Home

What class to take?

Darth_ToMeR

In my first game I played Light Side Jedi Guardian/Watchman.

Now I'm planning to play Dark Side. I have never played as consular (not even in Kotor I) or Jedi Master/Sith Lord.

Should I play as Guardian/Lord, or Consular/Marauder, or Sentinel/Marauder?

Also, does Marauder has Force Jump?

to be honest though, you might want to match up classes a bit. consular/sith lord or consular/jedi master would be a good idea since they all focus on force powers. and trust me, you get some serious force point benefits. i was only at lvl 26 and i had something like 600FP. even if you're lightside, with such a massive force point reserve, using offensive darkside powers is almost meaningless. the same works if your darkside and you want to use the heal power.

of course, if you match up guardian/weapon master or guardian/marauder, then you'll be close to invincible in combat due to a massive pool of vitality.

but, if you want to mix and match, then feel free. i just think it would be weird to go from a force master to a weapons master or visa versa. :)

Originally posted by stingerhs

to be honest though, you might want to match up classes a bit. consular/sith lord or consular/jedi master would be a good idea since they all focus on force powers. and trust me, you get some serious force point benefits. i was only at lvl 26 and i had something like 600FP. even if you're lightside, with such a massive force point reserve, using offensive darkside powers is almost meaningless. the same works if your darkside and you want to use the heal power.

of course, if you match up guardian/weapon master or guardian/marauder, then you'll be close to invincible in combat due to a massive pool of vitality.

but, if you want to mix and match, then feel free. i just think it would be weird to go from a force master to a weapons master or visa versa. :)

Maybe I'll take Sentinel/Marauder, to get some FP before the final parts of the game. Do you think this could work?

It is my opinion that the Sentinel starting class is the best class regardless of your prestige. It has very useful abilities and the added skills early on help alot.

My favorite combo is Sentinel/WeaponMaster for the ungodly combat ability and Damage.

The same would hold true for a Marauder. Which can be slightly more powerful than a Weaponmaster.

The bonus for Dark side Guardian mastery is +1d8 damage while light side only gives you +3 strength(which equals to +1 or +2 damage).

Marauders also have Fury.

I agree with Drazin, Sentinel is the perfect class to begin with and with that many skill points, you can have a persuade skill just as great as the one of a consular.

Not to mention that a Sentinel class will make you immune to stun, fear, and paralysis effects, VERY useful for a combat oriented character.

And LukeIAmYourDad, something I've noticed about the stat increases for force mastery, even though it says you have gained +3 whatever at the top of the screen, this bonus is only granted if the character is a prestige class, and in that case the bonus is actually +6 to the stat. So in the case of Weapon Masters, you actually get plus +6 to STR, meaning +3 to your damage AND +3 to your chance to hit (I think you forgot that half).

To truly take advantage of the Sith Lord or Jedi Master, I think it's unwise to skip Consular in favor of a Guardian or Sentinel.

To really take advantage of the force abilities, Master Force Focus is mandatory. It's effectively 8 wisdom for the sake of determining resists versus your powers. For LS, it's 10 given the +3 WIS bonus. :D That easily saves you from having to dump tons of points and item slots into boosting your wisdom for the sake of having marginally effective force powers, at the expense of boosting your STR, DEX and CON.

You'll lose some feats and perhaps skill points, but you'll gain a larger FP total so you can use both LS and DS abilities while pursuing combat abilities as a prestige class. Something the Weapons Master/Sith Marauder can't normally do effectively.

As such, you'll find a Consular->Weapons Master/Marauder a stronger overall character, then a Guardian->Jedi Master/Sith Lord. The same would hold true for a Watchman/Assassin.

I do agree however, the Sentinel is an extremely versatile beginning class. It was my favorite in KOTOR, and remains my favorite in KOTOR 2. With a little bit of forethought, they make effective melee and force combat characters.

The sintinel is indeed quite usefull for the Force immunity feats, though I find force jump to be even more usefull. Especially because some items provide you with the same range of immunities. I wonder if a guardian and sentinel would be any good as a multi-class, instead of a prestige class.

I agree with Elldreon. I just hit my prestige class, and I'm trying to decide between Jedi Master and Weapons Master...my STR and DEX are low [lower than I usually make them] so I'm a bit leery of doing the weapons master, but I don't have a lot of good offensive FP's, so I'm not sure about Jedi Master either.

But I do think Sentinel is probably the best all around starting class in KOTOR and TSL.

:x-wing:

Archived