppl, ask whatever you want to Pandemic here... until it concernes SWB, though. ;)

Well I'm glad people look at the front page :D

It's something Pandemic should respond to, however - we don't have many Pandemic devs just hanging around for fun. :p

Originally posted by Jed

we don't have many Pandemic devs just hanging around for fun. :p

LOL :p

The.Grem answered to you, bounty8.

Howether, if you want to call pandemic, you have a telephone, right?

Then, like you said...

Call Pandemic yourself.

:)

First of all, it is still in determination as to wether the aim-helper IS a cheat.

Neither Pandemic nor Lucas Arts have made an OFFICIAL statement as to wether it is or isn't.

Until they do, saying that aim-helper is or is not a cheat is a matter of personal opinion. Period.

Yes I did call Pandemic & I spoke to one of the developers of SWBF.

I was told that the AIM_ASSIST is NOT a mistake. That SWBF was MEANT to be played with aim-assist on with a gamepad & that it was to compensate for the better turning & recticle speed of a keyboard & mouse, among other things. I was told that it was not a cheat in anyway shape or form.

I was told the game should be played AS IS. As this is what was intended.

I was told that a fix would have been included into update 1.2 if the gamepad AIM-ASSIST was not meant to be as is.

I did not say that in my original post as I have no proof. Nothing to point at and say "See." Me telling you that someone else supposedly told me.

In other word hearsay. I called. This is what they said. Believe it or not as you choose. Bettey yet, don't take my word for it, find out for yourself.

Help us all find out for ourselves. I urge you all to call Pandemic and request an official response to this issue

I asked Pandemic if they would release an official statement on their position. I was told by Pandemic's representitive that he would consulte with other programmers/developers & check into the possibility. He also suggested that I post in these forums to get a response from other Pandemic SWBF people. Hence this forum.

So I ask Pandemic publicly, here, please give an official response.

The intention & goal of both my phone call & this post is to get a final & official verdict to this issue. To stop the petty bickering & personal bias's which most of you seem to insist & persist in engaging in.

I Sincerely hope that the entire SWBF community will get both answers & closuer to this issue.

Thank you,

An active & concerned member of the SWBF community.

The command line to turn off gamepad aim-assist is: /noaim and has to be added in the APP_COMMAND_LINE_BASIC on the file "battlefront server.ini", contained in the root Dedicated Server Folder.

That command line is neither developed nor endorsed by either Pandemic or Lucas Arts. It is of a third party origin. Someone or ones (I'm assuming) that didn't like the original feature & wanted to change it for their own personal use & preference.

However it's escalated past that now.

There is a biased misconception that now that the command line is available, it must be used or it's cheating. In some formal competitions the command line has to be implemented now.

But why?

THERE IS NO EVIDENCE OR OFFICIAL STATEMENT BY EITHER PANDEMIC NOR LUCAS ARTS STATING THAT IT SHOULD OR SHOULD NOT BE USED.

Wether it's cheating or not, & wether to use the command line or not, is & should be a personal PREFERENCE & OPINION.

Formal SWBF competitions should be played with NO bias by SWBF participants & ABSOLUTLY NO interference of third party programs.

You don't change the size of the hoop because you don't like the size of the official basketball. At least in official competitions.

SWBF should be played as originaly designed & intended. Until Pandemic & Lucas Arts specify otherwise. At least in official competitions.

Thank you,

An active & concerned member of the SWBF community.

Originally posted by Fds

SECOND ERROR:

It's not an antigamepad sermon, but an anticheater sermon.

But now, that the problem is on the eyes of the public, the problem is finished.

Why?

Because:

- the community know it

- all the tournaments now use the /noaim command, so noone will continue to have unfair advantages

- server admins now can choose themselves if leave autoaim active or not.

Again & I'm sorry if I'm reapeating myself. That is an OPINION.

As everyone knows opinions are like assholes & this guy is one (COUGHS! AHEM!) I mean everyone has one.

This is mine for what it's worth.

First off anticheating is a personal opinion.

Secondly you shouldn't "sermonize" & neither should I.

The statement that aim-assist was a "problem" in the first place is completly dependent upon your point of view or opinion. ( I'm starting to hate that word)

Same goes with that this issue is "Finished"

It very obviously is not, nor will it be until an official release is made.

"Unfair Advantages" is a matter of opinion.

It can be said that a keyboard & mouse have an advantage over a gamepad now.

Personally I believe that the assualt classes have now become unbalanced when using s gamepad due to deviation of the original game design by third pary intervention & personal predjuces.

These are MY opinions only.

Officially I maintain that this issue is unresolved until an Official response is made by the proper groups or persons.

Sorry for ranting folks. I love SWBF & I feel passionatly about this subject.

Thanx for listening,

A very exausted & finger-sore member of the SWBF community.

Originally posted by Emyrs

The command line to turn off gamepad aim-assist is: /noaim and has to be added in the APP_COMMAND_LINE_BASIC on the file "battlefront server.ini", contained in the root Dedicated Server Folder.

That command line is neither developed nor endorsed by either Pandemic or Lucas Arts. It is of a third party origin. Someone or ones (I'm assuming) that didn't like the original feature & wanted to change it for their own personal use & preference.

Eeh?

Just tell me, then, how the hell it's been coded in the game, if not by the developers themselves... maybe is there a kind of spirit haunting the server side routines of the game? A beetlejuice-linecoded in the very core of the game?

If not the developers, who could have been made that command line available? Do you really think that some one crept in the pandemic studios at night and written down a secret noautoaim-routine?

It's a mysterious thing, isn't?

Please tell me, i miss many things about...

THE.GREM.

Are you a Pandemic representitive?

Is there anything anywhere that proves conclusivly that Pandemic put it there?

But hey, we'll just say for arguments sake that Pandemic DID put it there.

Is it publicly & officially endorsed by them?

If not. Why not?

THE.GREM.

Are you a Pandemic representitive?

Is it publicly & officially endorsed by them?

If not. Why not?

And then who put the command in the game?

Santa Claus?

LOL :D

If pandemic developed the game and it is in the game, it's obviously that they put it in.

Read here the post made by pad:

http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=144535

THE.GREM.

argh..the opposite question is more racional!

Emyrs, 5 posting, u joined this forum just for this thread?

just wondering.. it must be very important for you this topic.....

Are you kidding? doubt.gif

There are plenty of things and options not documented in the game, as in any other piece of software, but this doesn't mean at all that it's a third party routine.

Pandemic developed the game, so the /noaim option it's a Pandemic thing, as the autoaim itself.

I call to all the community and server admin to put the /noaim line in the hosted games, for the times being.

While I agree that FPS games do generally play better with a keyboard+mouse and you can get better precision with a good mouse for aiming (I know dedicated console players find it hard to adjust to keys/mouse just as dedicated pc gamers find it hard to adapt to gamepads for aiming in such games), face it...

SWBF is primarily a console game, that was ported to the PC. Console gamers by and large are playing this game with gamepads and joysticks. In fact, I would hazard to say most SWBF players in general are using these controllers.

So it's not that crazy for there to be gamepad support remaining in the PC port of this console game.

I say use whatever is best. As to the auto aiming thing, well the option is there to turn it off, so I don't see the big deal. It's not a cheat, it's an option.

Of course it's an option, you sarcastic fool.

One of the main questions are, should it be used in official competitions?

Also is the aim-assist an advantage or an equalizer between kb/m & a gamepad.

Do try to stay up on the subject hmm.

Oh, & try to find someone who has some real answers & not sarcastic swill merchant babble.

Archived