Home

Your First RPG?

Derc

Okay people. Try to remember to the first time you've discovered the RPG genre. This can be the first game of its type you've played, or the first one that made a significant impact on your view of RPGs in general.

My first RPG would have to be Super Mario RPG: Legends of the Seven Stars in 1996.

Although I probably played one RPG before(hence why I thought Mario + RPG = instant win), I know that this was the first of its kind to actually "WOW" me.

The First RPG I ever Played was Tombs & Tresure for NES Released in 1986. It was quest through Mayan Ruins, lots of puzzles. I played that game so many times that I could probably still remember how to finnish it. I have played alot of great RPGS But the ones that really stand out for me are:

Legend of Zelda NES

Immortals NES

Secret of Mana SNES

Chrono trigger SNES

FInal Fantasy 3 SNES

Final Fantasy 7 Playstaion

System shock 2 PC

PS:T PC

I know you didn't ask for a list but those are the old Favorites that stand out in my mind. ;)

well, with the exception of kotor, i've never really had much of a desire to play rpg's. the whole idea of your character attacking and defending themselves through the role of a dice is just..... well..... its weird.

i've always been one to want to use your own reaction times and skill with the mouse to control the damage you take and the damage that you dish out. thus, the only rpg's that i've even bothered to play is kotor, then fable, then kotor2. thats it.

i'm not sure what i'd do now if i played any of the FF series. i probably wouldn't like the combat, though. the whole turn-based thing just really irritates me to no end. at least it feels like the combat is real-time in kotor (even if it really is turn-based).

The Legend of Zelda is still one of the ones that stick in my mind (though not my first).

As a once cellar-dwelling, pen & paper RPG'er from way back... D&D held it's roots with me. Anytime I saw a D&D pc game, it was mine. Most back then were created by SSI, and I probably still have a few laying around... Ravenloft, was one of my favs (both pnp module & pc game)...

The first "major" RPG, that I still play from time to time is Baldur's Gate I & II... *sigh* memories...

And of course, the NeverWinter Nights (still my all-time fav) & IceWind Dale Series ...

NES - Wizards and Warriors.

Then Genesis - Phantasy Star

Then SNES - Wizardry

Then PC - Legend of Kesmai (Until that EA Zerg bought and closed it!)

From there I went to Asherons Call and became a Sentinel (Game Admin) until Anarchy Online came out, then Dark Age of Camelot, then Shadowbane, Then Back to Anarchy Online, then Alpha/Beta in Dark n Light and Lineage2.

Now I am here, and will probably be here for awhile.

sadly enought my 1st rpg was on the super nes called Super Mario RPG. i didnt know wtf an rpg was back then but looking back i just realized it =P

after that came ff7 but i didnt finish that then came ff8 now that i finished.

of course i stopped playing console games after playing ff8, why? the pc came to my life =D

• 2 weeks later...
Originally posted by Xenocidal

Dont laugh ( im fourteen first was wen i was 9) but it was a pokemon game for a gameboy ( turns red and cries):cry6:

Bwahahahahahahaha :rofl: (j/k)

No worries though. It was a good RPG (go Blue version!). But, now, there are like 750 pokemon now...so...

Hey, at least Nintendo is finally making a 3D Pokemon RPG!(or so I read).

Originally posted by Rogue15

Also Morrowind. morrowind had me hooked forever.

Hell yes. Easily 100+ hours spent on that. A completist's nightmare. I never got around to full completion...and I never finished the expansions...*sigh*

Well, maybe I'll just wait for Oblivion now...

i beat the main quest....the expansions i couldn't do cause i had to spend time levelling my character...cause...i disrupted the main quest in morrowind and had to take the crappy back-road, which brought my character's health down to near-nothing, and i had to forge this health armor just to keep him battle-ready. :D

Now I played Galaxies/JTL on my new pc. My first MMORPG, and it's brilliant. :D will keep me for a good year or so.

I'll have to go with Dungeon Master (white lines on black background are so... je ne sais quoi), Eye of the Beholder (1), Wizardry (1 or 2, can't remember and I am no longer sure that there was a considerable difference) and Ultima (1) (I'm not sure I ever completed anyone of these). Although they never really hooked me the same way that Legend of Zelda III - A Link to the Past did. Yeah, I liked the dynamic adventures more - thus KOTOR rules!

Then there were The Secret of Monkey Island, Monkey Island 2: LeChucks Revenge, Sam n´ Max Hit the Road, Day of the Tentacle... ahh, the good old days when games were actually completed by the developers...

ZELDA was the was the bomb ./. but i dont know if u can classify it as an rpg i mean the battle system did take a tiny bit of skill where as most rpg is turn based dice throwing crap.

first rpg: final fantasy III/VI or pokemon(sigh)

first rpg ever finished: chrono trigger

no. of rpgs played: 20ish (excludin zelda games)

no. of rpgs finished: 5 (chrono trigger, chrono chross, ff 9, kotor1 and kotor2)

thats a pretty poor ratio but turn based games are so freakin boring after a while unless the story gets really good or its a mind blowing game like kotor (with the star wars logo printed in big shiny gold letters)

• 1 month later...

There is nothing to laugh at.

Pokemon was and still is a great and innovative(when it came out, because now, wow, when you can spawn clones, you can spawn tonnes of them).

Too bad the crappy anime serie turned it into kiddy stuff, not to mention the crappy spin-off games.

My first RPG was the awesome Secret of Mana.

HHHHmmmmmm...

There were two:

Baldur's Gate

AND

Deus Ex (it rocks!)

Dont laugh ( im fourteen first was wen i was 9) but it was a pokemon game for a gameboy ( turns red and cries)

It's OK, I'm not laughing.:D

Now I played Galaxies/JTL on my new pc. My first MMORPG, and it's brilliant. will keep me for a good year or so.

I would like to play Galaxies too...:( But I don't care, since I got KOTOR 1 and 2 (3 coming all the way):D:emodanc:

Archived