Home

Pcgamer magazine review, 62%

eastcoast2895

okay before anybody screams and calls pcgamer trash, in caption of the 62% is above average so i think it would be 75 - 80 using the gamespot and ign review system.

here is the final verdict blurb

highs: action-packed gameplay; very impressive graphics; decent ai squad

lows: simplistic mission design; bugs abound; plays itself too often

bottom line: if your soul demands that you blast trade federation droids, it'll fit the bill.

one of the biggest things in the review (which i think is the reason for only an above average score) is that it mentions game stopping bugs. not just annoyances that can be circumvented, but game stopping bugs that cause reloading a game. the bugs mentioned are lock-ups, crashes, squadmates getting stuck and having to be killed, boss character stuck behind a wall causing inability to kill him, YOUR weapons dissappearing leaving you defenseless, and command buttons not working.

this to me is strange because neither the ign or gamespot review mention any bugs. BUT both ign and gamespot use the same exact reviews for both xbox and pc and since the xbox came out first it is not farfetched to think that both ign and gamespot only played the xbox version. since pcgamer does not need to review the xbox version, it only played the pc version.

of course all and any bugs can be fixed with a patch and my experience with lucasarts games are that when bugs are found patches are made.

Guest DarthMaulUK

PC gamer must be upset that PC ZONE got exclusives! Either way, you cant trust magazine reviews because most are 'bought' by publishers to increase scores.

As for show stopping bugs on consoles - it will never happen, unless its an extremely difficult one to find/recreate. Both Sony & Microsoft have VERY tight TRC's/TCR's before games can be published.

I deal with magazines and bugs it alot in my work, so im speaking from experience. My advice, try it for yourself!

DMUK

Originally posted by DarthMaulUK

PC gamer must be upset that PC ZONE got exclusives! Either way, you cant trust magazine reviews because most are 'bought' by publishers to increase scores.

With that logic should we then assume the game is actually worse than they say? I know people will make up their own minds, but I find it funny how all the reviews are being discounted as biased. They all give the game high scores, but complain about (and praise) the same things (although the pc bugs is a new one so far).

As for show stopping bugs on consoles - it will never happen, unless its an extremely difficult one to find/recreate. Both Sony & Microsoft have VERY tight TRC's/TCR's before games can be published.

Usually if it happens (rarely, but it does happen) they issue a product recall.

I deal with magazines and bugs it alot in my work, so im speaking from experience. My advice, try it for yourself!

The point is that there are only so many ways to "try out a game" before you buy, without resorting to illegal means. So it's reasonable for those interested to read reviews before they plunk down the $50-$60 for a dud. Most stores these days don't let you return a game simply because you don't like it, or if it's buggy (giving you a replacement copy doesn't help).

The point of all this info is to make people better informed. No amount of bad reviews will stop some people. Jedi Power Battles was universally bashed by critics (and many fans), and yet some people still defended it as their favorite game ever.

The consensus of the reviews thus far seems to be Short but fun & polished looking single player that's a bit on the easy side, average multiplayer with nothing we haven't seen before.

I wonder if people will be as quick to bash our staff writers if they post their own reviews of the game when it comes out? Hopefully not...

Guest DarthMaulUK

In most cases, games that score anything above 70% are considered to be fair and will sell in extra numbers.

I have worked on a handful of totally awful games that needed, lets say 'extra help' to get a better review score. Im not saying that this is always the case but it certainly can be with blockbuster titles that are total rubbish but need a good score so they sell.

In the UK, PC ZONE gave Force Commander 90% when it clearly is total rubbish - but they had an exclusive review and cover mount demo - plus who knows what other deals were lined up!

Most recently, PC ZONE had exclusives for a few EA Titles, one being Battle For Middle Earth - which again - is appalling to play (not going to debate that here) but they gave it 91% and had an exclusive 4 page review plus demo(did anyone notice the giant double page adverts?!). PC Gamer scored it a generous 70% but pointed out all the games flaws.

It's all swings and roundabouts but publishers can and do pay alot of money to ensure some sales success and using magazines is just one way of doing this

DMUK

Originally posted by DarthMaulUK

In the UK, PC ZONE gave Force Commander 90% when it clearly is total rubbish...

Most recently, PC ZONE had exclusives for a few EA Titles, one being Battle For Middle Earth - which again - is appalling to play (not going to debate that here) but they gave it 91%

All I have to say, it's all about gamers' tastes and opinions ;)

I liked FoCom, and I think BFME is awesome.

if you can name some bugs please do because i have jka and i don't seem to have any bugs.

oh and ...jka... after quoting me saying that bugs found patches made i think more elaboration is needed when you mean that you believe bugs are still present because reading that post it seems you meant no patches were made not that bugs are still lingering.

Originally posted by d'spadawan

You don't say....:rolleyes:

Even after the JKA patch, I can think of loads of bugs.

Sorry to turn this into a JKA post, but clearly this person did not understand. Gj Insane...

I'm afraid I don't see your point. Patches were made. Maybe not all bugs were fixed, but patches were made.

And don't be an ass.

Originally posted by eastcoast2895

if you can name some bugs please do because i have jka and i don't seem to have any bugs.

oh and ...jka... after quoting me saying that bugs found patches made i think more elaboration is needed when you mean that you believe bugs are still present because reading that post it seems you meant no patches were made not that bugs are still lingering.

I'm afraid I don't see your point. Patches were made. Maybe not all bugs were fixed, but patches were made.

You are the one who felt the need to argue my point.

MAYBE? maybe bugs are still present?? that's a joke surely.

East, I don't feel the need to "elaborate" as you clearly didn't play the game, since you state "don't seem to have any bugs" and clearly you're wrong.

But, to shut you up, I was not trying to say patches were not made, any idiot knows that they made a patch, I was *trying - keep in mind you're not smart enough to work it out* to say that bugs still exist in the game, and LA know damn right about them, but still no more patches. This isn't a jka topic why must you make me write like it is.

Why do you feel so poor about yourself that you need to insult others for no reason? I suggest you seek help.

Personally I don't care what you think about JKA and whether or not bugs were fixed. All I know is it has patches, therefore what I said is correct, and same with eastcoast. Also notice the word "in my experience" as in what he's experienced. Perhaps he didn't play JKA.

Anyway, please try to overcome your inferiority complex.

Hi?!?! Is this the Republic Commando forum? PC Gamer review thread? Or am I lost ... ?

Anyway, got my mag yesterday ... when I read a review that starts off 'Though I've already written off EpIII as an unmitigated disaster' ... I know I will not be getting an open-minded opinion. Regardless of what is said thereafter, the reviewer has an anti-prequel bias, and anything that reminds him of the prequel films will be viewed in a negative light. It is what I call Star Wars Syndrome, and it is rampant in the 'oh so superior' gaming media since the first of the year. They have had enough of Lucas and LucasArts, they have had enough Star Wars, they are holding grudges about Sam & Max, and they will gladly deduct points from Star Wars games to make a point.

Another thing to remember - this mag just came yesterday, meaning press reviews had to be done ~Feb 1st, meaning they were using a pre-gold build.

All of that makes it hard to objectively assess the game. If you didn't like the demo enough to buy on release, then wait for the 'real' reviews ... ones based on retail games.

Mike

d'spadawan why don't u calm down, take a breath. i have played jka. i have beaten the game and have played multiplayer. but maybe there are some bugs you've encountered and i haven't. i'm sorry for forcing you to insult people instead of explaining in a sane manner what you meant.

but you're right that this isn't the jka forum.

back to topic,

seeing as how gamerankings.com has the average score at 79% only because of pcgamer's score and would be around 80 - 82 without it, i think that the review's score can basically be overlooked. sans the score, it seems that the only thing the pcgamer review has brought new to the table of possible bugs which txa1265 pointed out could be because of a pre-gold version being played. other than that i think it says what every other review has said.

Originally posted by InsaneSith

If you don't like RC I suggest you stay out of the RC.net forums.

I'd take his advice, DruggedSith. You're not gonna make any friends by going around the RC forums telling people about your hate for the game.

Well there's a big difference between discussing a game with honest criticism and trolling.

Let me clarify something, it's OKAY to say bad things about a game in its fan forum.

There is no rule that says "Say good things about RC or else."

However, posting up and saying "this game suxorz!" with no reasons given would be trolling and dealt with. Saying along the lines of "people who like this game are stoopids!" would be flame bait.

Saying "I am disappointed about this game because..." or "I dislike ____ aspect of this game" would be perfectly fine. Nobody would have the right to attack somebody who said such things. Debate is fine, even good. Flaming and trolling are not.

Maybe it's a fine line to some, but I think most of us can see the differences.

Let's say somebody bought the game and played it and was disappointed. That wouldn't mean they weren't allowed to express that opinion on here. Ditto if they got the game and found some "show stopping" bugs and it ruined their experience.

Of course how one expresses that opinion is also of importance. Flame baiting would be the wrong way to do it. But simply expressing an unpopular view is not automatically forbidden.

So let's not get too upset when people don't think like we do.

Criticism of RC IS tolerated. However, be sensible with how you post, don't go out of your way to insult another person with your views or try to upset them on purpose.

Deal? We can all get along AND share our views about the pros and cons of this game, now that it's finally out. ; )

It's true, if you hate the game with a passion, etc. etc. yes, you'd probably be happier not visiting a forum devoted to it, but that's just some friendly advice, not an ultimatum.

Archived