Home

Have KOTOR2 completed the way Obsidian intended petition

crat0s

After completing Knights of The Old Republic 2, more than a few fans have expressed anger over the final moments of the game. While commercial game reviewers such as IGN and Gamespot gave the game high marks, many fans are now questioning the validity of those ratings. It has become obvious that the game was not completed in the manner originally intended and that much was cut from the game due to time constraints and pressure from LucasArts to have the game released before Christmas of 2004. An outcry against LucasArt's time deadlines and the ramifications it has had on the quality of the game's final quests has been growing.

Lately cut material such as audio clips and scripts have surfaced on the internet:

Audio Clips:

http://forums.obsidianent.com/index.php?showtopic=29764&st=120

Original planned endings:

http://forums.obsidianent.com/index.php?showtopic=29764&st=18

A petition has been made demanding that Lucasarts rectify the situation

http://www.petitiononline.com/kotor2/

Gamespy has written an alternative review of the game after completing it and encountering the last planet that differs radically from that of IGN and Gamespot's high reviews:

http://www.gamespy.com/articles/588/588057p1.html?fromint=1

I beleive the fans should demand that LucasArts make less games so that the ones they do make the developers can put their 100% effort into and have a reasonable timetable to complete them so that the full product comes out and its something people can get alot out of and dont find out later that half of it is missing.

There is no excuse besides petty greed that LucasArts needs to fart out that many games so quickly and practically jam the deadlines down the devs throats. I think the fans who take some much money and time into these games deserve better.

As it is now they just say: "Nope, the game is exactly as the developers wanted it to be, you got the real deal, there is no need to change something that is as it should be. The things you have found that were cut, were cut a long time ago, because we felt they didn't add anything to the game and was unnecessary for the feel of the game and were very restricting for any sequels... and you DO want sequels, don't you our most beloved fans?!".

So, say that either Obsidian or LucasArts goes in and redoes the ending for an expansion or a "Developer's Cut" version, that would mean that they ADMIT they pushed the game out unfinished for christmas just so they could sell more and make more money, meaning they ADMIT they DON'T care about the game or their fans or their gamers. And that is something that I just don't see happening from any publisher/developer ever.

However I signed the petition and hope for a miracle...

Originally posted by montnoir

So, say that either Obsidian or LucasArts goes in and redoes the ending for an expansion or a "Developer's Cut" version, that would mean that they ADMIT they pushed the game out unfinished for christmas just so they could sell more and make more money, meaning they ADMIT they DON'T care about the game or their fans or their gamers. And that is something that I just don't see happening from any publisher/developer ever.

well, i wouldn't say that doing an expansion or a "developer's cut" would actually damage LA or OE very much. you would have the normal flaming and ranting people that come with that kind of territory, but i don't think it would do much in the long run for either one of them.

and personally, i wouldn't think less of either one of them if they would just admit their mistake and correct it. i would, however, continue to think less of them if they don't at least admit that they made the wrong decision to rush the release.

however this thing pans out, i sincerely hope that LA won't rush another game for increased sales at the cost of a truely finished game.

Originally posted by Darth333

A lot of stuff was cut from Kotor 1 too...including a different ending where you would die with Carth onvboard the star forge and a whole level of the VUlkar base (including a very special pazaak player :D)...

Thats true Bioware did Cut Even a whole Planet from KotOR and they left out the Alternate ending, But every quest in K1 was completeable and there were only a few Bugs that could halt a quest.(sand people clothes) I felt there was for the most part a conclusion to the story lines in K1 but in K2 there are obvious gaps in the story and it wasn't to leave the story open for a future sequal.

Personaly I'm waiting to see whats to come of the announced Patch and I hope OE is taking responsibility for its work. Even if they Don't complete the ending I hope they will atleast fix the quest bugs in the game and khoonda Map on Dantooine.

Originally posted by montnoir

I agree with you I highly doubt that any company would admit to such a thing. But it would be the right thing for them to do.

Anyway I signed the petition as well.

I signed the petition. Basically when they say they cut something out a long time ago because supposedly it didnt do much for the story just means that they were rushed to get the game out and took anything out that they didnt feel like spending the time to complete and they just dont want to admit this to the fans. Once the game is out they can always put this stuff back in and even if it doesnt help the story they could at least indulge the fans and put the material in just so the fans could view it and see the game as a whole. I think those guys should just admit their fault because it is by no means a secret and theyre just gonna get more flack if they dont.

you know, i did a bit of searching around in the sound files myself, and low and behold: another possible alternate ending.

if you spared Atris, then she would become Darth Traya instead of Kreia. the game does set this up a bit, but the dialogs are set so that Atris is redeemed or killed instead of escaping to Malachor, which is what this ending would require. now, it uses the exact same dialogs that Kreia uses, so the ending wouldn't be too different.

those guys at OE were getting really creative with the story, and its an absolute shame that this stuff didn't make it into the final product. :(

Originally posted by stingerhs

well, i wouldn't say that doing an expansion or a "developer's cut" would actually damage LA or OE very much. you would have the normal flaming and ranting people that come with that kind of territory, but i don't think it would do much in the long run for either one of them.

Except that this would really piss off the people that bought the xbox version.

Gawd this sucks, I can't even play the game anymore knowing what the ending could have been.... I wonder if a skilled mod'er could get some contributions to work on it. As I see it there is a better chance of that happening then OE redoing the ending.

Originally posted by stingerhs

you know, i did a bit of searching around in the sound files myself, and low and behold: another possible alternate ending.

if you spared Atris, then she would become Darth Traya instead of Kreia. the game does set this up a bit, but the dialogs are set so that Atris is redeemed or killed instead of escaping to Malachor, which is what this ending would require. now, it uses the exact same dialogs that Kreia uses, so the ending wouldn't be too different.

those guys at OE were getting really creative with the story, and its an absolute shame that this stuff didn't make it into the final product. :(

A d**n shame. I really wanted to see more of Atris.

Originally posted by DarthVandar205

I beleive the fans should demand that LucasArts make less games so that the ones they do make the developers can put their 100% effort into and have a reasonable timetable to complete them so that the full product comes out and its something people can get alot out of and dont find out later that half of it is missing.

There is no excuse besides petty greed that LucasArts needs to fart out that many games so quickly and practically jam the deadlines down the devs throats. I think the fans who take some much money and time into these games deserve better.

My thoughts 100%.

Archived